The Student Room Group

Naming compounds.... (v. easy)

I'm probs being v. stupid somewhere

I thought it would be dimethyl butan-1-ol

If you label the carbon joined to the –OH as 1 and then 2, 3 as you come right?

But it's butan-2-ol.... whyy ? :/

thanks a lot! :smile:
Original post by Jasmine_777
If you label the carbon joined to the –OH as 1 and then 2, 3 as you come right?

You label chains from one end to the other, so the carbon attached to the OH is either 2 or 3.

But it's butan-2-ol.... whyy ? :/

thanks a lot! :smile:

Longest chain is four carbons and the OH is on carbon 2 or 3 - and you use the lowest number possible :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EierVonSatan
You label chains from one end to the other, so the carbon attached to the OH is either 2 or 3.

Longest chain is four carbons and the OH is on carbon 2 or 3 - and you use the lowest number possible :smile:

It looks like it should be 2 methyl butan-2-ol to me, or when drawing it out just from the name butan 2 ol you would miss a methyl group
Reply 3
Original post by alex5455
It looks like it should be 2 methyl butan-2-ol to me, or when drawing it out just from the name butan 2 ol you would miss a methyl group

Agreed it is 2-methylbutan-2-ol :biggrin:
Original post by alex5455

:yep: I was just saying why the root of the name is butan-2-ol not butan-1-ol
Reply 5
Original post by EierVonSatan

PRSOM. :tongue:

Thank you! Losing all my AS knowledge. Sigh.

Quick Reply

Latest