The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You're either showing off or are overly insecure and in the process, you look like a moron, sorry for being blunt.
Reply 21
if i went to america, i wouldn't study engineering, just decide while i'm there
I have a friend who was in your position last year. He had a maths offer from Cambridge and a Harvard College offer. He went for Harvard because he liked the international aspect of it and also he liked the flexibility of the course. Everyone always saw him as the maths guy, but he was interested in politics and philosophy as well and Harvard lets him explore those subjects, though obviously his maths training is less in depth.

That's quite a big consideration (besides the massive decision of living abroad) - do you think you'd enjoy studying engineering to a great depth from the very start? (If so, Cambridge would cater to this better I think) Or do you think you'd like to explore other routes?

Also, it's cheaper for him to study at Harvard because they pay for everything and this is despite the fact that had he gone to Cambridge he would have paid the lower fees of £3000 (though this money is on the condition that he works part time for the university in some capacity)
Reply 23
Original post by GetCaught
I've got a cambridge engineering offer and a harvard college offer and understandably have no idea which to pick.

Where should i go and why? Any help would be much appreciated.

You know damn good and well that you didn't get into either. Anyways, Harvard is the clear choice. You can take courses at MIT----the best engineering uni in the world. It's an 8 minute walk from Harvard.
Reply 24
In regards to Engineering at Cambridge, you may find this thread interesting, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1958699

Quite a large post, however it's an interesting view of the department from a student's view point.
Reply 25
Original post by warlock
You're either showing off or are overly insecure and in the process, you look like a moron, sorry for being blunt.

Well not really, anyone who can get into Harvard isn't that much of a moron.
Reply 26
if i went to america, i wouldn't study engineering, just decide while i'm there

why not?
Also, post this question on college confidential.
Reply 27
Original post by iSMark
Well not really, anyone who can get into Harvard isn't that much of a moron.

Well that's questionable. Judging from his/her insecurities, s/he certainly looks like one, to me at least.
Original post by Sharri5
why not?
Also, post this question on college confidential.

In America you don't get in to uni for a specific subject. You just get in and then you major in a subject once you have worked out where your interest lies.
Reply 29
Original post by warlock
Well that's questionable. Judging from his/her insecurities, s/he certainly looks like one, to me at least.

What insecurities? Also if you regard my profile it's she.
Reply 30

What insecurities?

Are you kidding me?

Asking the random TSR folk to tell you which university to "pick"?

Oh, the irony ...
Reply 31
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
In America you don't get in to uni for a specific subject. You just get in and then you major in a subject once you have worked out where your interest lies.

I'm American so i know how it works. I was questioning it because she said she wouldn't do engineering--- like the decision had already been made.
Reply 32
Original post by NaaderBajwa
Where do you want to live later on?

Regardless, you'll be going to a place called Cambridge :biggrin:

I like this view.

But OP go to Cambridge, as the city is awesome!

<3 x
Reply 33
wow you must have worked hard which I commend you on :smile:
if like me your a typical girl the thing I would do is a pro/con list, and this may sound crazy but factor in minor things like the weather, food costs, likely hood of getting a part time job, food bill, travel expenses ( you may travel home during the holidays) every possible minor difference... write it down.
Good luck on whatever your choice will be
Original post by star10159
Shut up Troll. :troll:

Agreed.
Reply 35
HARVARD!! Yes it is true that the UK education is regarded as better than the US's, HOWEVER think of the life experience you will gain from studying abroad! Most employers look for this as much as they do grades and stuff, at Harvard you get the best of both worlds! Well done and good luck!
We've been duped. Look at the date. Sure it was an hour or so early but I think we can where the intentions lay.
Reply 38
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Neither. Go for London South Bank it's better

this is good advice.

Latest