The Student Room Group

Little red spots on upper arms

With the weather getting warmer I would quite like to be able to wear short-sleeved tees but I don't really feel confident doing it because I've got these little red spots on the sides of my upper arms. Does anyone else have them and/or know how to get rid of them?! I'm getting totally sick of them...

found a pic on the interwebs: (mine's slightly worse/obvious than that)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
can't really see it, doesnt seem too bad. I wouldn't worry about it. Do you know what caused it?? Maybe just make sure you wear clean clothes, shower reg and the usual.
Reply 2
Hmm think I have them a bit, I think it's because the skin is just really dry? Could see a dermatologist if it bothers you that much.
Reply 3
You might have a skin condition called Keratosis pilaris. It is extremely common. I have it also but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris
Reply 4
It could be shingles! the sister-bug to chicken pox!
Reply 5
Yep, I went to the doctor about this and she recommended exfoliating with those glovies things, and then using salycylic acid cream at about 2% to get rid of them.

But check it out with the doctor.
*Natalie*
You might have a skin condition called Keratosis pilaris. It is extremely common. I have it also but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

Wow thanks I didn't know it was actually called something, thought they were just dodgy spots, seriously have been there forever! Wow. lol. I keep em down with Clean and Clear exfoliating stuff on one of those shower scrubbers, and NEVER itching my arm. Haha.
Reply 7
I have had keratosis pilaris since I was very young, I have it on my face aswell although those ones seem to have disappeared. I would recommend scrubbing them quite hard with an exfoliator glove. It might hurt a bit but it gets rid of the little bits of fat under your skin.
Reply 8
I've got them and know a fair few people who have too. I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 9
Seems like no matter how many people in the world claim to have KP, I never meet another one.

OP - I use Eucerin cream which contains urea. Doesn't work as such, but it helps a little.
Reply 10
Yep, I have this, as do my mother and brother, so I guess it's a genetic thing. Don't let it bother you, they're not exactly an eyesore, there are much worse skin conditions you could have. They've never stopped me wearing short sleeves, and nobody's ever pointed them out except for my mum. :p:
Reply 11
got one, and so do loads of even the prettiest people in my uni and we joke about it making us stand out lol -_-
Reply 12
I have that. I don't care - have to wear vest tops for dancing all year round and it doesn't bother me.

If you had really bad acne or something you really, really wouldn't think it was bad!

I'm blessed with acne on my back and those blights on my arms. Niiiiiiiice.
Reply 13
It looks a bit like mild eczema, if they have come recently and your arm has been exposed it might be sun rash, try keeping your arm out of sun and apply a cream for rashes then it will probably go. If I was you I wouldn't bother though (unless it goes worse) as it is hardly noticable on you.
Reply 14
check out this link

http://www.dermadoctor.com/product.asp?AID=5960&productid=850

I have the same probelm as you tymbnuip

I am a guy 33.

I have found a nice tan help's so I try and aim to go on holiday for 2 weeks each year. With tanning cream, sun tan and going in the water all the time helps get rid of them, but they always come back.

Failling that, I am considering getting 2 tatoo's to cover most of my upper arms.

I have not found anything to get rid of them completely which is what I want to do, they seem to be getting worse for me.

I am in need of some cream, anything that will fight against them.
hey, i had the same problem..until I used Dove's soap with exfoliating bits in it for about a month now, washing them everyday throughly and they've cleared up loads! might be worth a try too :smile:
Reply 16
I have the same problem as the OP, it's really not a big deal. Exfoliation and moisturising helps to minimize it.
Exfoliation ftw.
Reply 18
tymbnuip
With the weather getting warmer I would quite like to be able to wear short-sleeved tees but I don't really feel confident doing it because I've got these little red spots on the sides of my upper arms. Does anyone else have them and/or know how to get rid of them?! I'm getting totally sick of them...

That can be keratosis pilaris or folliculitis.
Reply 19
I went to the doc's today, we both sat there and researched it on the net and his info files.

We came up with Glycolic acid cream, and cream containing Urea.

I do not have this condition in the extreme, my skin is reasonable, I just have deep in red dot's under my skin on my arms mainly.

Someone mentioned Salicylic acid cream at 2%...The glycolic acid cream is the stuff I think...it has a hyroxy meaning it will hydrate the skin and help reform new poors. I think those ret dot's are poors that are not reforming.

Glycolic acid cream £9.99 (ebay)

Urea cream £7.99 (ebay)

Retin-A cream (quite expensive) but works twice as fast but you get a lot less for the money.

Neutrogena - Multi-Vitamin Acne Treatment (after exfoliating and before bed)

Quick Reply