The Student Room Group
Why don't you look on the Times' university guide to see which is ranked higher?
Reply 2
I thought I might get a few personal preferences on here which could be useful!
Reply 3
SofinaaBabess
Why don't you look on the Times' university guide to see which is ranked higher?

League tables are not the best indicator of how good the university actually is! I think OP would rather prefer to hear from those who study at QMUL or Manchester and can give her their opinions about the course and university.
Don't know about QMUL (which I hear is good, but I don't recall any specific details), but Manchester has a good law department - although it's ranked about 17th (that might be wrong) in the Times as SofinaaBabess suggested above, often these rankings are superfluous and outdated and may not even suggest or even help you in your choice of university - after all, we all know UCL, Imperial, Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, Bristol are high up, we don't need a table to tell us that. It's very much your own view upon visiting that will help you decide, as although I would like to suggest Manchester to you because of the cheap-ish accomodation and great transport links, I'd say it is as broad as it is long. That didn't really help, but there you go. :p:
eve_22
League tables are not the best indicator of how good the university actually is! I think OP would rather prefer to hear from those who study at QMUL or Manchester and can give her their opinions about the course and university.

The interests section on your profile just made me laugh. :giggle:
Reply 6
TheMeister
The interests section on your profile just made me laugh. :giggle:

Which part of it? Or was it the whole thing? :smile:
eve_22
Which part of it? Or was it the whole thing? :smile:

The bit about some user called 'Purple' - I'll have to add something along those lines pretty soon. I had a guy the other day neg me for suggesting universities for studying architecture, I negged back (as juvenile as that is, we are on TSR after all! :p:), and he actually waited until 00:01 to neg me again listing all the universities he thought I should have listed - :facepalm:
Reply 8
TheMeister
The bit about some user called 'Purple' - I'll have to add something along those lines pretty soon. I had a guy the other day neg me for suggesting universities for studying architecture, I negged back (as juvenile as that is, we are on TSR after all! :p:), and he actually waited until 00:01 to neg me again listing all the universities he thought I should have listed - :facepalm:

That's just sad lol :rolleyes:

'Purple' is some user who seems to have been tracking my posts and giving me neg rep for no apparent reason. He/she has not been back for a while, so maybe my note on the interests section of my profile did its job :p:
Reply 9
When I was talking to the admissions tutor at QMUL, I was talking to him about my choice of having Sheffield as a Firm. He said don't, but then said if it was Manchester or somewhere, he would have said that would have been a hard decision.

QMUL is in London, which is obvious the Capital in many ways! Its definatly not in the most expensive part of LDN, if thats what you're worried about, and Mile End is not what everyone says it to be. In terms of rep, I'd say QMUL was better. Looking at league tables (so take it with a pinch of salt), QMUL is around 12th, not sure what Manchester is.

At the end of the day, rep is one thing, but you should be going where you WANT to be at. Go with you're gut instinct!!
Reply 10
Thanks guys!
Reply 11
Edited post
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
I've chosen to come to Queen Mary rather than Leeds and Bristol this year:smile:
eivy11
I've chosen to come to Queen Mary rather than Leeds and Bristol this year:smile:

I chose Queen Mary over Bristol as well (last year) :smile:
Reply 14
b4u386
I'm at Queen Mary, it wasn't my first choice (Bristol and Leeds were before), and when I got my results and found out I was going to QM, I wasn't best pleased. But after two years of being there on the llb course I can honestly say it was the best thing for me.
There are some truly talented lecturers, all of the course material and extra reading for tutorials are on a site that you can access from anywhere. The courses are really well set out - 2 horus of lectures and a 1 hour seminar per week. The seminar leaders are either lecturers or phd students and know their subjects inside out. We have some great legal extra curricular societies - particularly the bar society who offer trips to courts and get speakers from the legal proffession in on a regular basis. Lecturers are more than willing to help with work experience or anything career related.
The only thing that may put you off is the area. The campus is set back off the road and very nice in itself (accomodation is also good) but Mile End leaves a lot to be desired - however central london is only a ten minute tube journey away....
Hope this helps!

Thanks thats been very helpful!