The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
DebraN9
Ahh I need help..I went out driving with my dad today and either it was just a terrible lesson or I am just terribly bad!! I tried doing a reverse park and reverse round a corner and both didn't go very well...I'm not sure if it's just cos it's a different car or i just can't get the hang of it...

I know they are quite hard to explain but was wondering if anyone could talk me through how they have learnt to do these two manouvres? it's just my dad seems to think i've been taught wrong (i don't necessarily think so though..) but thought it would be interesting to see if anyone can describe what they do...

feel so depressed that i still can't do it!! :frown:

Reverse round a corner:

Park up near but not right next to the curb.
Observations
Start to reverse slowly
While looking round, always glance your eyes into your left mirror to see how close the kerb is. If the kerb starts to go out of the view of the mirror put a bit more steer on, if your going towards or too close.. then let some of the steering go off.

Reverse park:
Pull up next to the car 1 door width away so your backs are next to each other.
Start to reverse and put one full rotation of wheel to the left
When your wing mirror is level with the back of the car one full rotation to the right
When the kerb goes out of view in your left mirror full lock to the right.

Put different people do it different ways so nothing is essentially wrong if it works for you.
Reply 61
Rucklo
Reverse round a corner:

Park up near but not right next to the curb.
Observations
Start to reverse slowly
While looking round, always glance your eyes into your left mirror to see how close the kerb is. If the kerb starts to go out of the view of the mirror put a bit more steer on, if your going towards or too close.. then let some of the steering go off.

Reverse park:
Pull up next to the car 1 door width away so your backs are next to each other.
Start to reverse and put one full rotation of wheel to the left
When your wing mirror is level with the back of the car one full rotation to the right
When the kerb goes out of view in your left mirror full lock to the right.

Put different people do it different ways so nothing is essentially wrong if it works for you.

For the reverse around corner: all of it sounds like what I do...but at which point do you start steering? because i've been taught to reverse back to the first curved kerbstone..but i find it hard to know when i'm there..is it mainly about just judging it correctly?

as for the reverse park, that's how i've been taught.

so i've decided i just need more practice (and more faith in myself!). Thanks for the help!
Reply 62
DebraN9
For the reverse around corner: all of it sounds like what I do...but at which point do you start steering? because i've been taught to reverse back to the first curved kerbstone..but i find it hard to know when i'm there..is it mainly about just judging it correctly?

I don't have a set steering time, like I said I judge it from how far the wheels are from the kerb, if they start to go away I turn, thats about it.

Just do it really slow to start with and build up from there.
When you want to park in a car park, do you signal left, to show that you will park and let the cars go past you?

That's what I did today, signaled left, with my breaks on and most cars went through. One of the cars albeit a few bays away but it's was about 6 / 7 bays away, and there was a trolly park there and she was stopped behind me with my signal still on, she overtook and went past me, I haven't had the chance to park, and she called me a fat cow who doesn't deserve to be on the road. :sad:

I must say, her calling me that really killed me today :frown: Felt quite annoyed and depressed by her. I felt I did everything by the book, so I'm just checking with you guys now...
Reply 64
Ducklighter
When you want to park in a car park, do you signal left, to show that you will park and let the cars go past you?

That's what I did today, signaled left, with my breaks on and most cars went through. One of the cars albeit a few bays away but it's was about 6 / 7 bays away, and there was a trolly park there and she was stopped behind me with my signal still on, she overtook and went past me, I haven't had the chance to park, and she called me a fat cow who doesn't deserve to be on the road. :sad:

I must say, her calling me that really killed me today :frown: Felt quite annoyed and depressed by her. I felt I did everything by the book, so I'm just checking with you guys now...

Why did you signal and wait?

Just pull into the space...
Rucklo
Why did you signal and wait?

Just pull into the space...

nope. Signalled and waited for all the cars to go past. About 4 cars went past whilst I was waiting still with my signal was on...
Reply 66
Ducklighter
nope. Signalled and waited for all the cars to go past. About 4 cars went past whilst I was waiting still with my signal was on...

Why though?

If your parking a car you indicate and pull into the space not wait for cars to go past you no?
Rucklo
Why though?

If your parking a car you indicate and pull into the space not wait for cars to go past you no?

I was going to but someone came right up me, so I couldn't do a reverse bay park, which is what I wanted to do... therefore I had to wait for them to go past in order for me to do the bay park.
Reply 68
Ducklighter
I was going to but someone came right up me, so I couldn't do a reverse bay park, which is what I wanted to do... therefore I had to wait for them to go past in order for me to do the bay park.

Ah gotcha, what a weird woman.
Rucklo
Ah gotcha, what a weird woman.

Me?..

if so I'm sorry. I really can't drive into a bay for some reason, I seem to misjudge it and have to reverse, therefore I perfer to do a reverse park when I can do it all in one :smile:
Reply 70
Ducklighter
Me?..

if so I'm sorry. I really can't drive into a bay for some reason, I seem to misjudge it and have to reverse, therefore I perfer to do a reverse park when I can do it all in one :smile:

No the other woman :p:.
Rucklo
No the other woman :p:.

haha was about to say, 'Don't slide with her' :P

Thankkks for clearing that up. I thought I was in the wrong then.
Reply 72
DebraN9
ha, i know, i also dread to think!! how much longer do you think you have to go until you take your test?

Not sure- still isn't booked. I need to do two more manouvers and dual carriageways, I think. I really can't afford much more, but I can't just stop.

As for your last question, I've been taught two ways of doing left reverse- One where you look in the left wing mirror and another (possibly easier) one where you use the back window. The back window one only seems to work in hatchbacks, though.
Lesson at 1 :biggrin:
Kinda dreading it though, as it's in the town where all driving tests are held and the traffic always looks really busy and manic.
Reply 74
Atrixa
Not sure- still isn't booked. I need to do two more manouvers and dual carriageways, I think. I really can't afford much more, but I can't just stop.

As for your last question, I've been taught two ways of doing left reverse- One where you look in the left wing mirror and another (possibly easier) one where you use the back window. The back window one only seems to work in hatchbacks, though.

Well I've been taught two ways of doing it too - but not really allowed to look at the left wing mirror...well you can, but only glances. Got to really look behind but I find it difficult cos I just can't really tell where the kerb is when I do that..

Quite surprised you've still got two manouvres to learn though. I've done it all just need to practice practice practice. My parents are paying for lessons but it doesn't make the price any better, still costs a fortune and I'm beginning to feel guilty. Definitely don't stop though - I know it can be tempting but unless you really can't afford it, I'd stick with it. You'll probably be spending more money in the long run if you give up now.
Reply 75
Got my 2nd theory test tomorrow, I failed the first one because of the Hazard Perception. Any advice/tips as to how I can ensure I pass that section the second time round? I practise but my results vary and are usually borderline passes, which arent reassuring! Thanks :smile:

Edit: I passed! :biggrin:
Had my 4th lesson today, started on the test routes :biggrin: Still gotta lot of learning to do though, I've got to watch how close I get to parked cars and making sure I don't roll back (due to my clutch control) when stopping at junctions. Getting used to it though :biggrin: And I've got my theory next week, I'm pretty confident with that :smile:
Got to go on some test routes yesterday.
I'm pretty proud at how I done. :proud: Had no hiccups or anything. :biggrin:
The only fault I had was pushing the brake to late when turning into my road, when the lesson had finished. I stalled haha. :o:
It amused me because I've been up that road so many times now, at the start/end of a lesson and managed to mess up. Despite just driving somewhere I haven't driven in before. :p:
This may sound silly/obvious but on the hazard perception test, does a red traffic light count as a hazard? Since the driver would have to slow down? :s-smilie:
Ahhhh got my theory test in an hour!

Latest

Trending

Trending