The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Calling all Warwick Students - which halls are the best?

the title says it all - I need some advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rootes

Although if you want more luxury JM.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
rootes
Reply 3
Rootes
Lol everyone's going to come in here and name their own hall :P

Cryfield or Rootes, nothing between them :smile:
99p And A Flake
Lol everyone's going to come in here and name their own hall :P

Cryfield or Rootes, nothing between them :smile:

you mean lolfield, am i rite?
We had lots of lols :biggrin: because we had a common room, unlike in Rootes :p: or indeed anywhere else. And no noise from the union. And ducks; the ducks were great :yep:

I've gone a bit emoticon-happy. Sorry.
Reply 7
99p And A Flake
We had lots of lols :biggrin: because we had a common room, unlike in Rootes :p: or indeed anywhere else. And no noise from the union. And ducks; the ducks were great :yep:

And it's a £1000 cheaper. (Y)
Cryfield. It's the cheapest and has a good social atmosphere.
Reply 9
If you go for Jack Martin instead of Rootes are you sacrificing the good social for slightly more luxury?
Reply 10
Goddamn, I get asked this all the time when I do campus tours, it REALLY depends on what you want. If you want quiet, go for AV, if you want loud go for Rootes, if you want mediocre go to Tocil, and the rest kinda fall inbetween all those in some sort of 3 dimensional graph..
Reply 11
what about heronbank and lakeside?? - look nice but too far out/ not very social??
Reply 12
Jack Martin is the best. everyone who tells you otherwise is simply stupid. Yeah sure everyone will go on about how Rootes is a party place but take this into consideration:

1) did you guys really enjoy having all those firealarms in the middle of the night? must think you guys are really cool setting them off all the time. real pranksters you lot are. i could only rmb 1 fire alarm going off in JM (not my one even) and that was because someone left the bathroom door open after the shower.
2) having all that noise when youre trying to sleep/rest for an exam or because your sick?
3) have those super annoying corridors and stairs...honestly.
4) having such ****** shared toilets?
5) ever wished you could have lived in super awesome JM with all the social benefits as well as luxury comforts as your own shower/bath/toilet and then simply go and trash Rootes when you wanted to party?

Jack Martin is best.
afterwards id probably go for Arthur Vick.They have much bigger rooms (well some do atleast...its all to do with their building layout...one guy had a absolutly massive room because he was in a building corner i think) but their problem is theyre further away from central campus...but its not too bad.
then id prob go for either Rootes or Whitefields.
then Claycroft.

Heronbank and Lakeside are quite a distance away. lol i remember getting absolutely lost when i was trying to get back from Lakeside drunk.

Tocil is okay...however i got the impression that it has too many unsocial post grads etc. plus they have this thing where it seems each seperate corridor needs a key to be accessed...although i havent been in too many Tocil places. but if thats the case thats pretty lame.

p.s. Cryfield is ****. Claycroft > Cryfield. complete dump and 0 fit girls. but lots of slags.
pogrom
Jack Martin is the best. everyone who tells you otherwise is simply stupid. Yeah sure everyone will go on about how Rootes is a party place but take this into consideration:

1) did you guys really enjoy having all those firealarms in the middle of the night?
2) having all that noise when youre trying to sleep/rest for an exam or because your sick?
3) have those super annoying corridors and stairs...honestly.
4) having such ****** shared toilets?
5) ever wished you could have lived in super awesome JM with all the social benefits as well as luxury comforts as your own shower/bath/toilet and then simply go and trash Rootes when you wanted to party?

Jack Martin is best.
afterwards id probably go for Arthur Vick.They have much bigger rooms (well some do atleast...its all to do with their building layout...one guy had a absolutly massive room because he was in a building corner i think) but their problem is theyre further away from central campus...but its not too bad.
then id prob go for either Rootes or Whitefields.
then Claycroft.

Heronbank and Lakeside are quite a distance away. lol i remember getting absolutely lost when i was trying to get back from Lakeside drunk.

Tocil is okay...however i got the impression that it has too many unsocial post grads etc. plus they have this thing where it seems each seperate corridor needs a key to be accessed...although i havent been in too many Tocil places. but if thats the case thats pretty lame.

p.s. Cryfield is ****. Claycroft > Cryfield. complete dump and 0 fit girls. but lots of slags.

obviously never been into anywhere except JM. most people in JM don't talk, sharing toilets is a non-issue for most normal people corridors are fun.
Reply 14
vix_245
Having spent the last year at lakeside...it really isnt too far...like 10 mins to SU/ramphal. Its just a mission from tescos haha! And it can be really really quiet sometimes which sucks, but its kinda down to you to organise things...get talking with people from different flats etc to have great parties! And the wardens for block 2 are pretty chilled out :-) made a great year!

you went to Tescos from Lakeside? wow, thats commitment :biggrin: p.s. dont wardens usually change each year? or how does it work?

Totally Tom
obviously never been into anywhere except JM. most people in JM don't talk, sharing toilets is a non-issue for most normal people corridors are fun.

erm so very wrong. i could tell you just how much ive been in the various accommodations but for now ill only say the only ones i dont remember being in are: Heronbank and Hurst. i guess i could add Benefactors to that because i was only there for 1-2 parties and it was in those main living room areas they have - never saw any rooms so cant comment on them. same for Redfern (Erasmus party or something). but all the other ones ive been in plenty enough of times to be able to comment on them.

dunno what your chating about JM, our JM was absolutly awesome (although ill admit one kitchen in the building seemed very secluded).

sharing toilets might not be a serious issue but ive seen some ****** up ones in my time (mainly Cryfield and Rootes). plus having your own shower and bath is just awesome. dont have to wait for anyone, clean up after anyone other than yourself, much more hygienic etc.

dont understand what you mean about the corridors comment though.

99p And A Flake

dont Benefactors have a common room? plus the AV places have quite big kitchens which i would say are like common rooms in a way.
Reply 15
oh thats right. Benefactors is the one with the shared rooms. i think i might have actually been in one or two when i went there...was looking for a loo i think :tongue: i seem to rmb it being quite cool...like 2 story or something with their own private ladder? but i really dont remember it that well though. they have a nice pond outside dont they :P
Reply 16
pogrom
you went to Tescos from Lakeside? wow, thats commitment :biggrin: p.s. dont wardens usually change each year? or how does it work?

erm so very wrong. i could tell you just how much ive been in the various accommodations but for now ill only say the only ones i dont remember being in are: Heronbank and Hurst. i guess i could add Benefactors to that because i was only there for 1-2 parties and it was in those main living room areas they have - never saw any rooms so cant comment on them. same for Redfern (Erasmus party or something). but all the other ones ive been in plenty enough of times to be able to comment on them.

dunno what your chating about JM, our JM was absolutly awesome (although ill admit one kitchen in the building seemed very secluded).

sharing toilets might not be a serious issue but ive seen some ****** up ones in my time (mainly Cryfield and Rootes). plus having your own shower and bath is just awesome. dont have to wait for anyone, clean up after anyone other than yourself, much more hygienic etc.

dont understand what you mean about the corridors comment though.

dont Benefactors have a common room? plus the AV places have quite big kitchens which i would say are like common rooms in a way.

Rootes
Reply 17
Doesn't Jack Martin's ensuites mean that the social is average or does it not affect it? Would you say it is second in the ranking of 'most social halls' (to rootes)?
Reply 18
I would say its whitefields after rootes
Reply 19
how is having a private toilet going to affect social life? unless someone basis all their social interactions on liaisons in public toilets. whitefields is a good call but how many people does it hold? must depend on your group...would be awesome if Whitefields could be chosen as 2nd/3rd year accommodation where you could choose your roommates haha.

@ olismit also be sure that you actually take your advice from people who are already studying in Warwick :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest