The Student Room Group

Easiest & valued AS Level to study along side 3 A2s?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Personally I think you shouldn't just give up so easily and saying "I'm going to fail the AS-Level" If you put in your all, you can probably scape through with a decent grade.

And about your question, it depends entirely upon your strengths and weaknesses, for example I find economics fairly easy because I'm interested in current events and good at writing essays yet I have friends who found it extremely difficult.
Reply 21
Original post by Andicate
Ooooh what does it involve?

Have a look at the syllabus, that will give you some Andication of what it involves :tongue:
Reply 22
I'd recommend Psychology too :tongue:
I do both Economics & Psychology and Psych is way easier than Economics, although there is slightly more content.
Reply 23
Original post by funsongfactory
I take both philosophy and politics and love them both. If you want something with minimal work then definitely take philosophy, I think we got maybe five pieces of homework in the whole of year 12 :P

Really? But I've heard it's REALLY hard. (well, via grades today) apparently, the grade boundaries are very high!
Really? But I've heard it's REALLY hard. (well, via grades today) apparently, the grade boundaries are very high!

Hard?! Philosohpy?! About half the people in my school who do it get A/A*, and I don't think anyone's ever failed it! I don't know if the grade boundaries are high but it's so straight forward that it doesn't really matter if they are!
Reply 25
Hard?! Philosohpy?! About half the people in my school who do it get A/A*, and I don't think anyone's ever failed it! I don't know if the grade boundaries are high but it's so straight forward that it doesn't really matter if they are!

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell! -.-! The person who got 100% in my Law exam got a C in Philosophy. Just look at this thread :redface:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1102452

Mind me asking your exam board for Philosophy? Let's hope it's the same exam board in my college!
Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell! -.-! The person who got 100% in my Law exam got a C in Philosophy. Just look at this thread :redface:

Mind me asking your exam board for Philosophy? Let's hope it's the same exam board in my college!

No I'm not being sarcastic, Philosophy is sweet! :smile:
Not being harsh but Law A-Level is known as a soft option, so maybe it's even easier than Philosophy!
Edexcel I think :smile:

Just read that link, I do have fantastic teachers which probably helps, is that your thread that you linked or someone elses?
History!
Reply 29
Just read that link, I do have fantastic teachers which probably helps, is that your thread that you linked or someone elses?

Hmm... I'll definately consider Philosophy then! I'll ask for the pass rate at my college! But Law is pretty hard -.- there's so much to remember! Although I did get an A even though I missed a question... :tongue: *brag*

And no, that's not my thread! I was researching Philosophy A Level and stumbled upon that thread :smile: there are people on there that said stuff like "hard, but doable" :/!
Reply 30
Original post by Romanorum-Hellas
History!

Oooh many friends suggested that. But... I just looked at the specification... BORING! British History, Russian Revolution blah blah... -.-
history! Would definitely help with the Law application
Basically, I know I'm gonna fail my fourth AS so by the end of the year, I'll have to drop it.

But failing that AS would probably cost me a lot so I'm thinking of taking another really enoyable, easy but also valued AS in my second year?

I want to study Law at uni but I don't really want to go into the legal industry... Law degree sounds more interesting than English (I want to go into the publishing industry - but that's dying so it'll be risky to take a degree based on that career only)

I am not really expecting to get into a top uni like Oxbridge. Something like Queen Mary maybe.

Sooo easiest & valued AS? Anyone?

I know they are all hard but the easiest out of them, or anything that'll get me into a reasonably good uni.

or is a 4th AS worth it?

Nothing involving Maths please!

Edit: The subjects I'll be continuing on to A2 are Eng Lang, Law and Psychology. So I like essay based subjects!

You don't necessarily need to pick up an AS if you feel like your going to do bad. A lot of people apply with an AS below what they expect but as long as the courses you wish to take on to A2 match their requirements you should be fine. My friend applied to UEA to do english and had a U in chemistry but as she dropped it they wasn't to fussed. Id recommend picking up the EPQ if you want to strengthen your profile
Reply 33
Yes, like the previous post, I'd say Extended Project:
You get to choose whichever question interests you; the course is completed by March so it doesn't interfer with exam preperation and finally, it shows universities you have other skills such as research skills and independance - that will be vital at uni.
Good luck, whatever you choose :smile:
DH
Reply 34
Original post by DH3498
Yes, like the previous post, I'd say Extended Project:
You get to choose whichever question interests you; the course is completed by March so it doesn't interfer with exam preperation and finally, it shows universities you have other skills such as research skills and independance - that will be vital at uni.
Good luck, whatever you choose :smile:
DH

Original post by alexorton
You don't necessarily need to pick up an AS if you feel like your going to do bad. A lot of people apply with an AS below what they expect but as long as the courses you wish to take on to A2 match their requirements you should be fine. My friend applied to UEA to do english and had a U in chemistry but as she dropped it they wasn't to fussed. Id recommend picking up the EPQ if you want to strengthen your profile

Ah thanks guys! I had & have no idea what an EPQ is! I think I'll book an appointment with the Conexxions Careers Advisor and discuss these options!
Reply 35
How about Classical Civilisation?

I take the AS alongside 4 others and this January, I didn't even revise for it and got 98/100 UMS. :smile:

I don't feel you need to revise for it because you just sort of learn it as you go, and the stories are very interesting. It does help that I have a brilliant teacher though who keeps me organised. :P
Original post by lozzielilo
I would say psychology. It's interesting, not too hard if you keep up with the work, and you can apply its use as a subject to every job that you do :smile:

Tell that to the 70% of my year that got US! And my school is in the top banding.

I got a B though hehe which was the highest mark in the year suprisingly.
I noticed your doing English Language, so English Literature maybe?

Just stumbled across this thread, and I'm only doing GCSEs, but English Lit is fairly well respected and its by far my best/most enjoyable subject at GCSE - I'm definitely doing it at A-Level.
Reply 38
I'm doing AS Psychology, its hard Work in lesson, lots and lots of note taking and lots of research studies to learn about but i got a C in the first unit so im pretty chuffed. only major problem with the subject is u learn sooooo much content in the modules and only half of the stuff comes up lol. so if ur particulary strong in one area of psychology it might not even come up lol(luckily the bits i understood came up in the exam :d) so ye theres sooo much content to revise and i found it hard to remember all the studies so u just gotta cross ur fingers if ur like me and hope the stuff u remember comes up lol.
Reply 39
Original post by Hamburglar
How about Classical Civilisation?

I take the AS alongside 4 others and this January, I didn't even revise for it and got 98/100 UMS. :smile:

I don't feel you need to revise for it because you just sort of learn it as you go, and the stories are very interesting. It does help that I have a brilliant teacher though who keeps me organised. :P

That seems like a tempting option. But I don't know if it's really valued... :/

Quick Reply