The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sick, sick, sick squat and deadlift but what's with the bench? Long arms?
Reply 21
Long arms and a rotator cuff injury. I don't think i'll ever be a good bencher but I'd like to think, given I put on 20kg last year, I'd be up to 140kg if I didn't get myself injured. My chest and tri's just don't seem to have the same 'pop' like my quads, hams and lower back has - it's like they're made of different muscle all together. My upper body responds better to bodybuilding while my lower likes strength. My 'big 3' are always going to be an odd ratio.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Didn't you say you trained with Ken Nowicki?
He's on TV here right now, for some reason they're showing UK's Strongest Man!
Reply 23
Yeah I used to train with him and his brother regularly a couple years back when we were all at Results gym together.

BDFPA Scottish Open

Woke up at 6am, and left for Glasgow. No breakfast. Arrived, weighed in with my tracksuit bottoms and socks on.

Weight 84.2kg. So call it 84kg without bottoms. Then had my breakfast.

Deadlift

Warming up I felt fine, the weights seemed quicker although it's difficult to gauge without a mirror.

Opener - 250kg - Easy
Second - 280kg - Easy
Third - 315kg - Miss

I couldn't be bothered with a fight, which 315kg would've been at this stage. I was just following the general theme of after you've qualified - go for broke which a few of us were doing. It'll come.

British Singles in 3 weeks. Will be pulling from all heights + SLDL, everything but a normal deadlift over the next 3 weeks.

My training partner hit 4 PB's which was great for him. Had a bit of trouble getting back to Aberdeen tonight. I drove down fine, came back out of the venue and tried to pull away. Got an awful grinding noise and stopped. Drivers side front spring had completely snapped! So had a nice journey back to Aberdeen in the recovery truck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Good stuff.

1. How long have you been training?
2. How you so strong?
3. When will it be my turn to be this strong?
Reply 25
Congratulations on the qualification!
Original post by Michael XYZ
Good stuff.

2. How you so strong?

I remember way back in the day on TSR, nun, nick and I were some of the first fitness members on here - and we were all pretty much beginners. Those were the days lol
Reply 27
Yeah they were the good old days. I remember when James Copping and Ash Fletcher used to post on here aswell. The fitness forum has evolved quite a lot since then.
Y u no answer?
Reply 29
Original post by Becca
Congratulations on the qualification!

:smile:
Reply 30
Good stuff.

2. How you so strong?

Y u no answer?

1) I've been going to the gym for 6 years
2) Because I've lifted for 6 years
3) When you reach 6 years?
Reply 31
Tonight

Deficit SLDL (Beltless) - First time doing these - top set is a default PB

200kg x 2
240kg x 1
250kg x 1 - More there which is promising, one of the hardest ways to pull i've come across

CGBP - Worked up to a solid 100 x 3 or 4, I can't remember
Dips - 2 x 15 bodyweight

Lots of stretching

Day off tomorrow then squats and deads on Wednesday
If that was the one at Scotstoun then i think my mate might have been there too.

Ric pulled 220kg but failed 230kg.
Reply 33
Yeah it was the one down at Scotstoun. Didn't speak with him in person but he's still a junior, got plenty of time to get stronger.
Reply 34

Chest striations popping when deadlifting, in decent shape if I do say so myself :biggrin:
How old are you brah?
Reply 36
I will be 24 towards the end of this month but after the comp so I'll still be in the junior age catergory.

Tonights efforts

SLDL

70kg x 3
120kg x 1
160kg x 1
200kg x 1
230kg x 1
260kg x 1
280kg x 1

Goodmoring + 1 squat rep

70kg x 5
100kg x 3
130kg x 3
140kg x 3
150kg x 3 - Happy with that, no knee pain

Chins - 3 x 8

Peaking quite nicely for the comp, think i'm going to have to go 300+ to come away with a win.
Reply 37
Original post by Herr Stamper

Chest striations popping when deadlifting, in decent shape if I do say so myself :biggrin:

That's not you, is it?
Reply 38
Lol why do you say that? Were you expecting some fresh faced youngster with long golden locks?
Reply 39
Original post by Herr Stamper
Lol why do you say that? Were you expecting some fresh faced youngster with long golden locks?

Yes No.

But I thought you were like low 80s and almost 6 foot. Look a little thick to be that size.

Quick Reply