The Student Room Group
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i went there for an open day and hated it.

people were friendly in general, but the place was horrible. you could tell that they've put a lot of effort into trying to make it better, and the city centre was alright in places, but it's just as if they've attempted to paper over the cracks. yeah, all the new shopping stuff is nice and there's a fair bit of night life, but that's no consolation when the whole place seems to be surrounded by one massive council estate.

sorry if that comes across as snobby but it's just the impression i got from the place. i know there are plenty of cities that are similar, if not worse, but personally i really didn't like liverpool. and this is coming from someone who's considering studying in new cross in london.. hahaha. not the prettiest of places, but certainly has a far better atmosphere than anything i experienced up there!
Liverpool
Visit website
^^ The centre is pretty big, there is no reason to venture outside. I have never once been outside and i think the city as a whole is great. I mean growing up in London, anywhere else other than the worlds biggest are anti-climaxes but Liverpool has held up well
Reply 22
Likewise there is no need to venture out towards the outskirts if u dont have any means to.

I do and I think there alright tbh but thats my opinion

and geee yeh I know its a lovely place been there five times mate before but I don't know if I can really leave Liverpool, theres something that is stopping me from leaving here
I love my city.
Everything in the city centre is close together, but not too close.
Anybody visiting at the moment probably won't get the right impression because of all of the regernation that's going on, but if you look past the building sites you see something spectacular.

Plus, i've never witnessed any crime and i've lived here almost 19 years, so yeah... The statistics speak for themselves... London, Manchester, Birmingham... all have considerably higher crime rates...

I'd recommend my city to anyone, hense why I don't feel the need to move away.
Reply 24
It wouldn't be down to the fact off the city that would make me move away. Thats just a matter of my course for next year.

Id also reccommend Liverpool to anyone has a city. Its a lovely place
raisin.
i went there for an open day and hated it.

people were friendly in general, but the place was horrible. you could tell that they've put a lot of effort into trying to make it better, and the city centre was alright in places, but it's just as if they've attempted to paper over the cracks. yeah, all the new shopping stuff is nice and there's a fair bit of night life, but that's no consolation when the whole place seems to be surrounded by one massive council estate.

sorry if that comes across as snobby but it's just the impression i got from the place. i know there are plenty of cities that are similar, if not worse, but personally i really didn't like liverpool. and this is coming from someone who's considering studying in new cross in london.. hahaha. not the prettiest of places, but certainly has a far better atmosphere than anything i experienced up there!

To be fair, you couldn't have seen a lot of the city from an open day. Did you see Woolton? Childwall? West Derby village? Croxteth, Sefton and Calderstones parks?

Please don't dismiss the city offhand if you've only seen a tiny portion of it. Seeing the inner city (which, for most cities, isn't going to be pretty) doesn't mean you have seen Liverpool.

And I slightly resent the fact that you insinuate that everyone lives in a council estate. Not that there's anything WRONG with that, but you obviously didn't witness a lot of residential areas which are a far cry from an estate.
Reply 26
yeh west derby, walton, norris green, toxteth, sefton park

thats where u see what I call the real Liverpool
Reply 27
JaneThePain
To be fair, you couldn't have seen a lot of the city from an open day. Did you see Woolton? Childwall? West Derby village? Croxteth, Sefton and Calderstones parks?

Please don't dismiss the city offhand if you've only seen a tiny portion of it. Seeing the inner city (which, for most cities, isn't going to be pretty) doesn't mean you have seen Liverpool.

And I slightly resent the fact that you insinuate that everyone lives in a council estate. Not that there's anything WRONG with that, but you obviously didn't witness a lot of residential areas which are a far cry from an estate.

yeah, i think i saw croxteth and sefton park. they were alright, nothing special, certainly nothing different to anywhere else in the UK.

you're right in that i shouldn't dismiss the city based on a three day visit, but in fairness if i thought the inner city was a dump (which i did), then why would i be bothered about the outside areas? if you're moving somewhere for uni then virtually everything that you're going to need on a daily basis is gonna be in the city centre, which in my personal opinion, wasn't that great.

i'm not saying that liverpool is awful, just that it isn't my cup of tea. i also didn't mean to insinuate that everyone lives in a council estate, and i know there are nicer areas too, but in all honestly liverpool is renowned for being surrounded by not so nice residential areas. i just thought the whole place looked run down and dirty, hence why i didn't like it. it's just an opinion though; i didn't mean to state that it was fact or anything. sorry if i offended :smile:
Reply 28
Liverpool has the largest amount of listed buildings outside london! My favourite things are the Liver buildings, St Georges hall, Adelphi building, the Anglican and Catholic cathedrals, Albert Dock, the Tate gallery, Concert square, Sefton Park, Cavern quarter, amazing football (but thats personal) Also the nightlife is amazing!

