The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/Studies Applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quiche
I find that Korean dramas aren't really something I can really immerse myself into like Japanese dramas, but Korean variety shows are a different story :biggrin:DD
I'm a big fan of JRock (visual kei, particularly) and even that, I feel, has given me the ability to distinguish key words and phrases. It's the same with dramas and anime, although I am only limited to speech patterns and pronunciation :/

Do you recommend any Japanese Language support sites? (This question is open to everyone btw)

Well I have quite a lot of sites bookmarked, a bunch of different audio lessons and far too many .pdf's of books. The one I've found worked best was Textfugu.com, however, it does cost money so... also make sure to progress through the lessons at a steady rate, I went far too fast and just got lost, which forced me to lose all motivation and I haven't went on it in about 3 months.

I've also heard good things about
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
for grammar, although I haven't read much of it myself.

I used smart.fm to learn Kana, but it's been replaced by a new site which you have to pay for.

I was planning to use
http://kanjidamage.com/
for Kanji because it seemed like it'd work quite well, but textfugu.com also have a pretty good method for learning it I found, despite my failings.
Reply 61
Original post by ZombieYoshi
Yeah, the two are rather similar in some aspects from the very little amount I studied. I was going well with Korean, but then I started having doubts over the value of doing a Korean course and suddenly stopped, and haven't managed to find the motivation to pick it back up now school has started again.
On a slightly unrelated note, the reason I'm not so sure about Japanese is how much I've heard about just how hard it is (or at least the Sheffield course). But when I found out you don't start Japanese until 3rd year in Korean with Japanese I think I've gotten past my dilemma of making a choice between the two, even though this way I won't learn Japanese to a level I would have if I was doing it as a Single, and I won't spend a year there, but I'm more concerned with learning the language than going there really. Then again, there's still the worry I won't be able to cope with both languages after 3rd year and will have to drop Japanese anyway, but we'll pass that hurdle when I (hopefully) get to it.

Korean has always been more of a hobby to me as opposed to a future career option. There's no getting around the fact that Japanese is one of the most challenging languages for a native English speaker to learn but if you are dedicated enough you'll be able to reach a good level of fluency, even whilst doing a joint degree. You may have to sacrifice a lot of sleep and fresh air, but it'll be worth it.

Isn't Sheffield quite flexible with student changing their courses? I have a friend who did so in her 2nd year, but I'm not applying there so I'm not entirely sure!
Reply 62
Original post by Quiche
That is a huge relief to know!

I've applied to Selwyn - I've sent my UCAS to my referee already. He's started to send the Oxbridgers' apps off today in my college and he's said he'll send mine off tomorrow *crosses fingers*)

Selwyn was in my shortlist! Fortunately since I'm the only Oxbridge applicant at my school, they were able to do mine pretty quickly. I'm part way through completing the SAQ, but I really did not expect it to be so long. Jrock/Vkei was my raison d'etre in secondary school! I was so into Alice Nine, AnCafe, the gazette, SuG, etc I'd go to almost every Jrock gig in the UK. Now I mainly listen to Oku-roku and enka!
Original post by Rei_Rei
Korean has always been more of a hobby to me as opposed to a future career option. There's no getting around the fact that Japanese is one of the most challenging languages for a native English speaker to learn but if you are dedicated enough you'll be able to reach a good level of fluency, even whilst doing a joint degree. You may have to sacrifice a lot of sleep and fresh air, but it'll be worth it.

Isn't Sheffield quite flexible with student changing their courses? I have a friend who did so in her 2nd year, but I'm not applying there so I'm not entirely sure!

I don't really know, but I remember seeing somebody say how they downgraded from Chinese/Japanese/Korean Studies to plain East Asian Studies because they found it too hard.

I only really started looking into Korean media and language when I started looking for uni courses and stuff and saw Korean on offer, so I've not been into it very long. I think I'd be able to do plain Japanese Studies by itself if I tried hard enough, but this way I get to do both instead of constantly weighing up pros and cons of each and frequently changing my mind. Also, I'm thinking that if I do manage to do both Korean and Japanese, even though my Japanese won't be as at high a level as if I did the Single it'll be at a high enough level once I leave that teaching myself to a higher level won't be too hard. Ugh, decisions, decisions :confused:

Sacrificing sleep and fresh air shouldn't be too much of a problem, because I don't get either of them much now anyway :wink: haha
Reply 64
I don't really know, but I remember seeing somebody say how they downgraded from Chinese/Japanese/Korean Studies to plain East Asian Studies because they found it too hard.

