The Student Room Group

Favourite Beers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Zürich

Augustiner Pils, Duvel are two genuinely good beers.

I was already expecting to go through the whole thread with no single mention of Augustiner :wink:
I swear everyone drinks Desperado's and Corona because of the bottle !?

Anyway my fave's are ...

San Miguel, Heineken or Corona (In a bottle of course because it tastes better!!).
Kronenbourg. Nom.
Peroni bottled
Bud, if I'm feeling all American for some reason.
Reply 83
Hobgoblin!

Brains, Guinness, Tomos Watkins...

I've become somewhat of a real ale snob, but a lager is still nice sometimes. I usually go for Grolsch or Budweiser.
I know... it is not real beer but:

DESPERADOS
Cold carlsberg Draught, not as great from a can. But still better than any other lager than you can regularly find in pubs, (although it's not everywhere).
I don't really drink beer, I prefer strong cider.

When I do drink beer it tends to be Kronenbourg.

As for cider, I'm currently a bit hooked to Henry Westons.
Reply 87
Duvel
Ghostship, Scarecrow, Goliath, Old Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin.
Reply 89
In terms of lagers I'll go for coors light or cobra if they've got it on tap. Seeing as not many places do I go for a Kronenberg instead. Clubs always have the problem of bumping into people and spilling your drink so a Corona usually goes down quite well.

Having said that, I tend to go for the real Ales on offer. Most of the time I'll just have a look and choose whichever has the best name or alternatively highest %. If nothing stands out I usually just go for the old Woodfordes Wherry or Old Speckled Hen.
Reply 90
I don't bother touching lager in the UK, these days. Life's too short to drink bad beer.

Breweries I look out for:

UK: Dark Star, Thornbridge, Otley
Belgium: Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle
Reply 91
Original post by meowmeowmutiny
Ghostship, Scarecrow, Goliath, Old Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin.

Iv seen a lot of mention of this hobgoblin.. and i normally see it in upmarket areas.. i swear its that lemon coloured beer that tastes like rubbish?:tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cypriots
Iv seen a lot of mention of this hobgoblin.. and i normally see it in upmarket areas.. i swear its that lemon coloured beer that tastes like rubbish?:tongue:

Uh, no?
Schneider Weisse
Leeds Best
Zywiec
Reply 94
I personally don't get why some people don't like drinking out of cans? Could you explain your reason for this :tongue:

It depends really, It's ok if it's poured in to a glass, but out of the tin I just feel it tastes a tad, well, tinny haha. Also if you're only drinking slowly, it starts to get warm reasonably quick, although they're only my opinions of course.

Bottles just seem to taste nicer, it's probably just the same really, must be a mental thing haha.

I see you put KEO, that is a nice beer, I've not been able to get it over here, I've only had it in cyprus whilst on holiday haha
Reply 95
Original post by py0alb
Foster's is pretty bad, far worse than Carling (which is bland, but at least its not sweet), but its not as bad as the commercial american swill like Bud and Coors.

Don't know Merlin's Revenge, what's it like/who makes it?

Its brewed by Naylor's up in Yorkshire. Its not a too heavy ale really, not too bitter but with a good flavour. Might have another tonight actually..

Nah Hobgoblin's alright :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 96
St Austell Tribute
St Austell Korev Cornish Lager
Wychwood Hobgoblin & Goliath
Guinness
(edited 12 years ago)
TACTICAL NUCLEAR PENGUIN, that is all.
Reply 98
Original post by meowmeowmutiny
Uh, no?

Mhmm, well then i must have it mixed up with something else then.

Original post by Leo*
It depends really, It's ok if it's poured in to a glass, but out of the tin I just feel it tastes a tad, well, tinny haha. Also if you're only drinking slowly, it starts to get warm reasonably quick, although they're only my opinions of course.

Bottles just seem to taste nicer, it's probably just the same really, must be a mental thing haha.

I see you put KEO, that is a nice beer, I've not been able to get it over here, I've only had it in cyprus whilst on holiday haha

KEO is a top beer, im greek cypriot and yeah i only get it when im in Cyprus.. its actually genuinely my favourite beer. Loool to be honest beer tastes the same to me.

- Also whoever recommended tennants is just wrong. Saw it in this thread above thought id get some tennant super brew tonight %9 alc volume and it tastes Vile. Its literally like drinking vodka.. all you can taste is the alcohol.
Reply 99
Tennent's super tastes vile because it's tramp juice , the same as Carlsberg special brew. Basically the lager equivalent of White lightning. The only purpose is to provide more alcohol for less money, usually 4.5 units a can. Certainly an acquired taste. I haven't tried it but I'm sure a standard Tennent's is a reasonable lager.

Quick Reply

Latest