The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In all honesty, nobody cares provided you're within the letter of the law.
You'll want to dress smartly for interview, but the tutors aren't going to bother to try and remember the names and faces of those attending open days.
Agreed - when I attended an open day at Cambridge, almost everyone (both boys and girls) wore jeans and casual tops. If my memory serves me correctly, one or two did wear a suit-type thing, but to be honest this just looked way over-the-top and quite silly compared to everyone else. The point of open days is to give you a relaxed idea of the uni/dept/college before the more formal interview days, so just wear what's comfortable.

Which open day are you planning to attend, btw?
Reply 3
You can wear absolutely anything you want, my love, provided it's decent!

The open days are for *you* to have a look around the place - you are NOT being judged at all. It is NOT part of the interview process, promise. :smile: The important thing is to have a good look around at what the place has to offer - the place isn't looking at *you've* got to offer *it* at this stage. Have a good day!

E x
Reply 4
Classics open day hopefully! Should be good! Bit nervous though bout what to expect... First thing like this! :smile:
Reply 5
Which colleges are you looking around, or is it all based in one?

Ooh, wait, are you one of the 6th formers that Christ's is hosting open days for?
Reply 6
Yeah i'm a 6th former... and yeah all based one me thinks. Its on the 23rd March if that helps! :s-smilie: :biggrin:
Reply 7
xangeldelightx
Yeah i'm a 6th former... and yeah all based one me thinks. Its on the 23rd March if that helps! :s-smilie: :biggrin:

Hmm, don't think you'll be visiting Christ's then as I seem to recall that all ours are on Thursdays. If you have spare time, poke someone into taking you to the river (not in town, to the east past where all the boathouses are, there'll be marshals in yellow jackets and people like me biking along the towpaths) as the getting on races for the Lent bumps will be happening all afternoon.
Reply 8
Childermass
Hmm, don't think you'll be visiting Christ's then as I seem to recall that all ours are on Thursdays. If you have spare time, poke someone into taking you to the river (not in town, to the east past where all the boathouses are, there'll be marshals in yellow jackets and people like me biking along the towpaths) as the getting on races for the Lent bumps will be happening all afternoon.

awesome! will do!
Reply 9
xangeldelightx
Any suggestions... Skirt / trousers etc?!

Does it matter?

In the words of my tutor, "...please do wear something!"
Reply 10
xangeldelightx
Any suggestions... Skirt / trousers etc?!

Are you serious?!
Reply 11
There will be so many people there the tutors wont remember you, they wont be bothered at all what you are wearing. I dressed in skinny jeans, weird top and amazing glittery shoes (i loved those shoes....dont know why I wrote a list of what I wore-think i just wanted to reminise about those groovy shoes....) Anyway just dress comfortably. it doesnt matter!
I honestly can't believe people worry about this kind of thing...fair enough with the interview I can understand people who wear a suit, but an open day!?
Reply 13
Just to add, the people who did turn up at my open day in suits etc looked absolute prats and they looked so uncomfortable!
Childermass

I thought I was bad in trying to get people interested in boatieing... but I generally waited until they were freshers... :p:
I think I'll just wear jeans and a T-shirt then, although to be honest I wouldn't really have considered wearing anything else for an open day...

Yay Oriental Studies open day here I come! My train tickets arrived last night, am all ready to go basically :p:
FadeToBlackout
I thought I was bad in trying to get people interested in boatieing... but I generally waited until they were freshers... :p:

It's never too early to start brainwa... informing people about rowing. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, you turning up on Fri?
Wear whatever you like - as others have said, it really doesn't matter. But wear comfy shoes; you're quite likely to be on your feet a lot if my experience was anything to go by. :wink:
Reply 18
Wear whatever you want, just put some cloth on your body that don't smell :smile: And remembering my own open day experiences, be prepared for walking A LOT. You're there to have a look on everything possible and that involves being on foot all day long...so no high heels or such scary things if you want to survive... :P
Reply 19
Also, Cambridge (and Oxford, to an extent) has LOTS of cobbles, so heels are a bad idea on that count!