I only really started looking into Korean media and language when I started looking for uni courses and stuff and saw Korean on offer, so I've not been into it very long. I think I'd be able to do plain Japanese Studies by itself if I tried hard enough, but this way I get to do both instead of constantly weighing up pros and cons of each and frequently changing my mind. Also, I'm thinking that if I do manage to do both Korean and Japanese, even though my Japanese won't be as at high a level as if I did the Single it'll be at a high enough level once I leave that teaching myself to a higher level won't be too hard. Ugh, decisions, decisions :confused:

Sacrificing sleep and fresh air shouldn't be too much of a problem, because I don't get either of them much now anyway :wink: haha

I think it's generally better to do a single degree and then learn your second language on the side. In the long run getting a first or 2:1 in one language is better that a 2:2 in two. I'm really desperate to learn Chinese (Mandarin) but at degree level I know with the complexity of both languages I probably won't get very far in either. Perhaps you should consider just apply for Japanese single and seeing if you can add a few modules in Korean when the opportunity arises.
Reply 65

I've also heard good things about
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
for grammar, although I haven't read much of it myself.

I used smart.fm to learn Kana, but it's been replaced by a new site which you have to pay for.

I was planning to use
http://kanjidamage.com/
for Kanji because it seemed like it'd work quite well, but textfugu.com also have a pretty good method for learning it I found, despite my failings.

Thanks! I haven't really looked at language support sites until recently. I'm not sure whether or not getting Rosetta Stone is a worthwhile investment, just seems pointless if intensive language courses are going to be given :/

Original post by Rei_Rei
Selwyn was in my shortlist! Fortunately since I'm the only Oxbridge applicant at my school, they were able to do mine pretty quickly. I'm part way through completing the SAQ, but I really did not expect it to be so long. Jrock/Vkei was my raison d'etre in secondary school! I was so into Alice Nine, AnCafe, the gazette, SuG, etc I'd go to almost every Jrock gig in the UK. Now I mainly listen to Oku-roku and enka!

Really?! I was stuck between Emmanuel and Selwyn, and picking one or the other was a headache >.<

OMGackt that's amazing! I'm currently into Miyavi's new sound, but I still listen to Gazette, A9, SuG and Plastic Tree XD
Unfortunately, I have not gone into gigs (I was absolutely distraught when I found out Gazette performed in Islington in 2007 and Miyavi a few months ago!)
K-pop is also growing on me, especially YG groups e.g. 2NE1 and Big Bang :biggrin:
Wow! You guys all do Japanese-awesome!

So who's going to teach me...
X^_^X
Hey, kind of unrelated but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the JLPT tests. I understand that they are really beneficial but was wondering whether it is possible to skip N5 and go straight to N4 for example or whether all of the tests needed to be done. I have already completed a GCSE in Japanese as well as a year of AB initio and would appreciate any advice on the matter.
Reply 68
Original post by Quiche

Really?! I was stuck between Emmanuel and Selwyn, and picking one or the other was a headache >.<

OMGackt that's amazing! I'm currently into Miyavi's new sound, but I still listen to Gazette, A9, SuG and Plastic Tree XD
Unfortunately, I have not gone into gigs (I was absolutely distraught when I found out Gazette performed in Islington in 2007 and Miyavi a few months ago!)
K-pop is also growing on me, especially YG groups e.g. 2NE1 and Big Bang :biggrin:

They both seem like really lovely colleges. Maybe you can narrow down the criteria by size, accommodation, facilities etc.

The Gazette gig was literally a few days after I came back from Japan so I missed it as well! And to this day they still haven't returned (perhaps they were disappointed that we weren't there? :biggrin:) I went to Miyavi's first two gigs in London but I missed this year since it was so close to exams. He new album is beyond amazing but I do like his older stuff too. I'm part of the minority that adored his Kabuki boys days :cool: As for Kpop I'm mainly into the pre-2009 groups (DBSK, BB, 2NE1, 2PM,Shinee, etc), I've been quite put off by the recent influx of talentless groups.
Reply 69
Original post by Kishin Kingdom
Hey, kind of unrelated but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the JLPT tests. I understand that they are really beneficial but was wondering whether it is possible to skip N5 and go straight to N4 for example or whether all of the tests needed to be done. I have already completed a GCSE in Japanese as well as a year of AB initio and would appreciate any advice on the matter.

