The Student Room Group

LIPA/LCM Application 2012 entry

Applying for Popular Music at LCM and Music at LIPA and was wondering if anyone else on here is and how personal statements and portfolios are going :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm also in the same situation. LIPA and LCM are my top choices for music, what do you play?

Unfortunately I'm not applying this year but I'm planning to get a portfolio of work in my gap year.
I have various websites such as Twitter and Youtube with quite a lot of subs but can't really use that in my portfolio.

Want to try and do some depping work next year and hopefully bring some of my own music written on Sib and try and get a decent demo together.

I know for LIPA you have to do something special.

Cheers!
Reply 2
I play bass, i'm currently trying tobplan out my portfolio too but it's quitr difficult to determine what would be good enough. I'm more worried about the audition stages, if i get to that stage for either. I've heard you need to record a dvd for lcm too.

Also what do you play???
No way man, yeah I play bass too.

I'm also learning Double and Piano ( beginner)
Original post by gdsend101
I play bass, i'm currently trying tobplan out my portfolio too but it's quitr difficult to determine what would be good enough. I'm more worried about the audition stages, if i get to that stage for either. I've heard you need to record a dvd for lcm too.

Also what do you play???

Also I've spoken to various people from different stages and I think it's most important to play something well rather then playing something impossible:

For example I'd rather play a more difficult piece such as a Jamiroquai track then try and attempt something ridiculous like Teen Town.

I think if you want to go LIPA you could think about bringing more work such as compositions, maybe work with any bands you're in.

Unfortunately atm I'm not in any bands due to too much time doing practice and coursework but I'm planning to take a year to get out there as much as possible.

Where else do you want to apply?

I'm looking into Berklee. ( It's crazy but reading some of what people have said, some people have played relatively easy pieces.) Of course theres still going to be amazing musicians there. )
So I might just give it a shot, if I don't get a place not the end of the world. ( Need to look into funding)

Also read this very inspirational. http://sivers.org/berklee
Reply 5
Ahhh sweet another bassist :smile: i'm applying to salford, manchester met and also huddersfield, but i'm not planning on going to the last 2, they're not good enough.

Yeah for my LIPA portfolio i was thinking of doing a piece by marcus miller and a piece by stevie wonder, with an original composition, then if i got to the audition stage play a grade 8 piece and anothrr original.

The main thing is i have only been playing bass for like 3 years and have only been doing grades for about a year and a lot of people start playing quite young. The gap year certainly seems like a good idea though, i would emulate it but i have already applied
Reply 6
Also i read that article and watched the video, absolutely amazing and correct on every level
Hi dude,

Yeah I'm not sure what I'm planning to do yet, I know some Conservatoire you sent them a video of your playing but most want an interview where you play a piece.

I'm thinking of doing a Jamiroquai track for an audition piece, I've spoken to a few LIPA bass students and some of them didn't do incredibly difficult pieces, I think playing them well is better.

Still undecided still got a year though. ( Where I'm going to practice my ass off )

Some will aquire sight reading, which is what I'll mainly be working on.

I'm still undecided between LIPA and LCM. They seem like the best places to be, failing that I'd probs apply for Goldsmiths or TMS because I want to be in London.

Who're your main influences?

I started playing when I was twelve, I wouldn't personally believe eveyrhting everyone says about when they started playing, I mean even though i've been playing for 5 years. I think it depends on what and how you're practicing.

What do you practice?

I want to try and get a more solid practice schedule.
Reply 8
My main influences are of course Flea (probably a given) Pino Paladino, Marcus MIller, Victor Wooten etc but it's only really the last year i've really gotten into the last 3. I was sort of practicing on and off for about 2 and a half years just learning songs that sounded interested )like muse and chillis etc) then when i started college i was put on the grade system and started having lessons because of music and that's where i really started to see improvement in my playing.

Yeah i've heard sight reading is pretty important and as theory isn't really my strongest point i have to work on that a lot. I went to LIPA for a workshop day and was extremely impressed with the facilities, especially the number of practice rooms and studios available, and the teaching seems really great. I also have a friend you has gone into LCM this year and says that so far it's amazing. I think they are quite similar in, i guess you could say "reputation", but i'd say it probably depends which city you prefer. I feel in love with LIPA when i went there so that's why it's my first choice.

What are your main influences??? Did the LIPA bass players say anything else useful???
Hahaha no way man! This is too weird.. you have the same influences and everything, in the same order!

PINO PALLADINO! YES! ( John Mayer Trio for the win! )
Victor and Marcus are obvious a given, I recommend Victor's groove workshop strongly! Great bass video, it makes you think of things you wouldn't of thought of.

Flea was my original inspiration but after a while, i've moved onto different influences.
What are you doing at the moment, education wise?

Yeah sorry when I mean 'reputation' I mean the amount of people are generally gifted musicians or decent standard. ( I'm not saying the others aren't but I hear a lot about some of the other schools letting anyone in.)

I've spoken to a few people, a 3rd year at LIPA ( I think could be 2nd) and a 1st year just started.

The 3rd year is an amazing bassist and a fantastic guy, really helpful and the 1st year said he's really enjoying the course and you do a lot of theory which is the building blocks for everything.

I'm going to keep updated on whats going on at the course.
Reply 10
At the moment i'm studying Music, Music tech and Biology so i have experience in studios etc. Bass wise at the moment i'm trying to improve technically, like i can play much faster now but also working on accuracy and modes and scales and pretty much all the stuff that makes a good bassist good. Also been rescently introduced to the possibility of tapping after looking at some bassists online and playing a grade 8 piece so that's pretty much it. How about you???

And it sounds like LIPA is certainly one of the places to go, though it does sound tough, although obviously you wouldn't go unless you wanted to put the work in
Is the great 8 piece samba samba?

Yeah I think sometimes it's good to thing about what skills you will use and which ones are going to be less helpful.

For example reading is one of the most important things but I think it's good to look at it in three ways;

Reading, technique & ear training & improvisation.

For example tapping is great but would you use it much in a live situation?

Yeah I'm doing an Extended Diploma in Music atm. So I get to play a lot of the time but I've also got loads of courseowork modules but it's great because some of it i'll use which I have an interview.

But they don't interview everyone, so hopefully I'll get picked. Fingers crossed.

But yeah I really like the look of LCM as well.
I haven't been to any yet though.
Reply 12
Yeah it was Sampa Samba, which i'm also planning on playing as the grade 8 piece at auditions (if i get them!) I definately agree with the techniques thing though, i'm currently in a band and as of yet have never used tapping but watching a lot of bassists i've found on youtube like Andy C Saxton who's sort of like a Marcus MIller type with a solo bass album and incorporates a lot of slapping in his stuff but especially tapping. Also have you heard Run For Cover by Marcus Miller??? Planning on that being another audition piece if i can nail a solo, although finding a good backing track for it is an absolute nightmare.

An extended diploma is probably what i would have gone for but my parents wanted me to be a doctor so i had to take biology and chemistry in my first year to make them happy, think they know i want to do music by now :smile: are you in a band???
Awesome man, link me to your band.

I'm not at the moment, unfortunately. :/

I'm looking but really difficult because I can't drive and live in a really remote location hahah! It sucks but once I finish my diploma. I'm going to try and get out there as much as possible.. hence why I'm taking a year out.

Ah fair enough man.. haha still great A levels for a back up.

Does it have to be too a backing track?

I have so much bassing to do hahah!
Reply 14
Here's a link to a demo of ours, sounds a little rubbish now cause we recorded it a few months ago when me and my friend that were mixing didn't really know much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuhE1qJ_ns&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I would definately recommend joing a band though, it really helps improve your playing and it's fun as hell :smile: if you can't find any people near you there's this really good site called join my band which has a bunch of people asking other people if they want to be in a band
Original post by gdsend101
Here's a link to a demo of ours, sounds a little rubbish now cause we recorded it a few months ago when me and my friend that were mixing didn't really know much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nuhE1qJ_ns&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I would definately recommend joing a band though, it really helps improve your playing and it's fun as hell :smile: if you can't find any people near you there's this really good site called join my band which has a bunch of people asking other people if they want to be in a band

Yeah I'm already on it man, JMB but haha yeah just so difficult but swing bands and pit reading gigs are alright for now.
I'll check out your stuff dude.
Sounds good man, where are you from?
What bass are you using?
Reply 17
i'm from manchester and use a 5 string Peavey Millenium BXP, how about you
I'm from Devon quite a long way from Manchester at least you're quite near to LIPA.

I have a Fender Aerodyne P Bass & a Classic MusicMan Stingray.

The fender i've had for a while and the stingray i've had for 8 months.
Reply 19
Got an offer from Huddersfield, Salford and LIPA :smile: Not heard back from LCM or Man Met. Going to play Master Blaster and Look Around (RHCP) for my LIPA portfolio plus an original

Quick Reply

Latest