The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

There's been a rise in threads recently asking about the A* grade at a level, which are all very similar to each other so I thought I'd make a single thread for any questions you have for the A* along with some of the main points in it too.

Please note: Unfortunately, many teachers seem to be unaware of these rules. If you hear any information from your teacher that contradicts the information below, don't believe it - the information provided below is correct.

CLICK HERE FOR A GRADE (A*) CALCULATOR

What mark do you need to be able to receive an A*?

*80% UMS Overall
*90% UMS Overall for the A2 units

(Note: You do not need to score 90% on each A2 unit. Instead, you need to AVERAGE 90% across all the A2 units)

You can't get an A* at AS and you don't get it for getting 90% overall. Only the A2 units count towards an A* meaning even if you get 100% in your AS units, if you get 89% in your A2 units you won't get an A*.

For Maths you need to get 90% AVERAGE in C3 and C4 and not 3 A2 units like the others. The 80% overall still stands.

Resitting modules?

You can still retake modules and get an A*. The A* grade results rule apply to the best result for each AS and A2 unit meaning that you can get this result at the first sitting or subsequent sittings.

For Edexcel's official information on the A* grade and regarding resits.

Universities on the A* grade?

No one fully knows how the A* grade will work out and affect offers that they will make. A few universities (Inc. Cambridge, Imperial and UCL) have confirmed they will be incorporating some A*AA offers as standard.

AEAs?

With A*s being introduced the majority of AEAs are no longer going to be available. The last sitting for AEAs will be June 2009. With the exception of edexcel Maths which has been extended until 2012.

A* in UCAS points?

It's worth 140 ucas points.

My A2 units add up to an A* but I got a B overall. Why is this?

You need to achieve an A grade across all the A Level units both AS and A2. In this case, you may not have done as well in your AS units and you may
wish to consider whether you should re-sit your AS units to improve your overall grade.

How are A Level Maths and Further Maths different?

The structure of A Level Mathematics is different from other subjects, and so uses a slightly different rule. It is currently possible to achieve A Level Mathematics with four AS and two A2 units or with three AS and three A2 units. Therefore, so that the same rule can be applied to all unit combinations, candidates must get a grade A on the A Level overall and achieve 90% of the UMS on the two mandatory A2 units combined (units C3 and C4). It is also possible to achieve A Level Further Mathematics with more than three A2 units.

For more infomation about the above and other questions you may want to have look at the A* page on the wiki.

This has been quite quickly put together so if anyone has anything to add to it then let me know.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey,

Can someone explain on how to get an A* in A-level Maths please? Ive heard so many different things like...

- Getting it by getting 70% at AS-level Minimum and 90% at A2 with 90% average in C3/C4.

- 80% at AS-level and 90% in A2 with 90% average in C3/C4.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Amit92
Hey,

Can someone explain on how to get an A* in A-level Maths please? Ive heard so many different things like...

- Getting it by getting 70% at AS-level Minimum and 90% at A2 with 90% average in C3/C4.

Thanks.

80%+ average over all 6 modules, and 90%+ average between only C3 and C4.

and for Further Maths A level, 80%+ average over all 6 modules and 90%+ average over 3 A2 modules.
Amit92
Hey,

Thanks.

In bold is correct.
Wow! I am so surprised at how many times this type of thread pops up every week!!

Yeah, just to re-inforce, it's 80% overall (480ums from 6 modules) and 90% average from C3 and C4 combined (180ums from C3+C4)
Reply 5
.:excel4100%:.
Wow! I am so surprised at how many times this type of thread pops up every week!!

Yeah, just to re-inforce, it's 80% overall (480ums from 6 modules) and 90% average from C3 and C4 combined (180ums from C3+C4)

So you could get 85% in AS and then like 90% in C3 and C4 and like 50% in one applied module and still get an A*? :O, are resits allowed?
Amit92
So you could get 85% in AS and then like 90% in C3 and C4 and like 50% in one applied module and still get an A*? :O, are resits allowed?

You could get 180/300 in AS (which is a C) and get 300/300 in A2 and still get an A* as you have fulfilled both requirements:

1) 180 + 300 = 480ums overall

2) (100+100)/2 = 100% average over C3 and C4
Reply 7
.:excel4100%:.
You could get 180/300 in AS (which is a C) and get 300/300 in A2 and still get an A* as you have fulfilled both requirements:

1) 180 + 300 = 480ums overall

2) (100+100)/2 = 100% average over C3 and C4

Wow so they only care bout C3/C4 lol?
the second one
Reply 9
Anon the 7th
the second one

Execel just said you could get a C at AS and 100% in C3/C4 and applied module and still get an A*!
Amit92
Wow so they only care bout C3/C4 lol?

It's because C1 and C2 are really easy.

Oh wait... They're all really easy. :shifty:
Amit92

As far as I'm aware you can resit to your hearts content.
The second one is NOT correct. Post #2 is correct.
Reply 13
cheers guys :smile:
Can you get A* at a-level? shouldnt tehy call it Astar level ten?
Reply 16
Bluebird92
And for A Level Further Maths, the same does apply except the 90% is across all A2 modules, because they all are essentially A2 modules - while still achieving 80% overall.

No it isn't. It's only across your 3 top A2 modules.
Adam92
No it isn't. It's only across your 3 top A2 modules.

It's just a qualification at the end of the day, though. I don't know exactly how everything works but it's vague and difficult to understand. I think as time goes on and the more familiar it becomes it won't be so bad :smile:
Reply 18
Bluebird92
It's just a qualification at the end of the day, though. I don't know exactly how everything works but it's vague and difficult to understand. I think as time goes on and the more familiar it becomes it won't be so bad :smile:

Yeah, but you know how competitive TSR is, especially with maths... Everyone's gunna be wanting A*s.
Nfixlol
80%+ average over all 6 modules, and 90%+ average between only C3 and C4.

and for Further Maths A level, 80%+ average over all 6 modules and 90%+ average over 3 A2 modules.

my fm teacher said any three modules will do...because apparently fm is a lot harder..so they will accept that :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest