The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Ive just applied for the diplomatic fast stream and because I have dyspaxia it appears that I've bypassed the online tests: is this going to have a detrimental impact on my application as a whole? Does it mean that I go straight to e-tray?

Good luck everyone else x
Reply 81
Original post by ellie_flower
Ive just applied for the diplomatic fast stream and because I have dyspaxia it appears that I've bypassed the online tests: is this going to have a detrimental impact on my application as a whole? Does it mean that I go straight to e-tray?

Good luck everyone else x

Pretty sure you just got straight to the e-tray. It shouldn't be detrimental in any way or at least that's what they say.
Reply 82
Thanks, although I suspect it had more to do with practice than any innate ability...

I did the second practice tests when I got in from work tonight and, although they only tell you how many you got right rather than which percentile you scored in relative to others, I thought "bugger it, those scores are alright" and did the real tests. I found the verbal one very difficult to get a sense of how well I've done but I'm pretty sure I did well on the numerical test. Will do the questionnaire later methinks.

Good luck to everyone...
Reply 83
Original post by fleetfox
Will do the questionnaire later methinks.

so does this mean you don't have to do all the tests in one go?

also a quick question for anyone who has done the competency questionnaire, what scales are used e.g. strongly agree/agree/neither agree or disagree/disagree/strongly disagree?

also good luck to everyone that does the tests!!!
Reply 84
I found the sample tests from Assessment Day very helpful! Will dedicate the next few days practicing!

Goodluck everyone!

and well done to those who managed to score within the top 15%. I'm only jealous :/
Original post by ellie_flower

The same has happened to me. I didn't actually ask to bypass the online tests but it seems that's been done anyway.

I actually checked on the statistics from the 2010 intake and applicants who declared a disability were statistically not disadvantaged in the process. In fact, they were slightly more successful.
Reply 86
Original post by 87sutha
so does this mean you don't have to do all the tests in one go?

You have to do the psychometric tests in one go (although you can take a short break between them) but they then give you 7 days to do the questionnaire. At least that how it seemed to me. Have done the questionnaire now and am now "awaiting results", which might not be updated until mid-October according to the message on my home screen. Ah well, I kinda knew that would be the case!
I've come to fill in the extra-curricular part of my application form and just realised that it is rather bare. I did plenty of extra-curricular stuff during school but I pretty much gave it up at uni to concentrate on my education. I am planning to do more volunteer work when I can get time off from my job, but what have other people put on that section of the form?
Reply 88
Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard
I've come to fill in the extra-curricular part of my application form and just realised that it is rather bare. I did plenty of extra-curricular stuff during school but I pretty much gave it up at uni to concentrate on my education. I am planning to do more volunteer work when I can get time off from my job, but what have other people put on that section of the form?

I thought you had to successfully complete the tests before you filled out the application? :s-smilie:
Reply 89
Original post by tekno
I thought you had to successfully complete the tests before you filled out the application? :s-smilie:

Not if you list that you have a disability, because then the online tests are skipped.
Original post by tekno

I've been granted an exemption, which is very good of them! I will still have to complete the tests but it will be on the assessment day itself.
Reply 91
Yo I'm currently applying for the economist bit, got as far as the FSAC two years ago but decided it wasn't what I wanted to do at the time so cancelled my appointment. Somewhat regretting that now but c'est la vie. Interested to hear how other economists are finding the online tests? I was fairly happy with my practice scores, just did the verbal for real and got an error message. So we'll see...

As far as advice goes for the Economic assessment centre goes, I would suggest a fairly chilled out approach, have a good read of Begg and also of Varian, and put in a good chunk of time on the topic you are set. I know for a fact my reading wasn't quite wide enough for my topic, as they mentioned it in my feedback (which you can request after). I still got through but I imagine competition is going to be extremely fierce this ear.
I think stressing out about it too much killed a couple of people I know who attended an EAC, so lots of deep breaths!
Good luck guys!
Original post by grumpynice
Yo I'm currently applying for the economist bit, got as far as the FSAC two years ago but decided it wasn't what I wanted to do at the time so cancelled my appointment. Somewhat regretting that now but c'est la vie. Interested to hear how other economists are finding the online tests? I was fairly happy with my practice scores, just did the verbal for real and got an error message. So we'll see...

As far as advice goes for the Economic assessment centre goes, I would suggest a fairly chilled out approach, have a good read of Begg and also of Varian, and put in a good chunk of time on the topic you are set. I know for a fact my reading wasn't quite wide enough for my topic, as they mentioned it in my feedback (which you can request after). I still got through but I imagine competition is going to be extremely fierce this ear.
I think stressing out about it too much killed a couple of people I know who attended an EAC, so lots of deep breaths!
Good luck guys!

When I do the practice tests I dont get any scores back?
Original post by coolh5000
I just edited in a few links to some practice tests on the first post of the thread. I found them just by googling though and haven't done them yet so I don't know how good they are. Let me know if you find anything else or think there are other useful links that would be good to have in the OP.

Thanks man!
Reply 94
I just completed the practice questions and it said I was in the top 45% for each and had a reasonable chance of passing. This is despite the fact that I felt I had done badly (I guessed quite a few of the numerical because I got fed up). I think more practice in needed as I dont think that feedback is in any way accurate. Has anyone NOT been in the top 45%??
Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard
I've been granted an exemption, which is very good of them! I will still have to complete the tests but it will be on the assessment day itself.

So does that mean I'm still going to have to sit the tests just not online? Oh dear oh dear.
Reply 96
Original post by tekno
I just completed the practice questions and it said I was in the top 45% for each and had a reasonable chance of passing. This is despite the fact that I felt I had done badly (I guessed quite a few of the numerical because I got fed up). I think more practice in needed as I dont think that feedback is in any way accurate. Has anyone NOT been in the top 45%??

I wasn't in the top 45% for the numerical test... :frown:
I'm applying for the GFS and the European programmes too. I did the real tests today and the numerical reasoning was a lot easier than I thought it would be :s anybody know how long they take to get back to us?
and I got the 'you need to buck up your ideas if you want a job with us' message after the practice numerical reasoning too...god I hate maths.
Reply 99
Original post by mimimimi
I wasn't in the top 45% for the numerical test... :frown:

*hi-five* :biggrin:

Quick Reply