The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School Applicants thread 2012 entry.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iceman_jondoe
So really the moral of the story is to just get predicted AAA so that you don't have to work harder to get an A* I'm still surprised pms make a* offers now I thought only Oxbridge would do that

They have all gone crazy. :eek: Even in the two years since I first applied, there is only one uni that will even consider giving AAB offers.

The rest are all AAA or above.
Hello

I'm interested in applying to penninsula for medicine and got 667.5 avg in ukcat but with 2 sections of 580. I was reading in their prospectus that you need to get a minimum score in each of the four subtests and was just wondering what they were??
Original post by awesomeollie
Hello

I'm interested in applying to penninsula for medicine and got 667.5 avg in ukcat but with 2 sections of 580. I was reading in their prospectus that you need to get a minimum score in each of the four subtests and was just wondering what they were??

Best to call em direct fella
Original post by carcinoma
They have all gone crazy. :eek: Even in the two years since I first applied, there is only one uni that will even consider giving AAB offers.

The rest are all AAA or above.

That's nothing, when I applied they were accepting ABB :biggrin: life is good I feel sorry for those applying now!
definitely applying...open day was awesome
Reply 45
I'm subscribing to this thread - pretty sure I'll be applying to Peninsula!

Anyone who's already there - how do you find the PBL? I spoke to someone who goes there, and she was talking about how they are tested frequently, rather than two weeks of intensive exams at the end of the year. I love the sound of that - I have always learnt things as I go along, so I don't have to go crazy at exam time, so basically this would suit me to a T. Only thing I'm concerned about is PBL - when you get stuck, how easy is it to find someone to help you? How often do you have lectures? How much of the course is completely independant? I like to learn independantly, but I do want to have a bit of structure.
Reply 46
Original post by twelve

Anyone who's already there - how do you find the PBL? I spoke to someone who goes there, and she was talking about how they are tested frequently, rather than two weeks of intensive exams at the end of the year. I love the sound of that - I have always learnt things as I go along, so I don't have to go crazy at exam time, so basically this would suit me to a T. Only thing I'm concerned about is PBL - when you get stuck, how easy is it to find someone to help you? How often do you have lectures? How much of the course is completely independant? I like to learn independantly, but I do want to have a bit of structure.

Twelve!.
Welcome to the thread :biggrin:

We need more re-applicants here.
Reply 47
Original post by joemullally
Twelve!.

Reapplicants will end up taking over the medicine forum...

I guess mostly cause we're the ones with enough time to waste posting around here :P
Reply 48
Original post by twelve
Reapplicants will end up taking over the medicine forum...

I guess mostly cause we're the ones with enough time to waste posting around here :P

Except during the day, because i'm working :frown:.

Works fun though, lots of cake.
Reply 49
Original post by joemullally
Twelve!.

I'm a re-applicant too !
Original post by twelve

We have 8 lectures over a 2 week period. In addition to this we have two 3 hour medical imaging and anatomy tutorials.

PBL is not standalone here, it is complimented by lectures, tutorials, workshops and clinical skills.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=33717289#post33717289

The entire course is heavily structured.
Original post by carcinoma
What are you talking about, Plymouth is amazing. The city is now actually good, and the night life gives Exeter a good spanking on any day of the week.

I don't know, apparently Exeter is the booze capital of the South West. This is according to the Express and Echo, but I don't see how they got that... Unless Nequay has been moved into the sea or something.
Original post by AspiringGenius
I don't know, apparently Exeter is the booze capital of the South West. This is according to the Express and Echo, but I don't see how they got that... Unless Nequay has been moved into the sea or something.

Well that's clearly propaganda, newquay and Plymouth have by far more bars and clubs.
Reply 53
Hey
Can anyone give me the email for the admissions department at Peninsula please :smile:
I sent an email to [email protected] and have had no reply, so im thinking it might be wrong :/

Thanks
Reply 54
Original post by platty1907
Hey
Can anyone give me the email for the admissions department at Peninsula please :smile:
I sent an email to [email protected] and have had no reply, so im thinking it might be wrong :/

Thanks

[email protected]

Sue Davey is the senior coordinator for admissions but would bear in mind that they are really busy with the new admissions joining as this years intake is starting on 19th :smile:
Reply 55
If a person is predicted A*AA they will get a A*AA obv and if a person is predicted AAA they will be offered AAA i think.

so would be more of an advantage if you are predicted AAA, because then you have less pressure (assuming most people who get into medicine do get AAA). BUT do more people who get an offer for peninsula have A*AA prediction?
Reply 56
Original post by no.name
If a person is predicted A*AA they will get a A*AA obv and if a person is predicted AAA they will be offered AAA i think.

so would be more of an advantage if you are predicted AAA, because then you have less pressure (assuming most people who get into medicine do get AAA). BUT do more people who get an offer for peninsula have A*AA prediction?

I don't know, maybee it's to discourage overprediction, that way they can use predictions as a more reliable indicator?
Rather than a tutor being like, yeah they'll get A*A*A*A* and then get ABBD or something. you could probably blag it on results day if you get AAA and were predicted A*AA.
Reply 57
Remarks came back AAA and Peninsula have offered me a direct place for next year! Devon here i come :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys,

So I've been pretty set on Peninsula for the past few weeks but now that my deadline is on Monday I'm having some last minute panics, so if anyone could answer these questions for me I'd be much obliged.

1. I've read around and apparently if you want to be a surgeon then Peninsula isn't the place to go... I want to be a surgeon. Is it true that anatomy is taught badly?
2. Is having to change location annoying? Can you not choose to stay in one place?
3. Is Plymouth a genuinely nice place? I grew up in London so I have experienced "rough" but for uni I really want to be in a city that's student friendly and safe.

Thanks!
Reply 59
Ok The ukcat is over(hurray) and my score is 672.5.I got 730 in AR and 760 in DA but only 550 in VR. I am going for :

Peninsula
St George's

but cant decide on others.
I have A levels in Bio (A) Chem(A) Maths(A) and AS English(B)
7 A*s and 4A's GCSE
Any help appreciated......
Please QUOTE me!

Quick Reply

Latest