The Student Room Group

Top Uni For Economics Outside 'The Top 5'

Poll

Best Uni For Economics Outside The Top 5

(edited 11 years ago)
And which other universities are better than the above ? Its not a matter of question that the above 5 are the best , they are the best ...
Reply 2
Original post by Jackflash23
As the title says...
Best UK Universities for Economics (and related degrees) outside Oxbridge, LSE, and UCL/Warwick. Even though there are many people who see other unis better than UCL/Warwick, people generally seem to agree as these are the top 5.

Which universities do many people think are better than Warwick/UCL for economics (outside the top 5)? :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
This is a pretty meaningless poll anyway; it is like asking which is better out of UCL and Warwick. The four universities you mention probably form their own sub group after the top 5 as they are all very similar, but the point is that they are not in the top 5.
I don't think there's a huge difference between those four unis you've offered, you can't go wrong with any of them. As they're so close academically, you'd be better off choosing the one you like the most generally, that'd bring you more benefits than university/reputation. They're all quite different places so it'd be silly to go somewhere for a tiny increase in reputation (if any) and hating the university.
Reply 5
durham is more prestigous however being so far north it is harder to get good jobs in london
Durham on the basis of their course should not be on that list.

Purely on the technical quality of the course I would say Bristol.
Reply 7
Original post by Tateco
Which universities do many people think are better than Warwick/UCL for economics (outside the top 5)? :s-smilie:

i am second year econ student at durham. Durham is as close to warwick as u can get. Those ba bull**** is not true
Reply 8
Original post by Classical Liberal
Durham on the basis of their course should not be on that list.

Purely on the technical quality of the course I would say Bristol.

mate u didnt go to durham, so just say sth you know
Reply 9
Original post by 09001904

i am second year econ student at durham. Durham is as close to warwick as u can get. Those ba bull**** is not true

Lol

I carefully looked up the course, as I did think about applying there, and realised it was weak on rigorous mathematical content compared to other comporable unis.
Reply 11
Original post by Classical Liberal
I carefully looked up the course, as I did think about applying there, and realised it was weak on rigorous mathematical content compared to other comporable unis.

haha that is fair enough. pretty much what i thought 3 years ago. i rejected warwick before firming durham. if you set your mind which course is more mathematically rigourous, then durham is probably not as quantitative as other top unis.
when you get towards the second half your degree, you will realise it all boils downs to the individuals.
hope this helps! btw, wasnt trying to be a dick in the previous post, sorry if came off a bit like that
Reply 12
The poll results sum this up nicely so far.
Reply 13
Why are bristol and nottingham soo similar .. i'm so stuck on which to pick
Reply 14
how does Manchester compare to these?
Reply 15
I day say it makes absolutely dick all difference at the undergrad level.
Original post by tjunior
Why are bristol and nottingham soo similar .. i'm so stuck on which to pick

Bristol is a cooler place and has a better course, if you like maths.
Reply 17
Durham is in a category above the other three I'd say. Probably add Exeter to that list as well.
Reply 18
Original post by adc
Durham is in a category above the other three I'd say. Probably add Exeter to that list as well.

Durham's course is probably the worst of the lot listed; it's offered by the Business School rather than the School of Social sciences, and if you look at the degree content, that means there are a lot of Business, accounting and Management modules throughout the degree than at the other places.

From a brief look at their module list, you can't take any econometrics modules until your third year, whereas at the other three, you'll be doing econometrics from year 1, and there is a lot more maths content throughout the degree.

Durham University is probably better as a whole than the others listed, but it's Economics course isn't as good, unless you want a lot of business in it.
Reply 19
Original post by FDR
Durham's course is probably the worst of the lot listed; it's offered by the Business School rather than the School of Social sciences, and if you look at the degree content, that means there are a lot of Business, accounting and Management modules throughout the degree than at the other places.

From a brief look at their module list, you can't take any econometrics modules until your third year, whereas at the other three, you'll be doing econometrics from year 1, and there is a lot more maths content throughout the degree.

Durham University is probably better as a whole than the others listed, but it's Economics course isn't as good, unless you want a lot of business in it.

This is spot on, I was just too lazy to write it!

Quick Reply

Latest