The Student Room Group

am i too old to study physiotherapy?

I have ben offered a place to study physiotherapy in September 2011. I am really worried now that I am too old. I'm 40 next month. When I went for interview everybody was around 18 (well looked it to me) and during the interview they did ask if I would feel "isolated" because of my age. Does anybody know if many mature students do physio courses or am I mad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's not old. I have an offer to start physio in sept 2011 too, I'll be 31. I believe it's a course where there can be a real mixture of students, and depending on the Uni there can be as many as 50% 'more mature' students. It'll be fine :-)
Reply 2
Original post by meg10
I have ben offered a place to study physiotherapy in September 2011. I am really worried now that I am too old. I'm 40 next month. When I went for interview everybody was around 18 (well looked it to me) and during the interview they did ask if I would feel "isolated" because of my age. Does anybody know if many mature students do physio courses or am I mad?

Not at all! My mum is in her first year of a physio degree and she's in her 40s. If you want to do physio go for it. My mum is loving it!
hey i'm 40yrs old and 41 in march and just applied and awaiting responses from uni's which one are you going to??
Reply 4
i've been offered a place at oxford brookes. That is the nearest university to me. It is so reassuring to know that other mature students are applying for physio. It is hard to tell from open days and interviews. Where are you applying to
Reply 5
No your not, I've been offered a place this year and I'll be 28, I also have a friend who is currently in her 2nd year and is in her late 30's and she is loving every minute of it!
Reply 6
No you are not old, I always say education don't require a certain age when ever you have the determination you can do it.

I know a lady shes 50 in her firt year at uni doing physio.
Reply 7
Where I'm at half the year is over 21. I'm 33, and there are plenty in their late 30's/40's. You'll graduate at 43 and then have 20 years of working ahead of you at least! Go for it.
If it's any consolation - we have someone older than you in my year of medicine...

You'l be fine, and patients will trust you more ^_^
Reply 9
That's going to be my prime chat up line when I'm your age.
Reply 10
You're never too old to do what you want to do! Just go for it, don't worry about what anyone else think :smile:
Reply 11
Several people in their forties on my course. I do think some uni's have a better age mix than others, at the King's open day I was the only one not around 19 when they started but at George's the whole course was a real mix
Original post by meg10

You're definitely not too old! There's a woman on my course who's going to be 60 this year.
Reply 13
Thanks for all the reassurance. It can be very scary going back to education after almost 20 years. It is something I really want to do so I suppose I just have to go for it and not worry about the age of others around me. I could be a good case study for the effects of aging on the body !!
Reply 14
You'll be fine Meg10. Admittedly it is very daunting at first, after all the doubts, but once you're settled you'll realise it's probably the best decision you ever made. I went back to education 15 years after leaving school, where I basically messed about and didn't try very hard. I had a partner and baby and gave up a full time job to do an access course. I am now three years into a four-year degree where I'm training to be a dietitian and I love it. I would never have forseen myself doing anything like this, but I'm so glad I took the chance and went for it.

Good luck x
Reply 15
Hi Meg
Can i ask when you had your interview with Oxford Brookes. I'm hoping to go there and applied for the Sept 11 intake. However, looking at all these posts with people already having interviews i'm now thinking that maybe i haven't got in :-(
hiya Meg,

little bit of hope for you i'm 40yrs old :-) so you're not the oldest lol but I must say i've had 2 rejections so far. I bought a book 'how to get into physiotherapy' and it did say in the back of the book that 30yrs old was the cut off although no university has said that is why I have been rejected (as I dont think they can descriminate). if you have had an interview you must be absolytely fine. Good Luck xxx
Reply 17
No they're not allowed to discriminate against age anymore. We have 50+ year olds studying on my dietetics course.
Reply 18
Original post by pooches
Hi Meg
Can i ask when you had your interview with Oxford Brookes. I'm hoping to go there and applied for the Sept 11 intake. However, looking at all these posts with people already having interviews i'm now thinking that maybe i haven't got in :-(

Sorry Pooches, I haven't replied yet because i've been on holiday. I had my interview at the beginning of January. I got my application in really early so maybe I got in on the first round of interviews. I hope you hear soon. Have you applied anywhere else?
Reply 19
Hi Meg

Hope you had a good holiday :-)

I applied to Southampton, Brunel Uni and Oxford Brookes. I've already got a no from Southampton without an interview :-( :-( but so far i've not heard anything back from the others.

Thanks

Amanda

Quick Reply

Latest