The Student Room Group

mature students and full time uni...

hi there

just wanted to ask you mature students how you find studying full time? esp those of you who are single..

how do you pay your bills? i.e. rent, gas, elec, food?

are you working part time or full time as well as studying?

I am 31yrs old, really want to teach I.T. in secondary schools, I have an access course under my belt with G.C.S.E's.

Due to a failed relationship I moved back home, ideally I would like to rent a place, study for a comp science degree and work.

Before when I was doing an access course, I was all over the place in terms of late nights studying etc but I perserved and got through.

I realise its a big commitment but what isnt...At the moment, if I rent a place, study and work, the numbers just dont add up. So I trying to look for solutions.

I would love to teach I.T. but just need to figure out how to make the numbers add up, your ideas would be appreciated

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by xirokx
hi there

just wanted to ask you mature students how you find studying full time? esp those of you who are single..

how do you pay your bills? i.e. rent, gas, elec, food?

are you working part time or full time as well as studying?

I am 31yrs old, really want to teach I.T. in secondary schools, I have an access course under my belt with G.C.S.E's.

Due to a failed relationship I moved back home, ideally I would like to rent a place, study for a comp science degree and work.

Before when I was doing an access course, I was all over the place in terms of late nights studying etc but I perserved and got through.

I realise its a big commitment but what isnt...At the moment, if I rent a place, study and work, the numbers just dont add up. So I trying to look for solutions.

I would love to teach I.T. but just need to figure out how to make the numbers add up, your ideas would be appreciated

thanks

I'm not a mature student starting uni yet but will be in a couple years. My plan is to live in student accomodation. It's wayyy cheaper and is only for 3 years so why not. Or you could get a job where you only work weekends and nights.
Reply 2
You will be entitled to student loans if you haven't used them before. I live of the bare minimum (£3564 per year) and this covers my rent (I live in Newcastle- it's very cheap!) But I have found work over the summer months, done flexible work around my course and I had money from work before I started. (And there's always a student overdraft- not ideal but it's there!)
I'm not a mature student as I started at 20 but I know several people that are. Computer science has rather a lot!
It's much easier to secure odd-jobs around your degree and in holiday periods when you're competing against other students, as most of them have done two weeks work experience and that's it!
If you're worried about living with a load of young people, halls here I believe allow you to live with post grads or you can always go straight into a student house (it's generally cheaper anyway).
I can't see it being much different from being any other skint student and most Uni's offer a lot of support to mature students and you certainly wouldn't be alone!
Reply 3
thanks for your reply

living with students is not a prob to be honest well i think so, it would be nice if they were mature students lol

I would like to stay away from student loans as much as possible as I do have a flexible employer and working nights is an option

I think the tuition fee alone after graduation will be too much of a burden so am trying to pay my way as much as possible

Thanks
Original post by xirokx
thanks for your reply

living with students is not a prob to be honest well i think so, it would be nice if they were mature students lol

I would like to stay away from student loans as much as possible as I do have a flexible employer and working nights is an option

I think the tuition fee alone after graduation will be too much of a burden so am trying to pay my way as much as possible

Thanks

I know some one who went full time at De montford, had a job which involved nights, often turned up at lectures straight from work still in uniform, got a pass, not even 3rd class in Business Studies. Works as a carer in a sheltered hostle, nothing wrong with that, in fact he enjoys it enormously, but it was not plan A when he started his degree.

Your position on studying sounds tailor made for the Open University, one could argue that individuals such as your self are its raison d'etre. However, an OU degree in 3 years is the same as a full time course at a brick Uni in terms of hours.

You can of course study with a brick uni part time or distance learning, have you considered those options.

But you want to:

a) Study full time. (To get the degree in 3 years ?)
b) Get at least a 2.1. (As thats what employers require)
c) Feed and cloth yourself for three years
d) House yourself for three years
e) Pay your tuition fees.
f) not leverage the loan system
g) Earn around a minimum of 17K p.a more likely 20K pa working whilst achieving a) and b) and to realise c) to f)

I would book in for a reality check. Sure, someone on here will tell you they have done it, it is the internet, but how many have tried and not managed it ?

That said, if you find away of doing this then please keep us all informed as there are about 20,000 mature students all dying to know the answer.
Reply 5
thanks for taking the time to reply...

Wish I had found you sooner - evening sunrise...

That said, if you find away of doing this then please keep us all informed as there are about 20,000 mature students all dying to know the answer.

so whats the answer? from what you say its not possible for the majority of 20k students...

there must be an alternative? thats what i am seeking...

I would rather go to a red brick uni then study with the OU thats for sure

Have you got the formula that works as I know what I am trying to acheive is not very possible hence my post to attempt to find a realistic work through..

Please help me crack this guys...
Reply 6
OP, would u be willing to compromise and just rent a room?

significantly reduces cost and enables u to study. no, it won't be what u are accustomed to but, i'm gonna have to do same myself. i don't wanna but, i want the degree more so am resigned to making the sacrifice. and it really will be a sacrifice but, it's the only option that i can see ahead of me.

perhaps u would consider same?
Reply 7
I have had to work whilst undertaking my Access Course and will continue to do so when attending University.

As a single mature male we are "bottom of the benefits pile"

Having said that I am currently receiving more money from my FE College (none of which is repayable) than I will even with the maximum grant and loan at Uni, so I am lucky in that respect.

I will not have to pay any tuition fees either.

My job is in Security which is quite flexible with regard to hours etc . It is not highly paid but sometimes (depending on the location) a whole shift can be spent studying.

If I did not work I would not be able to run my modest flat on the college/ uni grants alone.
Reply 8
thanks for your reply ashtoreth

The size of my task is such that I know I have to be flexible and am more then willing to be...

If renting a room is what it takes then so be it, I am grateful for being at home now but its just not practical due to so many lets say "restrictions" its just a stop gap that is fulfillin its role nicely.

Now having said that, I know there is no housing benefit available for full time students which is fine as I should be able to work Fri and Sat nights OR depending on lectures maybe Sat and Sun nights only thankfully the job pays well.

That said, I think I may still struggle a little financially.

Soooooo any further ideas?

thank you so much for your help peeps
Reply 9
yes u will struggle, as will i. i too have restrictions at home and studying here is a non starter, altho i am seriously considering it due to parents health etc.

prob tho it will be best to go away if i actually want to get the degree, so that's prob what will happen. regards pt work, that's what most will be doing alongside studying. and that will be my requirement too.

between student finance and pt working, it should be doable. i see no other option, bar not studying and that's hardly an option - if your dilemma is that u are hoping to avoid taking out student finance, then i can honestly not see how u will realistically manage it.

one thing to do an access course working FT but to be in 2nd/3rd year (at uni) when it counts and struggling due to other commitments would be a disservice to yourself imo.
Original post by xirokx
thanks for taking the time to reply...

Wish I had found you sooner - evening sunrise...

so whats the answer? from what you say its not possible for the majority of 20k students...

there must be an alternative? thats what i am seeking...

I would rather go to a red brick uni then study with the OU thats for sure

Have you got the formula that works as I know what I am trying to acheive is not very possible hence my post to attempt to find a realistic work through..

Please help me crack this guys...

I am afraid I do not, not without loans. Unless you have a well stuffed savings account, or can sell property or similar. The only option that would enable you to work full time to earn the required amount is the OU, and then a three year degree at 120 credits per year is something not many can do and even fewer do and get good honours.

IMHO full time at brick, with full time job inc nights = disaster, (excepting the summer break)

We are ex OU students (whilst working) and we are "going brick" from next September / October. We do have an approach which is, to take every loan and grant we are elligable for and to down size our house (now two of the four kids have fledged) down a house price gradient between the South and North. We will not work as we intend to be totally emersed in two things, firstly our course, ensuring we can go onto postgrad, secondly some of the societies at our two Unis, (well Ok and the kids of course). Hence we are doing a partial liquidation of assets and partial consumption of war chest, in order to pursue our life long desire as far as we can take it.

There is no "silver bullet".
Reply 11
Original post by xirokx
so whats the answer?

Hey,

Evening sunrise is right. To achieve all of your aims without using the loan system must be almost impossible. Certainly without a considerable amount of capital behind you.

I just dont understand why taking a student loan is such a burden...Its essentially a tax on earnings over 21k. At some point you will have to borrow money for something and there is no better way than a student loan. Also you would be in a better situation than most students as you are independent and should be entitled to full grant and maintenance loan.

I'd forget about trying to work and study full time!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
thanks for your replies

Ashtoreth - I think working one night and a week and studying should be ok both financially and while renting

Evening Sunrise - Wow I thought I had hurdles to overcome before starting...good luck with that

Jdinsaanen - thanks for your recommendation, I guess I want to avoid loans because I would leave with a £18k tuition fee debt without loans already. If I then wanted to settle down and get married then last thing I would want to be faced with is buy a property or pay back my loan its more for the future as I am not getting any younger...Perhaps thats just my fear I dont know and maybe my future partner would be very accomodating however I dont think I would be such a great advert for future partners..

what do you think?
Original post by xirokx
thanks for your replies

Evening Sunrise - Wow I thought I had hurdles to overcome before starting...good luck with that

Jdinsaanen - thanks for your recommendation, I guess I want to avoid loans because I would leave with a £18k tuition fee debt without loans already. If I then wanted to settle down and get married then last thing I would want to be faced with is buy a property or pay back my loan its more for the future as I am not getting any younger...Perhaps thats just my fear I dont know and maybe my future partner would be very accomodating however I dont think I would be such a great advert for future partners..

what do you think?

Sounds a bit more doable if your going to take the tuition fee loans, your earlier post implied you were not going the loan route at all really.

