The Student Room Group

Exeter, Sheffield, Queen Mary or Gap Year?

Having screwed up my LNAT, got rejected from my first two choices, Oxford and UCL, and have been left with offers from Exeter, Sheffield and Queen Mary. I got 8A*S and an A at GCSE, AAAAB at AS and am predicted A*A*A at A2. Which one to choose/ do I choose any of them?!

Reply 1
Original post by aj1994
Having screwed up my LNAT, got rejected from my first two choices, Oxford and UCL, and have been left with offers from Exeter, Sheffield and Queen Mary. I got 8A*S and an A at GCSE, AAAAB at AS and am predicted A*A*A at A2. Which one to choose/ do I choose any of them?!

Bonuses to each Queen Mary you get 7.7k minimum and accomadation is 5k... means you have a nice life :smile: exeter is for oxbridge rejects as is UCL so you might fit in there? Sheffield i guess is good, but don't know much just that it appears quite fun :smile: personally it'd be exeter and queen mary as insurance. another bonus to london is contacts?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by pshewitt1
Bonuses to each Queen Mary you get 7.7k minimum and accomadation is 5k... means you have a nice life :smile: exeter is for oxbridge rejects as is UCL so you might fit in there? Sheffield i guess is good, but don't know much just that it appears quite fun :smile: personally it'd be exeter and queen mary as insurance

Sadly QM want A*AA and Exeter wants AAA, so I'm thinking it's a crazy insurance... and having spent the past 13 years in rah-land, not sure I can deal with another 3...
Original post by aj1994
Sadly QM want A*AA and Exeter wants AAA, so I'm thinking it's a crazy insurance... and having spent the past 13 years in rah-land, not sure I can deal with another 3...

The first point I am going to make is one that seems perennially overlooked on TSR. LNAT is an aptitude test. The universities that use believe that it identifies people who are suited to study law academically. That view is clearly not universally held as otherwise every university would use it. However, if you do poorly on LNAT, then you should always review whether you do have an aptitude for the academic study of law. Everyone who struggles, drops out or gets a 2:2 wants to study law and everyone meets the A level grade requirements for their university. They cannot all be dismissed as lazy.

Next, why did you choose Exeter if you wanted gritty urban realism. Wouldn't Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham or Liverpool have been a better choice? Moreover you have received standard offers from both Queen Mary and Exeter. Therefore you always faced being in this position.
Exeter will give you much better career prospects than the others. Don't worry about the LNAT. Cambridge for example got rid of it because it doesn't offer any real insight into a candidate's abilities concerning law.

As for the gap year, it's your choice really but I don't see how it can help. Exeter is an excellent uni, still improving. There's no point in throwing away an offer from there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Legen...dary!!
Exeter will give you much better career prospects than the others. Don't worry about the LNAT. Cambridge for example got rid of it because it doesn't offer any real insight into a candidate's abilities concerning law.

As for the gap year, it's your choice really but I don't see how it can help. Exeter is an excellent uni, still improving. There's no point in throwing away an offer from there.

Did you intentionally search for a thread which would allow you to big up Exeter?

This thread is 5 months old.
Reply 6
Original post by nulli tertius
The first point I am going to make is one that seems perennially overlooked on TSR. LNAT is an aptitude test. The universities that use believe that it identifies people who are suited to study law academically. That view is clearly not universally held as otherwise every university would use it. However, if you do poorly on LNAT, then you should always review whether you do have an aptitude for the academic study of law. Everyone who struggles, drops out or gets a 2:2 wants to study law and everyone meets the A level grade requirements for their university. They cannot all be dismissed as lazy.

Next, why did you choose Exeter if you wanted gritty urban realism. Wouldn't Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham or Liverpool have been a better choice? Moreover you have received standard offers from both Queen Mary and Exeter. Therefore you always faced being in this position.

I went from 10/42 to 21/42 in the LNAT in the space of a year and managed to get into UCL. I wouldn't base one's ability to study Law on ONE exam.
Original post by tkane
I went from 10/42 to 21/42 in the LNAT in the space of a year and managed to get into UCL. I wouldn't base one's ability to study Law on ONE exam.

Note what I said:-

However, if you do poorly on LNAT, then you should always review whether you do have an aptitude for the academic study of law.

I didn't say, "give up". I said think about it. The reason I said that is because a goodly number of people do poorly on a law degree and that isn't solely do to not working. Some people do poorly on a law degree because they are not very good at it.
Original post by Tsunami2011
Did you intentionally search for a thread which would allow you to big up Exeter?

This thread is 5 months old.

Are you intentionally being annoying? I don't particularly look at dates when I post as new students will have to look through old threads as well for advice. And are you actually disputing what I said?

I think we've had trouble once before. If so, back off.
Are you intentionally being annoying? I don't particularly look at dates when I post as new students will have to look through old threads as well for advice. And are you actually disputing what I said?

I think we've had trouble once before. If so, back off.

I'm just curious as to how you actually found this thread. What you're saying doesn't even seem accurate, those universities are all around the same level, yet you say one will offer ''much better career prospects'
Original post by Tsunami2011
I'm just curious as to how you actually found this thread. What you're saying doesn't even seem accurate, those universities are all around the same level, yet you say one will offer ''much better career prospects'

I mainly search for my uni as it's the one I obviously know the most about. Perhaps it doesn't seem accurate to YOU. My opinion is, and so is the opinion of all the major league tables that these universities are not around the same level, plus I happen to know a few people who went there and I would actually be offended if anyone thought we were of the same intelligence. One of them in particular goes to queen Mary. He had 3 or 4 As at a-level, didn't take Maths at all, and definitely took up government and politics, and media. Don't tell me that person goes to a uni as good as mine.
I mainly search for my uni as it's the one I obviously know the most about. Perhaps it doesn't seem accurate to YOU. My opinion is, and so is the opinion of all the major league tables that these universities are not around the same level, plus I happen to know a few people who went there and I would actually be offended if anyone thought we were of the same intelligence. One of them in particular goes to queen Mary. He had 3 or 4 As at a-level, didn't take Maths at all, and definitely took up government and politics, and media. Don't tell me that person goes to a uni as good as mine.

Fair enough, my apologies then. This is in the law forum, and by that discriminator, Exeter doesn't really fare much better than Sheffield or QM for Law, if anything it does worse than the overall university does in general rankings. I don't understand? is 3-4 As at A-Level meant to be average? Maths is not in any shape or form compulsory for a Law degree, if anything Government and Politics is more relevant for some modules i.e English Legal System. I'm sure some law students at Exeter will have studied Gov/Pol, it doesn't really say much about your intelligence. A lot more than your university determines your intelligence.
exeter offers better employment prospects than sheff+qmul? rofl:rolleyes:

look at http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ and compare the law departments of different unis where you can properly look at percentages of those getting 2.1's/1sts etc, total number of undergrad law students of each law department and even the percentage of international students studying law.

in this case, sheffield is an excellent place to study law. managing partner of clifford chance and CEO of dla piper (david childs and nigel knowles both studied their LLB at sheffield), and there are plenty of others who have become partners/directors/QCs at major top MC/City firms such as at slaughter & may, allen & overy, herbert smith, nabarro etc etc.. - http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/law/alumni/profiles so don't make random claims with a straight face that one is better than the other:rolleyes:
(i am biased as i will be applying to sheff but ofc exeter/qmul and nearly every other RG uni is neither better or worser than each other)

ps. don't take the GAP year. i'm predicted A*AAA and still firmed sheff for law and yet i have never considered a GAP year in the hope of applying to a 'better' RG uni as they're all the same (unless it's oxbridge only)!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending