The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miryo
Ok, explain to me what spurs can do of OKC defend like they did last night. It was near flawless defence

OKC won't defend like they did last night every night though. They'll regress to the mean, which is an average defense that doesn't cover the P&R well, and gives up the most corner 3's in the league. Both of which are where San Antonio makes it's living.

Even if they did defend like that for the rest of the series, which they won't, Ibaka isn't going to get 14 a night, Sefolosha definitely isn't going to get 19 a night. Manu isn't going to just hit 1 FG every night, Leonard, Green, Diaw and Bonner aren't going to contribute a combined 6 points every night regardless of how they're defended.

In addition to this, OKC's defensive adjustments that worked so well, have almost certainly opened up some other weakness in their defense. It's damn near impossible to not give some sort of weakness up on the defensive end regardless of the strategy you employ, and if there's any coach the league who can study the game tape and adjust sets to exploit the new inevitable weaknesses, it's Pop.

tldr: OKC won't defend on the level they did last night for the rest of the series, and if they do, it won't result in a blowout every night.
Reply 3001
Original post by SamF1992
OKC won't defend like they did last night every night though. They'll regress to the mean, which is an average defense that doesn't cover the P&R well, and gives up the most corner 3's in the league. Both of which are where San Antonio makes it's living.

Even if they did defend like that for the rest of the series, which they won't, Ibaka isn't going to get 14 a night, Sefolosha definitely isn't going to get 19 a night. Manu isn't going to just hit 1 FG every night, Leonard, Green, Diaw and Bonner aren't going to contribute a combined 6 points every night regardless of how they're defended.

In addition to this, OKC's defensive adjustments that worked so well, have almost certainly opened up some other weakness in their defense. It's damn near impossible to not give some sort of weakness up on the defensive end regardless of the strategy you employ, and if there's any coach the league who can study the game tape and adjust sets to exploit the new inevitable weaknesses, it's Pop.

tldr: OKC won't defend on the level they did last night for the rest of the series, and if they do, it won't result in a blowout every night.

You seem to have taken all the credit from OKC and just said that Spurs' were poor. The reason the Spurs' played so badly, the reason for the low points was OKC defence.

This performance will definately give OKC some momentum, if the team just put in the same work rate, I think Spurs' will find it difficult. If they keep Parker and Ginobli quiet, I think its going to be impossible for Spurs.

Also, the reason Ibaka and Sefolosha got so many points was because Westbrook passed the ball, if he carries on doing that, I can't see why OKC won't turn them over.
Original post by Miryo
You seem to have taken all the credit from OKC and just said that Spurs' were poor. The reason the Spurs' played so badly, the reason for the low points was OKC defence.

This performance will definately give OKC some momentum, if the team just put in the same work rate, I think Spurs' will find it difficult. If they keep Parker and Ginobli quiet, I think its going to be impossible for Spurs.

Also, the reason Ibaka and Sefolosha got so many points was because Westbrook passed the ball, if he carries on doing that, I can't see why OKC won't turn them over.

I know the Thunder played well and I'm not taking anything away from them, but players like Ginobli aren't going to hit just 1 FG on too many occasions, regardless of how good the defense is.

The main issue is though, is that the Thunder will find it very difficult to keep up such a good standard on D over the rest of the series. As you said, they played near perfect defense last night, but they're generally an average defensive team that defends the pick and roll poorly and gives up lots of corner 3's. The likelyhood is that over the course of the next 4 games, they regress to the mean, which is average defense. That's not to say they won't be better than they were in the regular season, but it's unlikely they'll be as good as last night on a consistent basis.
Reply 3003
The big difference IMO was Perk played less minutes last night and when he was out he was in sets to help cover him whereas in Games 1 and 2 he was getting abused in the pick and roll by Ginobili and particularly Parker but the Spurs will work out how to get what they want against the Thunders smaller set before long and also the play of Westbrook was influentual and will be a big factor for the Thunder (as ever) as the series progresses
:awesome:

Mildly annoyed though, we should have won game 2 and should be up 2-1 right now.
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon

Mildly annoyed though, we should have won game 2 and should be up 2-1 right now.

Yea, I imagine the Celts are pretty pissed too.

I'm annoyed as well. I was listening to it at night in the dark, fell asleep a minute into the second quarter and woke up with 4 minutes left and them up 15. I missed all the good parts!

Same here man! Bring on game 4, though!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3008
MARQUIS DANIELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a beast... guarding Lebron like that.

Lebron got positively zero help from anyone. Wade played **** (he'll get a pass for it though).

I expect the Heat to win in game 4 and take it in 6.
I bet that Harris guy was crying whilst watching that game, his most hated player lighting the heat up. :rofl:
I bet that Harris guy was crying whilst watching that game, his most hated player lighting the heat up. :rofl:

Yup crying that we still have a lead, definitely crying.
Original post by johnharris19944
Yup crying that we still have a lead, definitely crying.

You have a lead because of homecourt.. that is all.
You have a lead because of homecourt.. that is all.

They have lead because they won the first two games, that is all...

Anyway Heat in 6 games i think. Same with Spurs- Thunder.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3013
Spur to take this and then I hope it still goes until game 7 :colonhash:
Reply 3014
Original post by S-man10
Spur to take this and then I hope it still goes until game 7 :colonhash:

You were gone a while son. You missed the C's take a dump on your Heat. Marquis Daniels completely beasted Lebron lmao.

Anyway, I expect SAS to take tonights game and wrap this up in 5 or max 6.
Reply 3015
Original post by Xotol
You were gone a while son. You missed the C's take a dump on your Heat. Marquis Daniels completely beasted Lebron lmao.

Anyway, I expect SAS to take tonights game and wrap this up in 5 or max 6.

Yeah, I saw that. Although not surprising, I expected it to happen. not to worry, Heat wrap it up in 5 with Chris Bosh's imminent return :h:

Later that night Rondo scored 44 points
KD was a beast in the 4th tonight
Ibaka with a perfect game
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3018
wow what a great match, I think both teams shot at least 60% after the 2nd half. I was rooting for the Spurs though I have to admit OKC played really well.
thunder in 7 if they win game 5, spurs in 6 if they win game 5..

heat in 5 this east series needs to end rondo deserves a mvp award because the celts aint taking a ring !

Latest