The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I applied for Medicine last year with AAA predicted grades, I had three interview and one immediate rejection, I didn't get any offers. I also didn't get my grades due to illness and a family upheaval. I applied this year and still no offers. If I apply again, do I stand a chance?

My current grades are;
AS Biology: B
AS Chemistry: B
AS Physics: A
A-level Photography: A

I'm on track for an A* in Physics as I got 90% in the EWP's exam, so if I repeat this for the A2 exams and manage to retake my A2 practical, this is a possibility. I also think I could get an A in Chemistry (I have personal tutors helping me though)
This year I could end up with A*AAB (Physics, Photography, Chemistry, Biology).
Though I think a B in Biology is likely to be a hinderance.

As for work experience, obivosuly I will need some more up to date work. I spent a month volunteering in Ghana in a local hospital and treating children in local schools and orphanages. I spent two weeks in a hospital near my old home. I also spent a year volunteering with a charity, that was set up to help adult-learners achieve GCSE's in Mathematics and English. (I spent a couple hours a week helping with teach maths).

I'm a little torn, this is what I want, but even if I get the grades I've mentioned, do I actually stand a chance. Should I just give up?
Reply 7641
Interview technique is the problem.
Reply 7642
The B in Biology might be a problem, but if you do indeed pull off the grades you hope to get and apply to less competetive courses you do have a standing chance.

You must be wary of the fact that getting in does NOT mean finishing the course! Birmingham (a Russel group Uni) actually has a 20% drop out rate for medics! (apparently)

On another note, dentistry is (I think) easier to get in for and I would guess easier to complete also ends up paying quite high at the end of the day.
Hang on, if you applied last year, and have current as grades, are you repeating the whole two years of A-levels? or just repeating A2?
Secondly, where were your interviews from? well done, you still have a chance, its probably smaller than it was before, but if you managed 3 interviews last time, thats awesome so theres still hope
Reply 7644
Original post by saey
On another note, dentistry is (I think) easier to get in for and I would guess easier to complete also ends up paying quite high at the end of the day.

:facepalm:
Reply 7645
A level photography? Wtf? Imperial, UCL, Oxbridge and King's will laugh at that shizz.
Original post by Picture~Perfect

My current grades are;
AS Biology: B
AS Chemistry: B
AS Physics: A
A-level Photography: A

Your signature has AS maths in it too...?

Are you repeating a year? If so your chances are greatly reduced and you'll need to choose your medical schools very carefully. I would email the schools you are interested in before you apply to see if they will consider your application.
Original post by saey
The B in Biology might be a problem, but if you do indeed pull off the grades you hope to get and apply to less competetive courses you do have a standing chance.

You must be wary of the fact that getting in does NOT mean finishing the course! Birmingham (a Russel group Uni) actually has a 20% drop out rate for medics! (apparently)

There aren't really any less competitive courses for medicine, there are just schools who's selection criteria are more suitable for certain applicants. If you were to look at applicant to place ratios then Oxbridge would be amongst the easiest to get into.

Birmingham medicine does not have a 20% 'drop-out' rate. If 20% of medics don't eventually graduate then the majority of these will be due to exam failures (mostly pre-clinical).

Dentistry isn't easier to get into or any easier to complete, but you are correct on one point: the wages are high.
Reply 7648
Hello,
I am an 18 year old A-level student; I am currently seriously interested in pursuing a career in medicine although I am starting to feel that this is an unattainable goal. I would just like some inspiration and guidance about what options there are for me.

I have always been interested in science and performed well academically in biology chemistry and physics at GCSE level but It wasn’t until I suffered from a period of ill health that I become particularly interested in medicine. Neither of my parents or grandparents had been to university and I didn’t have any members of my family in the field of medicine, so I decided to seek career advice from my comprehensive school; They simply told me how challenging the application would be and to realistically think through my options, after this I found it hard to stay inspired. I began to feel that my hopes of one day becoming a doctor was irrational and that medicine was a goal reserved for students from a more privileged background. Once I left school I took up a job and spent a year working as a sales adviser, after working for some time I decided that I should go back to education and study my A-levels at my local community college. I am currently studying A-level Law, human biology and Psychology. Studying A-level human biology began to cement my decision to try and pursue a career in medicine; as I have particularly enjoyed exploring the different ways in which our bodies fight infectious disease and learning how the human body produces specific immune responses. I know that I would like the chance to implement my biological interests and abilities into real life situations.
I managed to secure myself a scholarship at Liverpool University to study human anatomy, and I am currently part of the realising opportunities scholarship which can be applied to 12 research intensive universities. Although I am not studying A level chemistry and only have my GCSE grades in maths an English at a C and a D. although at A-level I am predicted the grades AAB.