Seriously i have visited a friend in manchester a few times and its city centre seems really unclean and a bit dated, ditto to Oxford road area... Liverpool is just so beautiful.
I really don't like liverpool at all! I goto uni there but commute, i really hate walking round the shops there its just horrible! The nightlife is OK though.
I love liverpool going to JMU in september and cant wait the night life is amazin theres sooo many to choice from!! an the shops liverpool one is huuuge an everythings close together what more could you want?
Reply 31
Hmmm crime wouldnt worry me- alot of police everywhere- only if you go wondering around estates but students stay in the centre. As for dump- nahh only thing which annoys me is there isnt much to do in the evening if you dont feel like clubbing. Its like no other activity exists. But the cinema now opens till later. I love the shopping centre- the place is really football orientated but thats quite fun. Food places are getting better but is not the best if your picky with food. But no not a dump and im picky, if you like shopping its the perfect sized shopping centre- so you will be pleased. Its alrite, just the activied in eve need to be increased
Reply 32
It's a great place, it doesnt look stunning on the approach (Edge Lane) but that doesnt give the true impression.

You shouldnt worry about crime, as the police are always nearby. And there's high visability patrols of a night (especially around concert square)

The nightlife (and not just clubbing) is good, as raven says, there's the brand new cinema, there's bowling, there's cheap eateries and there's shopping.

Dont let the stereotypes cloud your view, visit the place. If one of the Universities does your course (which is very likely) and you like the place Id suggest it goes down as one of your options.
******* hell, are people inept on this forum?

Why don't you go vist the city and experience it yourself, instead of asking people on the internet who will always have an agenda.
xhelen1989x
I really don't like liverpool at all! I goto uni there but commute, i really hate walking round the shops there its just horrible! The nightlife is OK though.

Ah yes, Chester the Utopia of England. :rolleyes:

I've never got why people insist on studying here if they hate the place.
Reply 35
DontBuyTheSun

People that go for teaching quality rather than the city their in. Not defending their decision but there's more to a Uni course than the city it takes place in.

As Ive said I love Liverpool (it's a lot better than Warrington), it's a bit rough at the edges, but where isnt, but it doesnt matter to me.
DontBuyTheSun
Ah yes, Chester the Utopia of England. :rolleyes:

I don't actually live in chester but i live near there, its a lot nicer than liverpool in my opinion.

And I study in Liverpool but I don't live there, I commute...and yes its soley to goto the uni i want to goto and do the course i want to do not about the city its in.
AustralAlien
Just don't go into Toxteth OP and you'll be fine.

Please don't write about something that you know nothing about. Liverpool University is IN TOXTETH!!

I am from Leeds, and I can say without fear of contradiction that Liverpool is a far more interesting city than Leeds, Manchester or any other city outside of London.

The night life is fantastic and much cheaper than other cities. The people are great. They have a feel for life and a zest that other cities don't. And for someone from Yorkshire, the crowning glory is that on summer weekends, when there is no football, the entire population seems to head for the beach!! I did not believe it at first, but the beaches are great. Can you imagine the fun with thousands of scousers having BBQ's on the beach? I vouch for and recommend Ainsdale, West Kirkby and Formby.

Liverpool a Dump? Nothing could be further from the truth. Go for a weekend and find out.
Your Name Here
Please don't write about something that you know nothing about. Liverpool University is IN TOXTETH!!

I am from Leeds, and I can say without fear of contradiction that Liverpool is a far more interesting city than Leeds, Manchester or any other city outside of London.

The night life is fantastic and much cheaper than other cities. The people are great. They have a feel for life and a zest that other cities don't. And for someone from Yorkshire, the crowning glory is that on summer weekends, when there is no football, the entire population seems to head for the beach!! I did not believe it at first, but the beaches are great. Can you imagine the fun with thousands of scousers having BBQ's on the beach? I vouch for and recommend Ainsdale, West Kirkby and Formby.

Liverpool a Dump? Nothing could be further from the truth. Go for a weekend and find out.

Liverpool University is in Liverpool City Centre, well, just outside on the way to Edge Hill. Although not far from Toxteth, I would still (jokingly, as in the same way I wrote the other post, numbnuts) recommend you stay away from there,
Reply 39
Yep, as said above, Toxteth is about a mile from the University, it's the opposite side of Smithdown Road to the Uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending