The Student Room Group

sleeping patterns messed up since uni

what the title says. My sleeping patterns are horrible since coming to uni. I am feeling tired around 5pm/6pm and sleeping through till 9pm/10pm. Yesterday, I felt tired at about 10pm but I was with friends so I felt rude saying I was too tired and had to sleep. I went back to my room at about 11:30pm, had a shower, brushed my teeth, went to bed about 2am and could not fall asleep. I did work, I read a book, I felt tired doing them, then I got into bed and couldn't fall asleep. I eventually fell asleep just before 6am.

I am also feeling tired during the whole day, from late morning all the way through the afternoon and early evening. I always feel like having daytime naps but it messes up my sleeping pattern. I tried without the naps but I went beyond the point of tiredness and still couldn't sleep. Please help!:frown:
Reply 1
hi, can anyone help me?
Reply 2
Intheshadows
what the title says. My sleeping patterns are horrible since coming to uni. I am feeling tired around 5pm/6pm and sleeping through till 9pm/10pm. Yesterday, I felt tired at about 10pm but I was with friends so I felt rude saying I was too tired and had to sleep. I went back to my room at about 11:30pm, had a shower, brushed my teeth, went to bed about 2am and could not fall asleep. I did work, I read a book, I felt tired doing them, then I got into bed and couldn't fall asleep. I eventually fell asleep just before 6am.

I am also feeling tired during the whole day, from late morning all the way through the afternoon and early evening. I always feel like having daytime naps but it messes up my sleeping pattern. I tried without the naps but I went beyond the point of tiredness and still couldn't sleep. Please help!:frown:

If you find yourself unable to sleep, don't get up and do work, or read - as this can make your brain active and so you will find it harder to drop off, even if you feel physically exhausted. It sounds like you're not particularly active during the day - which could be contributing to your day time tiredness, but also your inability to sleep. Try taking some light exercise when you are feeling a little tired during the afternoon - a walk for example. Avoid stimulants such as coffee and and tea, and although drinking alcohol may seem like a good idea to help you get to sleep - studies have shown that the quality of sleep you get after drinking is much worse than usual (less REM sleep).

It is a good idea to have a shower/bath in the evening, and help yourself unwind - especially if you have been busy during the day. Get yourself into a routine and you'll soon start feeling tired around the same time every night. For example - stop working before dinner/around 8pm and take the next couple of hours to wind down. Watch a favourite TV show, or film with a hot milky drink (caffeine free of course) after having a nice hot shower. This heats your core body temperature up, and once you start to cool again, you will start to feel tired. Scientists believe this is linked back to when our minds were still primitive (i.e cavemen) and the drop in evening temperature meant that we were to sleep. Our body temperatures also drop while we sleep, so unless you are absolutely freezing - avoid getting into bed too early, or watching TV lying down as this will heat your bed up (same with hot water bottles). This will also help keep your sleeping area separate from your living area, i.e your work/reading/TV area - so when your head hits the pillow you know that it is time to sleep.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Also, if you do feel you need to nap, avoid napping for longer than 20mins, as after 20mins or so you will fall into a deeper sleep, and will end up feeling more tired when you wake - rather than refreshed.
Intheshadows

My sleeping patterns been messed up for three years. It's best when I'm really active during the day, getting up at 8am and working from 9-6. Yesterday for example I slept from 8am-8pm then luckily was able to fall asleep at 3am and get up at 9am.

You can either force yourself to stay up all day (tried this last wednesday/thursday - was awake for 32 hours and then slept for 16) or force yourself to sleep.

I've found that forcing myself to sleep works better than staying up, by 27 hours awake I was just awake as normal, even did an online "how tired are you" bbc test and scored really highly on the awake side of it.

Also, maybe this isn't healthy in the long run and not completely adviseable but sometimes I just sleep when my body wants to, whatever time of day it is.
Reply 5
hannahradford
If you find yourself unable to sleep, don't get up and do work, or read - as this can make your brain active and so you will find it harder to drop off, even if you feel physically exhausted. It sounds like you're not particularly active during the day - which could be contributing to your day time tiredness, but also your inability to sleep. Try taking some light exercise when you are feeling a little tired during the afternoon - a walk for example. Avoid stimulants such as coffee and and tea, and although drinking alcohol may seem like a good idea to help you get to sleep - studies have shown that the quality of sleep you get after drinking is much worse than usual (less REM sleep).

It is a good idea to have a shower/bath in the evening, and help yourself unwind - especially if you have been busy during the day. Get yourself into a routine and you'll soon start feeling tired around the same time every night. For example - stop working before dinner/around 8pm and take the next couple of hours to wind down. Watch a favourite TV show, or film with a hot milky drink (caffeine free of course) after having a nice hot shower. This heats your core body temperature up, and once you start to cool again, you will start to feel tired. Scientists believe this is linked back to when our minds were still primitive (i.e cavemen) and the drop in evening temperature meant that we were to sleep. Our body temperatures also drop while we sleep, so unless you are absolutely freezing - avoid getting into bed too early, or watching TV lying down as this will heat your bed up (same with hot water bottles). This will also help keep your sleeping area separate from your living area, i.e your work/reading/TV area - so when your head hits the pillow you know that it is time to sleep.

I hope this helps :smile:

This helped me LOL

My patterns aren't messed up as such, but I've been used to living such a routine life, that different get up times for each day (dependsing on lecture times etc) has messed me up a little.

+rep
Reply 6
tell me how much you sleep when you do. And do you actually work a lot during the working days?
This is my advice to you:biggrin: :

On friday night just dump all your work for later (saturday or something). Get a good night's sleep, first do some exercise, then have some nice food (whatever that you like:p: ), sit at the TV or something or read a nice book (not uni notes! this is not going to rela your brain) and relax, then after 1-2.5 hours go for a relaxing bath. Sit in this HOT bath for 40-50-60 minutes and then go to bed, sleep for a minimum 7 hours at least. The next morning you will fell bette and you'll be able to work.

repeat this every friday/any onther day prior to a day off. You will get your sleep back - I promise. :smile:

Remember, when you set your brain a target like this and don't let yourself off (ie: Ill stay up for another 5 hours watching TV or something) then you will lose the pattern you are trying so hard to maintain. After you get that sleep back youll feel way better and you will be able to stay up later some nights for whatever you need without felling like you have a lead weight stuck to your eyelashes and your limbs :biggrin: :wink:

I sincerely hope this helps. I used like this when I studied for AS levels. I havent got into uni yet :frown: :frown: :biggrin: . I know that feeling mate, :biggrin: relax. If my advice doesnt work then talk to a professional. And don;t use booze or sleeping pills to knock youself out - it will screw you up even more trust me :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending