The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
In other news... It is So difficult to write a polite and thankful note to somebody who A) Has a very negative opinion of you and B) Who you have a fairly low opinion of yourself. I wish I was less of a wimp and able to face going there in person to return this damn book.
Reply 61
Original post by RDavies93
You didn't bore me :smile: Maybe confuse a little... I still would like to Try and take an interest, so maybe little bits like this will ease me into it. Here's hoping!

What bit confused you and I'll try my best to explain it as simply as possible :holmes:

Original post by nosceteipsummm
RDavies, alright! I'll get the teleporter ready.

And Deyesy..../whoosh. That's the sound of that going over my head.

:lol:

19 and I'm looking forward to budget being announced next week. SAD :colondollar:
Reply 62
In other news... It is So difficult to write a polite and thankful note to somebody who A) Has a very negative opinion of you and B) Who you have a fairly low opinion of yourself. I wish I was less of a wimp and able to face going there in person to return this damn book.

Just lie through your teeth and write a generic thank you letter?
Reply 63
Original post by Deyesy
What bit confused you and I'll try my best to explain it as simply as possible :holmes:

19 and I'm looking forward to budget being announced next week. SAD :colondollar:

I apoligise for being ignorant/clueless, it was the " live in a constituency that's a marginal seat" I have absolutely no idea what that means. :colondollar:

Btw, It's not sad. :smile:
Original post by Deyesy

I wish I could take the same interest in American issues....unfortunately, our economy has been in the toilet (moreso than most) for the past...who-knows-how-many years.
Reply 65
Original post by Deyesy
Just lie through your teeth and write a generic thank you letter?

I really hate lying. On one level, I am actually extraordinarily grateful since she made the effort to visit me in hospital, and the book she lent me was very interesting and managed to make a week and half of my stay a little bit more bearable. On another level, I'm still very pissed off about the way I was treated prior to this, among other things. So I figure if I write the first bit, at least I Know myself it is honest, and can feel a little better about myself for this. But I still feel two-faced due to the second way I feel. It sounds stupid, I am aware of this.
Reply 66
I apoligise for being ignorant/clueless, it was the " live in a constituency that's a marginal seat" I have absolutely no idea what that means. :colondollar:

Btw, It's not sad. :smile:

Put as simply as possible; Urban area's = Safe Labour seats...So Liverpool, Manchester, parts of London etc. Countryside in general = Safe Conservative seats.

In Britain we have the 'First past the post' electoral system, so 'safe' seats aren't fought for by the opposition party; so the Conversatives won't waste their time campaigning in parts of Liverpool as they know Labour will be voted in. Marginal seats have much smaller majorities than safe seats and so more resources are put in by parties to win the seat and so your vote is 'worth more' in a marginal seat than a safe seat because your vote could actually decide which party gains control of your constituency?

Probably complicated things even more :facepalm:
Reply 67
Bloody hell. 40 pages in the last thread, and now onto the 4th in this one...this not having a working laptop malarkey is really dinting my internet time :p:

How are we all?
Reply 68
Original post by nosceteipsummm
I wish I could take the same interest in American issues....unfortunately, our economy has been in the toilet (moreso than most) for the past...who-knows-how-many years.

Your economy is actually improving :tongue:

I really hate lying. On one level, I am actually extraordinarily grateful since she made the effort to visit me in hospital, and the book she lent me was very interesting and managed to make a week and half of my stay a little bit more bearable. On another level, I'm still very pissed off about the way I was treated prior to this, among other things. So I figure if I write the first bit, at least I Know myself it is honest, and can feel a little better about myself for this. But I still feel two-faced due to the second way I feel. It sounds stupid, I am aware of this.

Well you're thankful for bringing it in while you were in hospital so just write about that? :h:

Original post by georgia
Bloody hell. 40 pages in the last thread, and now onto the 4th in this one...this not having a working laptop malarkey is really dinting my internet time :p:

How are we all?

Me, Rachel and morris have too much spare time on our hands :tongue:

Not bad thank you :h: Your lovely self?
Reply 69
Original post by Deyesy
Put as simply as possible; Urban area's = Safe Labour seats...So Liverpool, Manchester, parts of London etc. Countryside in general = Safe Conservative seats.

In Britain we have the 'First past the post' electoral system, so 'safe' seats aren't fought for by the opposition party; so the Conversatives won't waste their time campaigning in parts of Liverpool as they know Labour will be voted in. Marginal seats have much smaller majorities than safe seats and so more resources are put in by parties to win the seat and so your vote is 'worth more' in a marginal seat than a safe seat because your vote could actually decide which party gains control of your constituency?

Probably complicated things even more :facepalm:

No no, that actually makes a little more sense. (though I did re-read it 3 times to ensure that I was deluding myself with the idea that I get it. Thakyou for explaining that for me :smile: (This is genuine thanks, I'm not just being polite!)
I'm wonderful and single

Can I join? :tongue:
Reply 71
No no, that actually makes a little more sense. (though I did re-read it 3 times to ensure that I was deluding myself with the idea that I get it. Thakyou for explaining that for me :smile: (This is genuine thanks, I'm not just being polite!)

I won't bore you any longer :tongue: But that's pretty much how our unfair political system works in simple terms :facepalm:
Reply 72
Original post by georgia

How are we all?

We really do have too much free time :colondollar: I am good! How are you :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by LifeIsGood
I'm wonderful and single

Welccommee :tongue: Post away :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Deyesy

I'm...okay! Lots of awkward boy moments yesterday, but I'm beginning to realise that is just normal in my life so should accept it :p:

But I've been getting into my degree work lately and actually feel happy with one of the essays I need to write...content-wise, anyway. It still needs organising into a structure and an overall argument forming, but it's getting there. Ish.

And the other Italian one I know I'm on the right lines with the films I chose to write about for the theme so that's a good start.

Politics ones I am ****ting myself......but I have an extra week on top of the other ones to write them so am trying not to worry too much.
Reply 75
We really do have too much free time :colondollar: I am good! How are you :smile:

I wish I had more free time! Enjoy it while it lasts. You'll get old and it'll run out :wink:

I'm good - just lots of work as outlined in my post to Deysey!
Reply 76
Original post by georgia
I'm...okay! Lots of awkward boy moments yesterday, but I'm beginning to realise that is just normal in my life so should accept it :p:

But I've been getting into my degree work lately and actually feel happy with one of the essays I need to write...content-wise, anyway. It still needs organising into a structure and an overall argument forming, but it's getting there. Ish.

And the other Italian one I know I'm on the right lines with the films I chose to write about for the theme so that's a good start.

Politics ones I am ****ting myself......but I have an extra week on top of the other ones to write them so am trying not to worry too much.

We all have those moments on a regular basis :tongue:

This all sounds positive! I always used to get the content right first, then re-organise the essay at the end during A level english... Seemed an efficient method :smile: Yeah best not to worry about it! :smile: It'll be finee
Reply 77
Original post by Deyesy

Well you're thankful for bringing it in while you were in hospital so just write about that? :h:

You don't think it's a little two-faced? :/

We really do... Though I'm not sure it's free time, more time that should be spent sleeping. :tongue:
Reply 78
We all have those moments on a regular basis :tongue:

This all sounds positive! I always used to get the content right first, then re-organise the essay at the end during A level english... Seemed an efficient method :smile: Yeah best not to worry about it! :smile: It'll be finee

Hah yeah, though IRL I seem to have many more than most people I know!

All about the research, then the writing, then the editing. FUN!
Reply 79
Original post by LifeIsGood
I'm wonderful and single

Welcome :hat2:

Original post by georgia

Doesn't sound like it's going to go away soon so accepting it's normal may help you deal with it :yes:

Good job having a laptop that doesn't work then with how much work you seem to have :tongue: Well the overall content will pretty much form your argument? So that shouldn't be that hard? :smile:

Sounds like you've got it kind of planned out :tongue: So you should be fine :h:

Latest