The Student Room Group

TSR Bowed Strings Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
lol i agree....but a beginner wind player is somethin i dread....they are so loud (now hopefully everyone in this soc can agree on that? :biggrin:)
Reply 81
schnim
lol i agree....but a beginner wind player is somethin i dread....they are so loud (now hopefully everyone in this soc can agree on that? :biggrin:)

Can't agree on that. Unless you've heard a million and one beginner wind players then you really don't have a clue lol, because most a quiet because they cannot get a sound out.
Reply 82
ok maybe not the very beginning stages but once they've got past that....honk honk...maybe not so much on flute but i have heard some terrible screechs emitting frm the wind section of very junior orchestras.
Urggh, yes, junior wind orchestras! Oboes are particularly nasty; my cats got conditioned to run away whenever they saw my case open! I can't think why my parents let me take it up when I was 8 (or indeed at all, lol).
Reply 84
lol poor cats!
Reply 85
Oboes are nasty in general ( best not let my best mate see that)

However after playing in a kids orchestra yesterday , sitting right behind the strings, I can say that, that wasn't a pleasant experience either.:rolleyes:
Reply 86
true true....when your subject to those sounds you just have to focus on the end product...which maybe many, many...many yrs away! and often the cuteness of the kids makes up for it...
Reply 87
im surprised you still want to join crazy_em considering that violist are added in orange signifying pain! lol! maybe they shuld be orange cause they're lively instead?

Nah, I still want to join! Most violists I know are quite lively and random!

i don't know why violists are classed as the pain-causing ones when everyone knows that beginner violinists are counted as cruel and unusual punishment for anyone in the vicinity (or should be).

I agree! *fond memories of playing the violin come back to me*
Reply 88
silverjonny
Aww I did mean to!:redface: :hugs:

Brown is because you're special :p: it's actually because you're a bassist. Violists are in orange, signifying pain, and cellists are blue due to their cool laid-back nature.

Ah, fair enough but brown is poo colour! Could I be red, red is specialer than brown! LOL! :rolleyes:
Oooh, hazzah plz could i join, ive gotta merit in my Grade 8 violin, and i'm leader of my School symphony orchestra, string orchestra and chamber orchestra:smile:
Reply 90
nobody has posted for a while...how come? is it cause everybodys busy as hell with all the musicy stuff? just wondering what all the strings r doing....I did my A level recital yesterday...went well i think :smile:
Reply 91
Uber busy:

Childresn concerts in Poole last week, two musicals coming up; Sweet Charity and Fame (although Fame is on bass geetar), got concert on IOW soon and then in Scotland and then Dorset Youth Orchestra residential! *Phew*!
Reply 92
iv gt 6 concerts and 2 competitions in the nxt 3 weeks! why is march the mega concert time?!
Reply 93
I played a concerto with an orchestra yesterday, that was fun. Today I won a competition playing Mozart Sonata in G Major (friend playing piano) and tomorrow I have 3 competitions, playing in a Recital Class (Praeludium and Allegro, Allemande from Partita No 2 in D minor and Czardas by Monti), Duet Class (Vivaldi A minor double concerto) and Concerto Class (Spring, 4 Seasons). Oh joy.
Reply 94
yep like i said...crazy time!
Reply 95
schnim
iv gt 6 concerts and 2 competitions in the nxt 3 weeks! why is march the mega concert time?!

No idea..... LOL!

Which competitions are doing?

I'm playing for the Isle of Wight Youth Concert Band at the National Concert Band Festival Finals thingy in Scotland 1st week of April! :eek:
Reply 96
Welcome second violist! Haven't posted in a while- have been doing coursework and taking part in Music for Youth Festival- anyone else been in the regional heats? I'm in a string orchestra and we played Vivaldi's Double Concerto for two cellos and some bits of Grieg's Holberg Suite (which is extra pretty and has some brilliant viola parts)

Strings- has anyone tried Dominant strings, they're pretty darn expensive, but make a sex-tastic sound.

If any viola jokes are made I shall be miffed. I have 'je ne sais quoi' dammit!
(It's quoi, not pas btw)

silverjonny
Now, messica, I actually agree that there is a je ne sais pas about violists of the opposite sex...

Let that be a lesson to all of you. Alto clef rules!
Reply 97
messica, I dropped French five years ago, so I don't care :p:

I'm madly busy too! Itinerary:

Thursday
Grade 8, at last!

25th of March
Little school string concert

3rd of April
Audition at Imperial College (I GOT AN AUDITION! wahey!)

21st of April
A level recital

My repertoire for that lot is...

Grade 8
Wieniawski Concerto no. 2: Romanza
Brahms Sonata in A: Allegro grazioso
Bach Partita no. 2 in D minor: Gigue

School concert
Vivaldi Concerto Op 8 no. 4: Winter! :biggrin:

Audition
Massenet Meditiation from Thais (not my idea, but I'm not complaining!)

A level recital
Mozart Concert no. 3 in G: Allegro
Beethoven Romance in F

Bohemian, was that the Bedfordshire Festival of Music, Speech and Drama, by any chance? They're part of Music for Youth, btw. My school string group played the first movement of Brandenburg 3 at it last year, and we were beaten by a load of grade 2 flutes :mad:
...BTW, when's our North Beds Chamber concert? For those who don't play in it (:biggrin:) we're playing Mozart 40, Haydn 44 (Mourning), Butterworth's Banks of Green Willow (yay solo) and The Lark Ascending (yay NOT solo!)

Has anyone played at the Festival of British Youth Orchestras in Edinburgh and Glasgow?
Reply 98
silverjonny

Vivaldi Concerto Op 8 no. 4: Winter! :biggrin:
Massenet Meditiation from Thais (not my idea, but I'm not complaining!)
Beethoven Romance in F
I've done/am doing all of those :smile: I did a 4 seasons concerto for my school concert too this year. What are all the auditions for? And best of luck with the grade 8 as well.

Bohemian, was that the Bedfordshire Festival of Music, Speech and Drama, by any chance?

Yeah. It wasn't so good this year. There was some odd ajudication going on...still, can't complain.

...BTW, when's our North Beds Chamber concert? For those who don't play in it (:biggrin:) we're playing Mozart 40, Haydn 44 (Mourning), Butterworth's Banks of Green Willow (yay solo) and The Lark Ascending (yay NOT solo!)

Isn't it mid-April in the holidays? I hate The Lark Ascending, and the Butterworth isn't so great. Mozart and Hayden are really fun (but isn't the Hayden the Traur? :wink:)

Messica, Dominant strings? Really? I hate them...now I use Eudoxa GDA and Goldbrokat E. With Dominants, you don't know if they will last a week or a year, they're so unpredictable, and they make your fingers really black. The only thing I miss is being able to play really really loud on the G string, which gut strings don't appreciate so much.
oowwww the painn.... my sis' hamster bit my finger - the vampire hamster that it is - nice and septic and now i can't play cos i can't press the string down.... it is not ammusing....

... o well tis life tho

Quick Reply

Latest