I am currently registered to sit the N3 paper in December (I should really be studying for it right now, not on tsr). GCSE is practically N5 level so your best bet is to aim for the N4, you do not have to have taken the previous level in order to move on to the next one. Unfortunately entry for December this year at SOAS is now closed but I know that Edinburgh University is also hosting the exams so you may want to check if theirs is still open. If not then I know that SOAS is also running the exams in June/July, however if you are intending to get your results back for university entry be aware that they won't reach you until around October.

The JLPT is very beneficial if you plan to use your Japanese skills outside of the UK as A level/GCSE may not always be recognised in other countries, whereas the JLPT is an internationally recognised qualification. If you are planning to do a degree in Japanese though it may not be particularly useful unless you're a masochist like me who enjoys taking lots of exams!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by Rei_Rei
I am currently registered to sit the N3 paper in December (I should really be studying for it right now, not on tsr). GCSE is practically N5 level so your best bet is to aim for the N4, you do not have to have taken the previous level in order to move on to the next one. Unfortunately entry for December this year at SOAS is now closed but I know that Edinburgh University is also hosting the exams so you may want to check if theirs is still open. If not then I know that SOAS is also running the exams in June/July, however if you are intending to get your results back for university entry be aware that they won't reach you until around October.

The JLPT is very beneficial if you plan to use your Japanese skills outside of the UK as A level/GCSE may not always be recognised in other countries, whereas the JLPT is an internationally recognised qualification. If you are planning to do a degree in Japanese though it may not be particularly useful unless you're a masochist like me who enjoys taking lots of exams!
Good luck :smile:

Good luck, I hope everything goes well =) and I do plan to study Japanese at Uni but was just wondering as I had heard briefly about it during my GCSEs. I have taken a few sample tests on the JLPT website since my last post and I believe N4 looks around my current level (I would try N3 but I just hate Kanji). Do you know if the revision material gives a list of the type of areas that are likely to be included or is it all random?
Reply 71
Original post by Rei_Rei
They both seem like really lovely colleges. Maybe you can narrow down the criteria by size, accommodation, facilities etc.

The Gazette gig was literally a few days after I came back from Japan so I missed it as well! And to this day they still haven't returned (perhaps they were disappointed that we weren't there? :biggrin:) I went to Miyavi's first two gigs in London but I missed this year since it was so close to exams. He new album is beyond amazing but I do like his older stuff too. I'm part of the minority that adored his Kabuki boys days :cool: As for Kpop I'm mainly into the pre-2009 groups (DBSK, BB, 2NE1, 2PM,Shinee, etc), I've been quite put off by the recent influx of talentless groups.

Spoiler

I think I should stop talking about VK and Kpop now (;^^)

UCAS sent off today!!! I chose Selwyn in the end; as beautiful as Emma was, Selwyn's further away from the town centre but enough that it's still accessible for me :smile:
Plus the Master of Selwyn is a Professor in Japanese, and the book on 'The Tale of Genji' that I'm buying is his work!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Quiche

Spoiler

I think I should stop talking about VK and Kpop now (;^^)

UCAS sent off today!!! I chose Selwyn in the end; as beautiful as Emma was, Selwyn's further away from the town centre but enough that it's still accessible for me :smile:
Plus the Master of Selwyn is a Professor in Japanese, and the book on 'The Tale of Genji' that I'm buying is his work!

Congrats on sending your application! Do you know when your interview period is? Mine is the two weeks following 5th December. I haven't actually read The Tale of Genji yet. My main obsession is early 20th century literature, particularly Souseki (how can anybody not love Souseki!) Have you started filling out the SAQ yet? It is far more hassle than I expected it to be, it actually seems to be more detailed than the UCAS application itself.
(First Post)
...applied in Oxford Brookes for Japanese and Computer Science/Anthropology/English.
...remaining options in SOAS for Japanese and Korean/Linguistics.
...all in ab initio. I've learned the language with no formal teaching, I just want to be fluent in Japanese really (and go abroad) :smile:

Need BBB for all Japanese combination or equivalent, while SOAS is harsh of AAB with an A-Level foreign language preferred. But they will take into account that I'm multi-lingual with 10 languages on possession (9 if Latin don't count), because I'm doing English Language + Literature in A2 and for me, counts as a foreign language.
Hence English is my second language, I was forced to do the foundation paper and got a C, but in AS, I've got an A. SOAS wants an A in GCSE English, while Brookes "prefer" a B.

Will they take my A-Level into an account, or do I have to re-sit my GCSE English?
I got predicted an A for English along with Classics, and a B in History.
If I have to re-sit my English GCSE, my teachers predicted I will "walk out" with an A* if I did it.

I've decided to pick Brookes and SOAS only.
I've never had the chance to study Japanese in GCSE or A-Level. The only foreign language I've learned from school was GCSE French (got a B). They told me on the open days (I went to both) that they will test you in what level you're at in, measured by your skills of: Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening and Translating (of Japanese - I think this applies to every language degrees). This is SOAS btw. Brookes is clearly aimed for beginners/post-beginners.
Woo other Japanese applicants :biggrin:.

I've sent my UCAS off now :s-smilie:. Applied to Manchester, Leeds and SOAS - all for pure BA Japanese. The nervousness is getting to me now D:. It's been 'waiting to be processed' since Thursday now, oh good god the tension there has been the last few days with the constant checking back and the like.

As for the AS exam, I found it to be quite challenging. The translation was really, really hard, so many bits of difficult grammar and rather unique vocabulary items thrown in (my teacher said that she thought it was 'quite easy'...awkward) but the context questions were nice, espeially the one about kankyou which luckily my teacher predicted would come up, and the question about takkyuu was fairly straightforward I thought, although there were some somewhat challenging aspects of it (I found the questions about hakubutsukan a bit vague and could be answered in a multitude of ways, even though the text itself was fine). The Kanji - Kana was quite generous compared to some previous papers I'd done, and the essay I found to be really really really nice (even though I made the mistake of writing in polite form...despite clearly reading the word 'diary entry' :L). I remember doing a past paper (perhaps 2010s?) where the essay was on smoking and I seemed to remember reading back "tabako wo sureba..." about 5 or 6 times :L, and even though I too wasn't sure about the last bullet point, I think I managed to avoid repetition. I came out with 92 UMS which was by far my best AS result, and I was utterly over the moon with it :smile:.

Anyone else doing the A2: have you started any of the texts yet? I've done Hana and just finished translating Duke, and we also study Tokkyo no Shina which I've started today. Personal favourite so far is Hana, I hated Duke personally but apparently that negativity makes for 'interesting' essays :P.

Ps, good luck with your applications everyone :biggrin: Hope it all goes well :smile:.
Reply 75
Just applied: Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle (pure) Sheffield and SOAS (with history).
So scared. :\
Reply 76
I got an offer from Manchester today! :dance:
Reply 77
Original post by rei_rei
i got an offer from manchester today! :dance:

congrats!!! 8d

:d
Reply 78
I started teaching myself Katakana today.
Original post by MyNeighbourTotoro
Hi i'll be applying for Japanese Studies at Sheffield and Manchester for 2012 entry. :smile:
I have no previous knowledge of Japanese unlike most of you on this thread but i have learnt the both kana syllabaries and i am trying to learn some basic grammar points.

I was just wondering though when writing your personal statement do you just write about parts of the subject that interest you and how you came to become interested in the subject? Also, in terms of writing about your a levels do you just talk about what general skills your a level subjects have given you seen as i have never done Japanese before?

Thanks for any help you can give. :smile:

Coincidence, I applied for Japanese Studies at Manchester and Sheffield and I got into Manchester on deferred for 2012! Anyway in my personal statement I related my Psychology A level to Haruki Murakami's novels (I applied for English and Japanese at some unis but didn't get any offers), and I also wrote about how I became interested in Japan (by being lent a volume of manga), that I found the differences between Western culture and Japanese culture and I referenced some books I had read about how Japan bounced back after the 2nd world war.

Basically I tried to convey how interested I am in Japan and it worked! Also I got ABB but my offer for Japanese Studies at Manc. was AAB but they let me in anyway as I was only 3 marks off an A in Ancient History. So just to let you know they do give leeway, I suppose also Jap. Studies isn't a particularly popular subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending