The Student Room Group

La Sociedad Española

Scroll to see replies

Ooh, PE is a piece of cake. The theory is, anyway. Since I was no good at the practical, I've hence dropped it. :wink:

I don't find History that difficult... the questions are fairly predictable, and it's mostly regurgitation. Plus the grade boundaries are shockingly low for History!

Now the subject I've abandoned revision for is Music... Music GCSE should die

But we are off-topic! ¡Tenemos que hablar en español! :wink:

EDIT: ¡Bienvenida, BeeDee! ¿Qué tal?
Reply 61
brimstone
PE - understandable. I saw a practice paper for that subject, so easy. :biggrin:. Nice to know I'm taking the harder subjects, now let's see if I can pass them decently.

Indeedy. Nice to finally see something nice about exams in the news (after enduring all the stories about how Maths GCSE was ridiculously easy, dammit I earned that grade!!).
I so can't be bothered with Spanish at the moment though, my teachers have put me down to resit my Spanish AS reading, writing and listening papers:mad:, when I already have loads of exams this summer! Their policy is that if you don't get 100%, you resit (I flat out refused to resit the oral though, that bloody oral last year almost killed me!!). Which is silly really, as I can only get 16 more UMS on my other papers:rolleyes:
Grrr profesores estupides:mad:
Reply 62
BeeDee
Oi oi oi!

Can I join please? My mum is Spanish (well Majorcan, so officially Catalan dialect of Spanish) and thus she has taught I and the bro's to a semi-fluent stage. My brothers all took Spanish A level for an easy A (why didn't I? hmmm). Adam even took it as 1 of 3 - lazzzy arse.

Desde luego! You'll need to officially request membership though by going into the Socs tab at the top of your screen, finding this Society and then request to join:smile:
EDIT: Which college in Durham may I ask? I'm applying there after my gap year too.
Reply 63
BeeDee
Oi oi oi!

Can I join please? My mum is Spanish (well Majorcan, so officially Catalan dialect of Spanish) and thus she has taught I and the bro's to a semi-fluent stage. My brothers all took Spanish A level for an easy A (why didn't I? hmmm). Adam even took it as 1 of 3 - lazzzy arse.

Bienvenida :smile:. Como estas?
Reply 64
paddy357
Desde luego! You'll need to officially request membership though by going into the Socs tab at the top of your screen, finding this Society and then request to join:smile:
EDIT: Which college in Durham may I ask? I'm applying there after my gap year too.

Castle :biggrin: :suitc: :suith:
Reply 65
BeeDee
Castle :biggrin: :suitc: :suith:

Should have guessed:wink: I'll be applying for Castle for 2007 entry, might see you there:smile:
Now, BeeDee, what did I say about applying for membership officially? Tut tut:p:
Reply 66
OK, debate time. What is the best university to study Spanish / Modern Languages at?
Me gustaría que me añades a la lista por favor.

Aunque prefiero el francés, me gusta much el español y me interesa mucho la historia del país durante y desde el franquismo.
Reply 68
Ah, franquismo (assuming you mean the time of General Franco) es muy interesante. Me gusta la historia del espanol y WW2.
Reply 69
Gamma
Me gustaría que me añades a la lista por favor.

Aunque prefiero el francés, me gusta much el español y me interesa mucho la historia del país durante y desde el franquismo.

Claro, es una época muy interesante. However to properly join you need to go into the list of societies (by clicking on the Socs tab at the top of the screen) and request to join that way.:smile:
And the best uni for Spanish is obviously Anglia Polytechnic:rolleyes:
Reply 70
Hola! me llamo suzanne y tengo dieciseis anos. mi estudio espanol para GCSE me gusta mucho el espanol porque es bueno y divertido. mi espanol sin embago es muy mal a pesar de estudiar muy deramente!

ok i doubt most of that made any sense but oh well i did try
brimstone
OK, debate time. What is the best university to study Spanish / Modern Languages at?

I'd say Cambridge, but that'd just my opinion. :wink:
Reply 72
I've been looking at the Spanish course, and when I apply to unis, if doing las lenguas, will consider applying there for French and ab initio Spanish.
brimstone
I've been looking at the Spanish course, and when I apply to unis, if doing las lenguas, will consider applying there for French and ab initio Spanish.