We have it 90% cracked. If we could not crack this then the prognosis for over coming the issues that arise, especially at postgrad, would not be good.

If your future partner is willing to accept the income your study has brought you then they should accept your investment in getting to that point. But a future partner should not be judging you on such matters anyway, if they are.....

You could do it our way, find a partner, have kids, then go and get the loans. I am fortunate in that this has been our joint plan and desire since we met at an OU summer school in 1985. Would have happened in our mid 20s, but for medication + pill = family, but we were surprised and found we liked it and had three more for good measure (had to practise a lot :biggrin:) and just postponed things a wee while.

All the best
Reply 14
Original post by xirokx
what do you think?

Honestly...I think you should look into it more! My situation is not so different to yours. Im 26, single, will start uni in Sept.

Having a student loan does not count against your credit rating, ability to get another loan or mortgage.
It is written off after 30 years regardless of how much youve paid back. You will not take it into retirement or pass it to future generations.
Say your earnings are £30k pa. You will pay back just £68 per month. (9% of 9k/12).
You should be entitled to enough loan to cover your tuition fees in full and many of your living costs. My maintenance loan will pay for my accommodation + bills.
Its a big weight off the shoulders.

On a personal note. I would not have any problem with a future partner having a student loan. In fact, having the motivation and ambition to gain a degree would far outweigh this type of debt. Its an investment and I cant think of anything better to invest in than myself.
Reply 15

Having a student loan does not count against your credit rating, ability to get another loan or mortgage.
It is written off after 30 years regardless of how much youve paid back. You will not take it into retirement or pass it to future generations.
Say your earnings are £30k pa. You will pay back just £68 per month. (9% of 9k/12).
You should be entitled to enough loan to cover your tuition fees in full and many of your living costs. My maintenance loan will pay for my accommodation + bills.
Its a big weight off the shoulders

are you sure? and whats the max student loan these days per academic year?

If your future partner is willing to accept the income your study has brought you then they should accept your investment in getting to that point. But a future partner should not be judging you on such matters anyway, if they are.....

i hear that...thanks
Reply 16
Original post by xirokx
are you sure? and whats the max student loan these days per academic year?

Yes. Its £9,000 tuition which is paid to your university direct from the finance company. And £3,958 maintenance loan if you apply for/are entitled to the full £3,250 maintenance grant (not to be paid back). Not sure if you know but the amount of maintenance loan youll be entitled to will change depending on the amount of grant you can get.

So to live on thats a max of £7,208 per year for living costs.

You may not be entitled to maximum loan/grant. The best thing to do is call student finance england and ask them. I found them to be very helpful with queries like this.

Hope Ive helped.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
that has helped a great deal...thank you for taking the time to update me.

if I am entitled to the whole shbang then out of the whole amount I would need to repay £12,958 per annum

Which equates to a total of £39k over 3 years

Thats a scary amount of debt....

Whilst I want to become a teacher I need to ponder on whether I could live with that on my head.

I am someone who owes nobody nothing so to go from zero debt to £40k in 3 years thats seriously scary stuff irrespective of whether all students are doing it or not.

Let me wonder a bit but thanks for spelling it out it certainly helps alot to have these kinda facts before you.

cheers
Original post by xirokx
that has helped a great deal...thank you for taking the time to update me.

if I am entitled to the whole shbang then out of the whole amount I would need to repay £12,958 per annum

Thats a scary amount of debt....

Whilst I want to become a teacher I need to ponder on whether I could live with that on my head.

I am someone who owes nobody nothing so to go from zero debt to £40k in 3 years thats seriously scary stuff irrespective of whether all students are doing it or not.

Let me wonder a bit but thanks for spelling it out it certainly helps alot to have these kinda facts before you.

cheers

Good luck.

The decision will be a tricky one for you if you view your personal liability as being the nominal total of the loans. If you view your liability as the amount you will have to pay back due to earnings level, which is your contracted commitment. (I do not believe that IT Teacher salaries are into the Investment Banking zone just yet). Admittedly if you write a world wide best selling IT text book then the royalty revenue coming from that might cause you to pay the whole amount back, but then I doubt you would be very bothered.
Reply 19
Original post by xirokx
£12,958

No! Im not sure exactly where that figure is from but your repayments will vary depending on your earnings after you graduate and get a job!
If you never earn over 21k pa you will never pay a single penny back.
If you earn, say, 30k pa you will pay back £810 pa. If you earn 30k for the rest of your life you will pay back £24,300 over 30 years (the rest will be forgotten). If your salary rises it will go up, if it falls it will go down. You will only pay 9% on earnings over 21k pa.

Its not a debt! It really isnt. Nothing like a mortgage or bank loan which will accumulate so much interest you'll end up paying double back. Or is over such a short period you'll pay back large repayments each month.
Its quite similar to a tax which accumulates very little interest. Like national insurance which is deducted from your pay each much without you even realising it. Its just for your privilage to have a degree, to open career opportunities and earn more.

Quick Reply

Latest