The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They would probably be ok a day after, maybe even a couple of days, but I wouldn't risk it myself tbh. Can't you get salmonella from eggs or something?
Reply 2
Put them in a container of fresh cold water. The higher they rise, the dodgier they are. If they float completely, they're probably not safe. I think as long as they don't float, they're edible.

EDIT:

Researched a bit, and if it rests on its pointed side on the bottom, it's a bit older but fine to eat, if it floats, it's stale. Really fresh eggs should lie sideways on the bottom.
Reply 3
no seriously, i work on a farm.... eggs usually have best before dates of about 28 days since they were laid. They will be fine to eat up until 6 weeks after! I wouldn't recommend going above six weeks though.
Reply 4
If its green, dont eat it
Reply 5
yea do the float test. personally i probably wouldnt eat them though but it has only been a day. eggs can be fickle.
I always thought that you could eat things after the 'Best before' date but not after the 'Use by' date. So if it says best before you're probably ok eating it.
Reply 7
Lemons
They would probably be ok a day after, maybe even a couple of days, but I wouldn't risk it myself tbh. Can't you get salmonella from eggs or something?

Yeah but only if they are raw (cooking kills salmonella) and if they have been laid by a salmonella infected hen. It doesn't grow by itself in the eggs.
Reply 8
Depends how you store them too - are they on the side, or in the fridge?

Crack one open and see how they smell.

The water test is a good one.

I have some with BBE 21st oct, and I don't mind eating them long after that date, but its personal preference.

:ditto: about the salmonella.
Reply 9
I used some that were out of date the other day. I wasn't ill and they tasted alright. Like someone has already said, don't eat them if they are green.

Latest