Me being the sad person I am, have already started looking into unis for 2008 entry. :redface:

Assuming my GCSEs results are decent and I get AAAA/AAAB/AABB on my A levels, I'm planning to give Cambridge and Durham (Castle) a shot. My other four choices are likely to be less ambitious, however. :wink:

Gotta get revising though! :eek:
Reply 74
Depending on my choices, my main unis will be Cambridge, LSE or Durham.
brimstone
Depending on my choices, my main unis will be Cambridge, LSE or Durham.

Fair play. I think I can just about rule LSE out for me, my GCSEs ain't gonna be good enough for them. :rolleyes:
¿Lee alguien el libro se llama "The Shadow of the Wind" de Ruiz Carlos Zafón? Es fantástico. Es un novela de suspense sobre Barcelona y muy interesante.

In terms of unis, I'd say Oxbridge are the best, but I wouldn't know much about them :redface: But Hashshashin, surely Cambridge would be just as hard/harder to get in then LSE?
Excalibur
¿Lee alguien el libro se llama "The Shadow of the Wind" de Ruiz Carlos Zafón? Es fantástico. Es un novela de suspense sobre Barcelona y muy interesante.

I haven't read it, but I got it for Christmas and will probably read it soon. (couldn't be arsed to put that into Spanish this late, sorry everyone :redface: )

Excalibur
In terms of unis, I'd say Oxbridge are the best, but I wouldn't know much about them :redface: But Hashshashin, surely Cambridge would be just as hard/harder to get in then LSE?

Cambridge do interviews, LSE don't. That means LSE have to rely far more on GCSE as well as A level results to discriminate between candidate's abilites. While this is probably an inferior method of selecting students, interviews are not realistically possible, as LSE attracts far more foriegn students than Oxbridge.
Reply 78
Excalibur

You people realise that LSE doesn't do language degrees or joint degrees involving languages?
Anywho I'm off on my gap year this year, and will be applying for uni this Sept before I go off. I plan on applying to Cambridge (grades allowing), Durham, UCL, Edinburgh and Nottingham for Spanish and ab initio Russian:biggrin:
You know, it's all very well and good talking about which universities to apply for, but at the end of the day you still need those grades (AAA for Cambridge:frown: ), which really sucks, especially for A2:mad:
Weeeeell back to the previous question, the best unis for Spanish. Cambridge is at the top, followed by (in no particular order) UCL, Kings, Oxford, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Queen Mary, Hull, Bath, Birmingham and Sheffield (see here for the whole table).
You'll notice that Durham isn't on there, because it's not so good for the ol' Spanish (still applying though).
To those who have asked to join but are not featured in the members list: this is because you haven't officially applied yet:smile: Please read the very first post in this thread for instructions on applying (don't worry there aren't any initiations or anything!).
paddy357
You people realise that LSE doesn't do language degrees or joint degrees involving languages?
Anywho I'm off on my gap year this year, and will be applying for uni this Sept before I go off. I plan on applying to Cambridge (grades allowing), Durham, UCL, Edinburgh and Nottingham for Spanish and ab initio Russian:biggrin:
You know, it's all very well and good talking about which universities to apply for, but at the end of the day you still need those grades (AAA for Cambridge:frown: ), which really sucks, especially for A2:mad:
Weeeeell back to the previous question, the best unis for Spanish. Cambridge is at the top, followed by (in no particular order) UCL, Kings, Oxford, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Queen Mary, Hull, Bath, Birmingham and Sheffield (see here for the whole table).
You'll notice that Durham isn't on there, because it's not so good for the ol' Spanish (still applying though).
To those who have asked to join but are not featured in the members list: this is because you haven't officially applied yet:smile: Please read the very first post in this thread for instructions on applying (don't worry there aren't any initiations or anything!).

Oh right. Meh, I wouldn't know anything about language courses as I wouldn't be applying to one :p: ¿Adónde irás durante tu año de libre? (hm, I wonder what the proper word for gap year is...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending