The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2012: The early bird catches the firm!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zterpzterp
I have applied to five vac schemes this year, and have been rejected from all of them.

To summarise, I applied with the following:

5 GCSEs
No A-Levels (I took the Open University equivalent of A-level Spanish and a couple of first year English linguistics modules in lieu of A-Levels to get to University)
A high 2.1 from a Russell Group Uni in languages.
Work experience in retail.

I was wondering whether I could be given some tips as to what might be counting against me, I haven't applied for the GDL yet, does this indicate a lack of seriousness? Is my lack of A-Levels or poor GCSEs the main problem? Lack of relevant work experience?

The impression I get of how firms view people with unconventional academic backgrounds is that having some professional experience - either in law or something that could be related to law - is important.

There are some firms that will automatically reject you without the minimum A-levels as they have filters for that sort of basic information, but there are plenty that will overlook it if you have other strengths. You may find you have to try and work your way up - e.g. work as a legal secretary, followed by work as a paralegal. It may also depend if you have mitgating circumstances for not doing A-levels. However, your degree stands you in good stead to convice firms that you are academically able.
Original post by moves_like_jagger
Got a call from Mayer Brown yesterday but missed it; the HR lady left a voicemail and I called back twice but she was either away or on the other line. It's 11am and they haven't called still! I interviewed for a VS. Should I call again or am starting to look desperate already? I can't live with this suspense!

How was the interview? I heard its all competency, my friend heard back pretty soon after so should be good news for you! Any qs that caught you out?
Burges Salmon PFO!! And I thought it was my best application...:mad:
Reply 1983
Um it's been a week since my interview so if your friend heard back 'pretty soon' then I doubt it's good news as a week isn't 'pretty soon'. Or is it? Interview was ok, nothing caught me out really, except she asked random things like what frustrated you about your degree and what makes you happy- bit unconventional but not all that hard to answer!

EDIT: what I really want to know is if they reject by email and offer just by phone, or if they reject and offer by phone...

They don't call if its bad news!
Reply 1984
You sure?

I have never heard of a firm calling you to give you a rejection. They either email or send you a letter by post...
Reply 1985
Original post by Old Reliable
The impression I get of how firms view people with unconventional academic backgrounds is that having some professional experience - either in law or something that could be related to law - is important.

zterpzterp, I'm in a similar position as I also have an unconventional background (although my results aren't as good as yours).

Experience and results can be important, but the content of your applications is paramount. If you don't have any experience you still need to be able to demonstrate that you have a thorough grasp of the area. Without seeing your applications I don't know what they require in the way of commercial awareness questions, or more generic 'Why us/why law' questions, or simply a cover letter and CV.

I assume your applications are very good, but they may lack the edge firms look for. I asked for feedback from a firm which rejected me for its VS asking if I was rejected due to something I couldn't change such as my degree results, or something I could, such as experience. After a week or so Iwas told that although my degree results were interesting, because I had experience with a firm in the same legal area, I should have learnt more from it. I reviewed my application and realised although I had learnt a lot from my work experience, I had not demonstrated this sufficiently in my application. I made sure to put more detailed and area-specific answers in my other applications.

Don't be disheartened, and ask for feedback from the firms you applied to so you can stop agonising over whether it's because you haven't applied for a GDL yet or if they're rejecting you due to your A-Levels, which I suspect isn't the case at all.

All they can do is ignore you or say no!
Original post by Old Reliable
Hi. Yep, I have done one. Was a couple of weeks ago now so I'm trying to remember the format. The competency questions were fairly standard - teamworking, building relationships etc.

On the commercial front they asked about the origins of the recession. Can't remember if they asked anything else on the commercial front but if they did it was quite general stuff.

One thing I would say is that you really do need to know about AG. Check out their key facts section on the website as they fire some questions about AG's profits, numbers of partners etc which it's easy to come unstuck on as you can't blag them. Also check out a couple of their clients and deals, and think about what makes AG unique - e.g. what sort of innovations have they come up with recently.

I thought my interview had gone terribly as the interviewer was quite severe but I got through to the next round so don't be put off if you think it's going badly as I think it's just the interview style they adopt.

Thank you for taking the time to get back to me.

Good luck at the AC and all the best in general!
Um it's been a week since my interview so if your friend heard back 'pretty soon' then I doubt it's good news as a week isn't 'pretty soon'. Or is it? Interview was ok, nothing caught me out really, except she asked random things like what frustrated you about your degree and what makes you happy- bit unconventional but not all that hard to answer!

EDIT: what I really want to know is if they reject by email and offer just by phone, or if they reject and offer by phone...

My friend heard back 3 days later I think and its pretty safe to assume that they call to offer and email to reject but don't get your hopes up just incase. Last year this time they were already full up and they called to offer a tc AC instead. Im guessing u didnt get that weird q about letting down a team or something then? That threw people off I heard.

My friend's interview was 2 weeks ago and with the 31st deadline and snow maybe things have been slower at the office. So many reasons for being delayed I wouldn't look into it too much.
(edited 12 years ago)

Hmmm I hope they aren't full up because I did interview on the 30th of January... so hope they still have places! If the lady doesn't call in the next ten minutes then I am calling her because I can't take this anymore!!!!!

What is the point in wasting their time? They will be in touch when they can be in touch. Why not just do another TC application for another firm and put your energy into that this afternoon!!!
Reply 1989
Clifford Chance call to reject for a TC...

Sorry to hear that. As others, said don't take anything for granted. If you left a voice mail, they will get back to you for sure. Good luck though and hopefully you get the offer! :smile:
This just happened to me. Good thing or bad thing? FML

What happened to you?
Mayer Brown have no places on their spring VS so fast tracked to me to a TC interview.

couldn't they give you a summer vs offer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Miss Anna
couldn't they give you a summer vc offer?

They said that is only for undergrads! IT even said on their website...
Reply 1993
Original post by Miss Anna
couldn't they give you a summer vs offer?

I have an interview at an American law firm coming up, can you help me please? Thanks!
They said that is only for undergrads! IT even said on their website...

Right I see, sorry my mistake I didn't realise. At least you can get on one of their first ACs so they would be less stringent with offers and its much better than a rejection!
Original post by Moghul
I have an interview at an American law firm coming up, can you help me please? Thanks!

Which firm is it? Not sure I can help but PM me with what you need help on and we can discuss :smile:
Just got an offer for Ashurst for their spring scheme! I applied to the summer one but they said because of the Olympics they are trying to put more people on the spring one.

Original post by Caroline_
I also have one coming up next week. Can you share what it was like afterwards? No idea what to expect

I just had the interview, it is really nothing to worry about, the partner I had was really nice and it was just competency stuff. Apparently they let you know the outcome within 2ish weeks. Good luck!
AC with WRAGGE! YAAAYY!
Anyone know where I can practice the Watson Glaser test??
Reply 1999
Original post by Balagan
Interview with Olswang :smile:

any tips would be very appreciated!

Me too :smile:

I've asked around and apparently it's quite informal - more along the lines of a 'getting to know you' type chat...

Has anyone heard anything from Macfarlanes, Farrer's or Charles Russell?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending