The Student Room Group

Psychology at University - FAQ

Scroll to see replies

darthbuttchin
Hi. Quick question. Obviously for the Stat's side of things, i'll need a calculator. Will a standard scientific calculator that one would use in school do or would a better one be more useful? In the argos catalogue there are a couple and the expensive one says it is most suited to degree work, whereas the other says it is usueful up to A levels. Is This just a marketing ploy or is there some truth in it?

Cheers,

db

Casio fx-85ES or similar.
Reply 81
Thinking of studying Psychology and I found a first year Oxford pdf file here: http://www.celiagreen.com/charlesmccreery/statistics/anova.pdf

Seems interesting but complicated
Reply 82
rikkif1990
Thinking of studying Psychology and I found a first year Oxford pdf file here: http://www.celiagreen.com/charlesmccreery/statistics/anova.pdf

Seems interesting but complicated

Had a look and it looks fairly standard for a first year stats module- at least no more complicated than the stats we do at Warwick (in fact there are many more stats tests you have to learn than just ANOVA'S)
GodspeedGehenna
Casio fx-85ES or similar.

Casio FX-85GTPLUS Scientific Calculator

How bout that?

db
darthbuttchin
Casio FX-85GTPLUS Scientific Calculator

How bout that?

db

It's fine.
Cheers blud

db
I have a question! What's the 2nd year like? I've done my first year at RHUL, which I found extremely boring, so I was wondering if the 2nd year is much better.
star_guitar
I have a question! What's the 2nd year like? I've done my first year at RHUL, which I found extremely boring, so I was wondering if the 2nd year is much better.

Depends on what you're interested in, really.

You don't get any optional modules in 2nd year, and it's a bit of everything.
Reply 88
this threads helped me!
Was thinking of applying for Psychology this month but I'm still not 100% sure!
the only thing holding me back is whether there are career prospects after it? I don't wanna end up not getting a job after, and as interesting as Psychology sounds.. apparently thats the case!
Does anyone feel the same or am i completley wrong?? lol thanks!
hg3
this threads helped me!
Was thinking of applying for Psychology this month but I'm still not 100% sure!
the only thing holding me back is whether there are career prospects after it? I don't wanna end up not getting a job after, and as interesting as Psychology sounds.. apparently thats the case!
Does anyone feel the same or am i completley wrong?? lol thanks!

It's as good as any other subject if you plan on applying to generic graduate steams.

However, on top of that, it provides accreditation to follow Psychology as a vocation, as well as building skills in research methodology and statistical analysis. Subsequently, I often see statistician jobs requesting Psych grads specifically.
Reply 90
Thanks a lot!
I'm not sure if here's the place to post it but I'll ask anyway..
What kind of things make a psychology personal statement stand out from the rest?
Same as any PS really - extra reading around the subject. Try and make it more unusual reading too, not things like 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat'
I agree. Read some decent material. Find yourself a recent journal of whatever area you're interested in and cite some interesting articles.

Don't quote Oliver Sacks ffs.
Reply 93
This has given me so much insight. Thank you man, now I am determined to do psychology in university even if it sounds bloody crazy LOL.
I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the psychology department at Bristol that they wouldnt mind sharing. Ive heard its meant to be good but would like to hear people's opinions :smile:
Reply 95
Wow i should have read this 2 years ago. That said, for A Level maths > stats

and surely chemistry would be better than biology for a level since you can easily read up on neuroscience and such but not chemistry...

just thoughts though, i did physics instead of either of them anyway :P
Original post by Jacke02
Wow i should have read this 2 years ago. That said, for A Level maths > stats

and surely chemistry would be better than biology for a level since you can easily read up on neuroscience and such but not chemistry...

just thoughts though, i did physics instead of either of them anyway :P

I don't really agree. If you did Maths, the majority of it wouldn't be relevant. Ditto for Chem. Bio and Stats are far more precise for that is relevant for Psych.
Reply 97
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I don't really agree. If you did Maths, the majority of it wouldn't be relevant. Ditto for Chem. Bio and Stats are far more precise for that is relevant for Psych.

Doing maths would keep more options open though... quite alot of subjects require it. Just looking on TSR you see the amount of people having second thoughts about psych. In addition the core modules we do for maths are far more interesting than S1 module we did. If anything do Stats1 Stats2 and C1 C2 C3 & C4 in maths.

Not sure what universities think about statistics over maths. Having a broader knowledge base isn't a bad thing either... even though it may not be useful for psych.
Original post by Jacke02
Doing maths would keep more options open though... quite alot of subjects require it. Just looking on TSR you see the amount of people having second thoughts about psych. In addition the core modules we do for maths are far more interesting than S1 module we did. If anything do Stats1 Stats2 and C1 C2 C3 & C4 in maths.

Not sure what universities think about statistics over maths. Having a broader knowledge base isn't a bad thing either... even though it may not be useful for psych.

Okay, well, this thread is about what is useful for Psych, not what will give you a broader base if you decide to change your mind.
Reply 99
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Okay, well, this thread is about what is useful for Psych, not what will give you a broader base if you decide to change your mind.

just sayin :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest