The Student Room Group

TSR Veggie Society

Scroll to see replies

I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about 10 years, although I didn't stop eating fish until I was 11. This feels like an alcoholics anonymous style meeting "Hi, I'm Jen and I'm a vegetarian" (applause) x
Reply 41
I'd like to become a member I was veggie for 8 years but was severly anemic, I need to eat meat as supplements were not as effective and I do understand that eating meat is the 'natural' way to get your iron and I'm doing ok now. But as an honory member I'll join, I'm there in spirit and I think you do a good job!
Reply 42
ok im veggie right , but i dont know if im lacto - veg, or lacto - ovo -veg, i eat eggs, cheese and milk , yoghurts etc, but dont eat meat or fish. which type am i ? its always confused me ?
Reply 43
im exactly the same and i think i am a lacto vegetarian
Reply 44
I'm a veggie, but I might eat a fish that died of "natural causes".

Kidding.
Reply 45
ok here are the classifications:

Lacto-ovo veggie: the classic run of the mill type veggie which is what the food leabels cater for - you do not eat meat or fish, but do eat eggs and dairy.

Lacto - veggie: you do not eat meat,fish or eggs but do have dairy

Vegan: no animal products - no meat, fish, eggs or dairy

Semi - Veg: trickier this is a psuedoclassifcation - um you only eat white meat/fish
Reply 46
**R**
ok im veggie right , but i dont know if im lacto - veg, or lacto - ovo -veg, i eat eggs, cheese and milk , yoghurts etc, but dont eat meat or fish. which type am i ? its always confused me ?

you are lacto-ovo (lacto = dairy and ovo = eggs)
i'm a semi. :biggrin:
I'm a veggie also. No meat or fish but I eat eggs and cheese. Have been so for errrm 8 years
BlackHawk
I'm a veggie also. No meat or fish but I eat eggs and cheese. Have been so for errrm 8 years

I was a vegetarian for almost an entire year when i was 12, but i decided to turn back to my meat-eating ways. I still only eat fish and chicken though but that's more of a taste issue.

PS. Let me be an honourary member! I love broccoli!
Reply 50
Some links:

http://www.vegsoc.org/ - has some veggie recipes and stuff

http://www.vegsoc.org/youth/Parentteenager.pdf
Reply 51
PROTEIN RICH FOODS
ALTERNATIVES TO MEAT
2-3 portions daily. This group
would be traditionally looked
at as the meat section.
Vegetarians get a plentiful
supply of protein and iron
from pulses, nuts, seeds,
eggs, tofu, soya, mycoprotein
and wheat protein
Reply 52
Does anyone get annoyed by the fact that most sweets are not suitable for vegetarians?

I wonder if anyone actually knows that one E number - which is for Cochineal - red colouring - is made from crushed beetles!?!

Ahh because of Gelatine I can't eat cola bottles although I have done mistakenly in the past. I remember buying a bag full and then remembering on the way home - my neighbour was pleased with getting a free bagful though.
Falguni
Does anyone get annoyed by the fact that most sweets are not suitable for vegetarians?

I wonder if anyone actually knows that one E number - which is for Cochineal - red colouring - is made from crushed beetles!?!

Ahh because of Gelatine I can't eat cola bottles although I have done mistakenly in the past. I remember buying a bag full and then remembering on the way home - my neighbour was pleased with getting a free bagful though.

YES! i find the cochineal thing gross. and there something inherently wrong with meat products in sweets.

Same thing with cola-bottles- not halal.
Reply 54
We now have our very own veggie soc logo - request one by going to user cp/group membership!
Reply 55
I'm a piscaterian - one of those odd fish-eating types. Basically, my morals are more emotive than systematic, and i just don't like fish as much as other animals. Wouldn't be bothered about the crushing beatles thing either. Guess I'm just heartless.
wanderer
I'm a piscaterian - one of those odd fish-eating types. Basically, my morals are more emotive than systematic, and i just don't like fish as much as other animals. Wouldn't be bothered about the crushing beatles thing either. Guess I'm just heartless.

i'm kinda like that... but with chicken too.
Reply 57
I'm a vegetarian (have been for five years) and I don't eat meat or fish, which apparently makes me a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

So can I join please?? :biggrin:
Reply 58
Me i'll join! im not veggie but i love vegetables...everyone thinks thats weird, obviously here u wont!!
Reply 59
Falguni
ok here are the classifications:

Lacto-ovo veggie: the classic run of the mill type veggie which is what the food leabels cater for - you do not eat meat or fish, but do eat eggs and dairy.

Lacto - veggie: you do not eat meat,fish or eggs but do have dairy

Vegan: no animal products - no meat, fish, eggs or dairy

Semi - Veg: trickier this is a psuedoclassifcation - um you only eat white meat/fish

I'm a Lact-ovo Veggie. Can I join? I thought lacto-ovo vegge and Vegan is the same thing !!!:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest