The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Applicants 2012

Thread for everyone that will be considering applying to Aberystwyth for 2012 entry.

I'm hoping to go and study physics :smile: .
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying in 2012, hoping I can get in for Computer Science here tbf!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Unless you are from Wales or you're going to pursue inter-pol or one of their very niche courses, Aber isn't worth the 9k in fees.
Applying for Artificial Intelligence and Robotics here. Aber offers an amazing course compared to my other choices and for that reason (and a few others :wink:) it's going to be my firm if I get an offer. Look forward to seeing some of you there perhaps :smile:.

Original post by Erich Hartmann
Unless you are from Wales or you're going to pursue inter-pol or one of their very niche courses, Aber isn't worth the 9k in fees.

May I ask why you think this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4

Neither are many of the universities that are charging 9K. Aber is no worse than a lot of them.

If you feel comfortable and happy in Aber then it's worth the 9K, imo.
Reply 5
In all fairness, as long as you like the University, the course and lecturers then all is good for the fees. And, the fees aren't really something that's concerning me, because I know if I went anywhere else I would have to pay the fees too; just a fact really.

Anyway, is anyone here going the open day on the 15th October ? :biggrin:
Reply 6

I am a Welsh student so I won't have to pay the full 9k fees, I'd stil choose Aber even if I had to pay the full 9k because of what I've heard about it :smile:

Original post by Ryan765
In all fairness, as long as you like the University, the course and lecturers then all is good for the fees. And, the fees aren't really something that's concerning me, because I know if I went anywhere else I would have to pay the fees too; just a fact really.

Anyway, is anyone here going the open day on the 15th October ? :biggrin:

I agree with you! Yeah I'm going on the 15th! Can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 7
I can't wait too! it's going to be a little bit of a trek to get there but i'm hoping it'll be a good day!
Reply 8
I'm applying, although it's not one of my top choices. I went to their open day in June (I think), it was nice :smile:
Reply 9
I've got an unconditional offer for 2012 September entry for Business Finance
Just doing an Apprenticeship for this year seeing as I couldn't get in last year with a grade less than my offer. I was gutted at the time

But that's apparently just because it was full because of the fees increase coming for next year.
It's good to see so many of you looking early and considering to study a degree with us.

If you have any questions about the up coming Open Day, courses or would just like to discuss Aberystwyth in more detail please get in contact.

Along with all the previous Scholarships and Bursaries we offer, for entry 2012 we have introduced the Aberystwyth Bursary. We have committed a proportion of our fee income to create a bursary scheme to assist full-time undergraduate students from the United Kingdom and the European Union. Therefore, ff your residual household income is £34,090* or below you will be entitled to receive a bursary towards your living costs. This is means tested and means that there are no exam papers to sit!

Please get in touch if you need anything.
I have an unconditional offer for Aberystwyth 2012 doing History, a little gutted about the fees, but if I would have gone this year I would have gone to Freshers with no money, so I suppose it could have been worse. Just means that to reach my career goal, I shall be paying back money for a hefty amount of my life. (my dream is to get a PhD) Crazy I know, but i'm an academic over everything else.
Reply 12
Applying this year for modern and contemp history and straight history!
Reply 13

What does the rise in fees have to do with anything? People paying the 'new' fees will most likely end up paying less/the same back than those studying right now :rolleyes:
Sorry not been paying attention on this thread.

As for the reason for my earlier statement, quite simple unless you are doing a course that is one of Aber's speciality where it is indeed the top of the top of the league ones, you will find that the employability of Aber grads are generally somewhat below average.

Well unless of course you feel flipping burgers at McDs is employment :smile:

Original post by A123W
I am a Welsh student so I won't have to pay the full 9k fees, I'd stil choose Aber even if I had to pay the full 9k because of what I've heard about it :smile:

What did you hear about it then? :biggrin:

If it is the student satisfaction thing, trust me I've attended 5 British universities already, namely UCL, Birkbeck, Aber, Nottingham and most recently LSE, the satisfaction is all dependent on who you ask and for the most part I was far more satisfied with Nottingham than Aber academically, administrative service wise, all the London institutions are many times more efficient and helpful than Aber. Cost wise, I found Nottingham to be less expensive in general especially when taking into account the cost of housing.
Reply 15
I think I'm gonna apply for Computer Science, not sure what course though.... Hopefully, I can get the offer !!

Anybody know, how is the basketball team in Aber? I'm very passionate about it, Ive been year by year in bball school teams, trained it at pro club when I was younger and I hope it's decent there!
I'm hoping to study International Politics at Aber in 2012 :biggrin:
Reply 17
Hi, Im applying for History. Soo excited about going on the 15th! Even booked 2 nights in a hotel to get a feel for the place. I really think it is my first choice!
Reply 18
Original post by marie2012
Hi, Im applying for History. Soo excited about going on the 15th! Even booked 2 nights in a hotel to get a feel for the place. I really think it is my first choice!

Hey I'm applying for History too :biggrin:
Reply 19
I think this is the only Uni i'll be applying to now because I didn't get the predictions I wanted =|.
Anyone applying for BEng/Meng Software engineering?

Quick Reply

Latest