The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

I think this is the most disheartening thread I've ever seen. Apart from the other one which I've already commented on!
Reply 21
AnnyRoquentin
I think this is the most disheartening thread I've ever seen. Apart from the other one which I've already commented on!

I need your glasses. :cool:
Reply 22
Both taken from camera phones lol

Reply 23
AnnyRoquentin

Oh.. :frown: Why..?
Reply 24
London
Couldn't figure out how to put them here :s-smilie:
Reply 25
Maybe not my best, but I really like these two. First is my baby niece (about 6 months old there), second is © www.planetangel.net

Ghost
Oh.. :frown: Why..?

Because there is nothing inspiring, intelligent or original to be found in anything here. I've posted something more constructive and precise in another thread 'photography habits' or something. Anyway. The content of these photographs is so so mundane, please god, I can't look at another sunset or flower. There is no thought behind anything, has anyone thought about why they're taking this photograph? Why are they showing it to people? What to they want people to gain from it, what influences this? What does it represent? Time? The death of time? Can a photograph ever represent time?
My god, there is such extensive theory behind photography, yet people do not pay attention, and carry on snapping away at that goddamn sunset.
Any idiot can be trained to perfect the technical use of a camera, digital or analogue, to get any result they desire. However where is the creativity, thought and intelligence?
Rob801
How about a nice bit of smoke photography:

That's beautiful
Wow! I'm soooo impressed by the pics on this thread...
Here are some of my own... but now that I've seen all yours... mine don't seem too great...
Reply 29
My favourite at the moment. Taken with a Pentax ME Super with a 50mm f/1.7 lens on Velvia 400 film.

Reply 30
Oh..
I think that's a little bit harsh.. I mean, personally, I try to take photos that are a bit different or at least somewhat (in my mind) interesting. I didn't post a single sunset or flower, as I know it takes alot to make something like that actually stand out. I'm very new to photography, so my skills are probably not up to your standard, but you could at least give the new people here a chance...

Wow, I actually feel quite shot down...

AnnyRoquentin
Because there is nothing inspiring, intelligent or original to be found in anything here. I've posted something more constructive and precise in another thread 'photography habits' or something. Anyway. The content of these photographs is so so mundane, please god, I can't look at another sunset or flower. There is no thought behind anything, has anyone thought about why they're taking this photograph? Why are they showing it to people? What to they want people to gain from it, what influences this? What does it represent? Time? The death of time? Can a photograph ever represent time?
My god, there is such extensive theory behind photography, yet people do not pay attention, and carry on snapping away at that goddamn sunset.
Any idiot can be trained to perfect the technical use of a camera, digital or analogue, to get any result they desire. However where is the creativity, thought and intelligence?
Reply 31
I cannot manage to upload any of my pictures, they're all too heavy or if i try uploading them from my flickr page it says "invalid type":s-smilie:
any suggestion?
AnnyRoquentin

What's wrong with just taking photographs which are beautiful?
It might not seem so sophisticated or noble as taking photographs which are abstract or edgy but they're bloomin' well just as enjoyable to look at, even more so in fact.
I like this thread and ALL the photos in it. More please :smile:
Reply 33
Well I kind of designed this thread for beautiful photographs to look at
I don't really care if you dont find them inspiring or whatever
AnnyRoquentin

It must be wonderful to have such an astounding level of 'creativity, thought and intelligence' at your fingertips, but please excuse the lowly proles in their attempts to impress you.

Get over yourself. This thread is evidently for amateur photographers, and, art-school pretentiousness aside, the majority seem to be enjoying eachothers pictures.
Kestrel_Lover_Sophie
What's wrong with just taking photographs which are beautiful?
It might not seem so sophisticated or noble as taking photographs which are abstract or edgy but they're bloomin' well just as enjoyable to look at, even more so in fact.
I like this thread and ALL the photos in it. More please :smile:

Believe me, I'm not saying anything has to be abstract or edgy. Maybe you've missed my point My main problem is perhaps more with peoples definitions of a 'good photograph'. Naturally, this is going to differ from person to person. But photography is an art form, and art shouldn't exist just to look pretty.

It just seems such a shame that there are so many intelligent, interesting and profound concepts behind photography which can be explored by anyone (new to photography or not), and yet they are completely ignored by most, in favour of an image which just looks aesthetically pretty.
for a picture taken on my 30 quid phone this aint to bad lol, just plucked it off facebook

ok it is bad
Reply 37
JW
It must be wonderful to have such an astounding level of 'creativity, thought and intelligence' at your fingertips, but please excuse the lowly proles in their attempts to impress you.

Get over yourself. This thread is evidently for amateur photographers, and, art-school pretentiousness aside, the majority seem to be enjoying eachothers pictures.

Quite an apt sig for the post, I have to say. :smile:
Reply 38
nice thread and some great shots
i have to go out now, but i'll post a photo later when i come back :smile:
Wouldn't say these are my best, but some of my favourite recent ones:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply