The Student Room Group

Dropping Physics as 4th A level, upper sixth

Hey

I'm currently studying 4 A levels French Economics Politics and Physics.

I'm on target to get AAB (which I need for my firm university choice, Sussex for Economics BSC at AAB) from French,Economics and Politics respectively yet I'm also doing Physics but at A2 in particualr is rather hard, so I'd like to spend more time on my main subjects... So as my offer is for 3 A levels (see below) would there be any issues if I didn't complete my A2 Physics and just "cash in" my AS Physics grade?

By the way my Physics is OCR B advancing Physics.

From UCAS Track:

This offer is subject to you obtaining

GCE A level
Grades AAB including
Economics

Your reply
Firm
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Peter91
You have to contact your universities (firm and insurance) to ask if they're cool with it. They can rescind their offer if they find out you haven't done the exams you said you were going to, even if they're not part of your offer (though that's not to say that they would, it's unlikely). My friend had a similar situation with further maths and emailed Leeds and Sheffield to ask, and they were both fine with him doing so.

Thanks for the help, just out of curiosity how long ago was your friend in a similar situation.

I'm going to email both my firm and insurance to check... I really hope I don't have to sit it...
Original post by itrader
Thanks for the help, just out of curiosity how long ago was your friend in a similar situation.

I'm going to email both my firm and insurance to check... I really hope I don't have to sit it...

Even if they say that you have to sit the exam it doesn't actually matter what you end up getting. You can get an E overall and still meet your offer, or even get a U overall in physics and that would be okay too. Obviously it would make sense to try and do as well as you can but as long as you come out with AAB overall then you will meet your offer and be accepted, what you get in the 4th A level is irrelevant.

At this stage of the game I would advise you to continue with the subject and sit the final exams. You've already been entered for them and your school might make you pay if you don't. If you do not sit the final exams then all you will have is an AS in physics so all of your hard work this academic year (and any A2 modules in January) will be pointless as no one will ever know about it. To me, at this stage it would make more sense to sit the exam then you will get the overall A level qualification. This might be useful in the future as graduate employers use the UCAS tariff to rank graduate applicants in addition to the degree. Whatever grade you had at A2 physics would put you in a stronger position than only having AS level.

Quick Reply

Latest