The Student Room Group

rah girl rioter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Okay so her parents are rich. Does that mean she can't be angry?
Original post by Roobsa
And she still pleaded not guilty? Oh dear.

Probably following expensive bad advice from a city lawyer. If she had pleaded guilty the sentence would have been less harsh, now she will have to be dragged through the courts, when she is clearly guilty.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by maze.e
No worries. I am just shocked at the rioters broad range of background, I just assumed it was the underclass, but it seems the cast majority Britain is represented among the rioters in an equal normal distribution. With the working class being the largest then middle and a few upper-middle class rioters like the woman the OP is referring to.

People from every background are opportunistically involved in the looting, but the police assaults and actual criminal damage are committed predominantly by those from deprived communities.
Reply 23
Original post by Spam666

no, but it probably means she shouldn't steal £5,000 worth of electronic equipment

not that anyone should
Reply 24
Original post by bbq1948
no, but it probably means she shouldn't steal £5,000 worth of electronic equipment

not that anyone should

You never know! Maybe she had some underlying rage about her rich/materialistic upbringing, and developed a hate of technology/the mass media/social poverty and was planning on giving the electronic goods away to people who couldn't afford them.

Haha but no fair enough, you're probably right. I don't know why I'm defending her, she's probably one of these girls who would look at me like shyte when I walk into Topshop.
Reply 25
Original post by Spam666

Angry about what exactly? I'm still trying to get my head around how anger can be used to justify this disgusting behaviour.
Original post by whyumadtho
People from every background are opportunistically involved in the looting, but the police assaults and actual criminal damage are committed predominantly by those from deprived communities.

Your right, however steeling £5000 worth of goods is still a crime, in the same sense that doing £5000 worth of damage to a store is a crime.

Either way all the protesters rich or poor clearly deserve whats coming.
Original post by Spam666

Angry she gort caught, you mean? How is looting £5,000-worth of goods a means of expressing political anger?
Original post by bbq1948

not that anyone should

Everyone's attracted by free stuff. The, 'if I don't steal it, someone else will, so I may as well take it', and, 'as an individual, my contribution is minor; therefore, I do not feel as if I'm to blame for this', methods of diffusing responsiblity drive the looting from the less expected members of society. People see looting going unfettered for hours and hundreds of people involved, so they think they won't get caught and are just one out of many.
Everyone's attracted by free stuff.

Attracted, yes. Attracted enough to commit crimes to obtain it, no.
The punishment will not be a deterrent. In fact, she's probably more likely to do what I want rioters to do, actually pay for damages than say 'oh, I'm holding my family hostage so if you do anything to me financially then they'll get it too.
Reply 31
She won't be laughing when she gets her benefits taken away muhahahahaha... Oh wait...
Original post by Good bloke
Attracted, yes. Attracted enough to commit crimes to obtain it, no.

I think many of these people's true morals are repressed by law and criminal punishment. Once they believed these two repressive elements were absent, they exploited the opportunity whilst they could.
I hate rahs. They are violent, and loot and uncivil just because they're too rich and need to be bad for their personal gratification. I mean they do it because they're bored, not because they even need it. Rah rioters are worse than normal chav rioters!

:lolwut: Rahs should just be locked up in cambridge uni and never allowed to escape the confines of the city. :rolleyes:
I think many of these people's true morals are repressed by law and criminal punishment. Once they believed these two repressive elements were absent, they exploited the opportunity whilst they could.

I suspect a lot of them are going to regret this impulsive behaviour and lack of ability to live within society normally for a long time to come. The punishments are going to be severe, aggravated as the offences are by participating in rioting, and many employed people will lose their jobs and many students will have thrown away their education.
Reply 35
I suspect a lot of them are going to regret this impulsive behaviour and lack of ability to live within society normally for a long time to come. The punishments are going to be severe, aggravated as the offences are by participating in rioting, and many employed people will lose their jobs and many students will have thrown away their education.

We will still see different approaches based on class. Laura's Dad will pay for the damages and any fines. If she gets a prison sentence, she will do most of it in some Open Prison, but personally I doubt she will, although I agree she was misadvised as to plea. I seriously doubt she will be expelled from Exeter - apart from anything else, they will be nervous of her wealthy father dragging them through the courts.

Her "punishment" will be considerably lighter than many others - knowledge of that may have been part of her mindset I suspect.

There is also an element of joyriding amongst some rich kids, thrill-seeking and wondering "what it's like" to engage in criminal behaviour can sometimes be part of that.
Original post by Fires
I seriously doubt she will be expelled from Exeter - apart from anything else, they will be nervous of her wealthy father dragging them through the courts.

I would speculate that they will have little option if she goes to gaol for more than six months, which is the implication for those who are remanded to the crown court for sentencing as most seem to be.
Reply 37
She will get away with it because she's a 'rah' and a female.
Reply 38
I would speculate that they will have little option if she goes to gaol for more than six months, which is the implication for those who are remanded to the crown court for sentencing as most seem to be.

I think it's gone to CC because her lawyer requested it; the "not trusting the Mags" approach.

In cases like this in the past affecting wealthy students who have misbehaved, the universities have generally bowed to the parents. Of course, a different set of rules applies to "ordinaries".
Original post by maze.e

Original post by maze.e
Probably following expensive bad advice from a city lawyer. If she had pleaded guilty the sentence would have been less harsh, now she will have to be dragged through the courts, when she is clearly guilty.

I agree, she should of gone with the good advice from a TSR user, with no legal experience, no law degree and no law qualifications.

Quick Reply