The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Damn, you guys are eager... The 2012 lot haven't even got their results yet. :p:
Original post by Umairy363
Hey everyone. I want to start doing some STEP work for the exams next year so that i am thoroughly prepared. Where would be a good place to start? Should i just go over past papers, because the past papers are really difficult and overwhelming when i look at them. If you've done STEP, how did you find them in the end, and where did you start?

Finishing A-Level Maths is a good place to start so you can get started on STEP I without the limitations of not having covered the syllabus. Just keep trying with questions. It will get easier. :smile:
Original post by wcp100
I'm not doing STEP III officially.

Wait wait wait wait. Was that part of a STEP III question you were giving me? :zomg:
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Damn, you guys are eager... The 2012 lot haven't even got their results yet. :p:

We just can't restrain ourselves any longer. :colondollar:
Original post by wcp100
I'm not doing STEP III officially.

I see -- you are doing it for fun. However, others may need it.

Try the following. I deduced it yesterday, and then used it to derive a further result from this question.

Spoiler

Original post by jack.hadamard

Try the following. I deduced it yesterday, and then used it to derive a further result from this question.

Spoiler

Spoiler

EDIT: NVM - trivial mistake.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Maths_Lover

It wasn't for you (difficulty), but the way I deal with those is to try out simpler cases first.

Simplify

(1+x+x2)(1−x+x2)(1 + x + x^2)(1 - x + x^2)

where this corresponds to m=2,N=0m=2, N=0. More cases, any patterns?

Have you heard of mathematical induction?

Spoiler

I wouldn't do too much of the question as it's from this year paper.
It wasn't for you (difficulty), but the way I deal with those is to try out simpler cases first.

Simplify

Yeah - I just thought I would try it anyway (there's no harm). That would be a good idea! I was trying to do it algebraically - simplifying each expression in the brackets then combining some bits and so on until the whole thing is done. I am now getting somewhere with the algebra but I got to a part where I'm expanding something not so nice and I've got the first and last bits and it's the bit in the middle that's annoying to work out. :lol:

1+x2+x41 + x^2 + x^4 . I think I'll leave this paper. I didn't realise it was this year's.

I have, yes.

I see what you're getting at! I'll leave it though and then I'll have forgotten this conversation next year. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by wcp100
I wouldn't do too much of the question as it's from this year paper.

Ah - I didn't know. I've only seen part of this year's STEP II paper which I'm saving as a mock. In that case, I shall just leave it until next year.

1+x2+x41 + x^2 + x^4 . I'll try that tomorrow.

You should also note that these two are geometric series.
Do this product, but don't look at the question paper. :smile:
You should also note that these two are geometric series.
Do this product, but don't look at the question paper. :smile:

Yes, I had noticed. :tongue:

Alrighty, just this one (It's getting a bit late and my eyelids are drooping, so another day) and I won't look at the paper. Besides, there'll be 12 other questions to have a go at when I do. :colone:

If you are interested in what I'd done before:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

Simplify

Spoiler

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Spoiler

Either way works, but induction would be the neater, yes.

Spoiler

Reply 54
Finishing A-Level Maths is a good place to start so you can get started on STEP I without the limitations of not having covered the syllabus. Just keep trying with questions. It will get easier. :smile:

Hey, thanks for getting back to me!

I'm going over the C1-C4 content now :P. Is it worth doing all 3 STEP papers? Are there some things that are extra that is not in the syllabus of C1-C4 that is questioned in the exam?? Isn't STEP III Further Mths?
Original post by Umairy363
Hey, thanks for getting back to me!

I'm going over the C1-C4 content now :P. Is it worth doing all 3 STEP papers? Are there some things that are extra that is not in the syllabus of C1-C4 that is questioned in the exam?? Isn't STEP III Further Mths?

No problem! :smile:

That is good. It depends - which degree do you plan on doing? Personally, I am going to do all three wherever I go because I'm just a bit odd like that. STEP I and STEP II are based on C1-C4, M1, M2, S1, S2 and STEP III includes the Further Maths (and Additional Further Maths!) modules. You do not have to do Additional Further Maths if you don't want to but it is rather useful for STEP III as the applied maths questions rely on it.

There are some questions on STEP which can be done in much quicker ways if you have learned some maths outside the syllabus, for example Number Theory, Geometry, Combinatorics and Inequalities. These questions can be figured out just by thinking about them, and using the concepts covered in A-Level Maths/F.Maths but it's a lot quicker/easier if you have the experience from covering those topics.

You may find this document useful: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/127141_Specification_2012.pdf :cute:
(edited 11 years ago)
Either way works, but induction would be the neater, yes.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 57
Finish C3 and C4 then look at STEP? Or look at STEP first/simultaneously?

Yeah, I also need to take a break after all my exams. :tongue: Which year are you in?
Yeah, I also need to take a break after all my exams. :tongue: Which year are you in?

Yeah - you deserve it! :smile:

I am in year 12 - I take it you've just finished year 13?