To further my insight into the medical profession I participated in a work experience placement in the Royal Liverpool university hospital throughout the summer. I gained a valuable understanding of the workings of the hospital. During the placement I shadowed consultants throughout ward rounds, spent time in the AMAU, and also had the opportunity to join a surgeon and observe several ocular operations, I witnessed first-hand the many challenges facing not only healthcare professionals but also patients; this involvement highlighted the essential nature of teamwork in all aspects of medicine. I also spent some time on a ward where I became familiar with some of the patients; I was encouraged to talk to patients where appropriate this helped me learn the importance of the role of empathy and good communication with both patients and other members of staff. I feel that this volunteering has been invaluable in the development of my communication skills and my ability to work as part of a team.
I will be 19 when I finish my A-levels and I am contemplating re-sitting my GCSE maths and English next year. So I will be 20 once that has been done, I don’t know what options there is for me. I just know that I don’t want to make the wrong decision and I feel pressured to take my scholarship and study human anatomy this year but I feel that I will be selling myself short and that It’s not truly what I want.

any advice is welcome :smile:
Post is too long, we don't care about your drive to study medicine. Yes, aunt died from cancer when you were 5 and that motivated you to pursue medicine :rolleyes:. Tell us, concisely:

GCSE grades
A-levels grades
work experience

These are the things people need to know or else we can't judge.
Reply 7650
I just wanted to give a thorough idea of my background in case that would help in any way.

GCSE’s
English Language C
English Literature C
ICT A*
Business Studies B
Core Science A
Physics B
Chemistry B
Biology A
Additional Science A
Drama B
Sociology C
Religious Studies A
Mathematics D

Currently sitting my A-levels
Human Biology A (predicted)
Law B (predicted)
Psychology A (predicted)

I have completed a 2 week 9-5 work experience placement in a hospital, I also volunteer at my local children’s youth charity regularly and take part in a multitude of fund raising activities. I have also recently contacted my GP to see if there is any chance I could do some work experience but have yet to gained a response.
Reply 7651
I'm sorry but the chances are very bleak. With a C and D in English and Maths you pretty much wont meet the gcse requirments for any medical school. You can resit them though. Also without a level chemistry you can only apply to a select few schools which offer foundation courses which are more competitive too. You would need to get a minimum of AAA as this the minimum for medical schools now. I know this post sounds really negative and I understand that you have gone through all the lengths to show your commitment. However all the things you have done won't even be looked at unless you pass the academic stage of the application process :frown:
I suggest you resit those English GCSE's and some others so you get a few A's at least. Then do Chem and Bio A levels at grades A. Then apply.
Reply 7653
I would first just like to thank you for your fast responses.
I’m aware that I have the wrong combinations of subjects at A-level and that I wouldn’t be eligible to apply for a 5 year programme, although I’m also aware that there are access courses and foundation years for people that have taken humanities subjects. I was just wondering what would be the best option for me if there even would be an option.
I am planning on re-sitting my GCSE in maths and English this September after I have completed my current A-levels however I will be 20 years old during that time and If I was then going to take up chemistry at A-level it would mean me being 22 before being eligible to apply. most universities expect all of you’re A-levels to be taken in a two year period so I don’t know if this would just be a waste of time?
I don't think it's very realistic with those GCSEs unfortunately. Your a-level choices and grades will also add insult to injury. It's one hell of a slog but it might be worth considering graduate entry as I can't imagine resits will do much good.
Reply 7655
Original post by abbiejh
I would first just like to thank you for your fast responses.
I’m aware that I have the wrong combinations of subjects at A-level and that I wouldn’t be eligible to apply for a 5 year programme, although I’m also aware that there are access courses and foundation years for people that have taken humanities subjects. I was just wondering what would be the best option for me if there even would be an option.
I am planning on re-sitting my GCSE in maths and English this September after I have completed my current A-levels however I will be 20 years old during that time and If I was then going to take up chemistry at A-level it would mean me being 22 before being eligible to apply. most universities expect all of you’re A-levels to be taken in a two year period so I don’t know if this would just be a waste of time?

Access courses are specifically for those who haven't done any A levels. The foundation courses have the same high academic requirements as the five year courses and the fact that you have biology will restrict you from applying to those foundation courses which want no sciences at A level. I applied to foundation courses last year because I had no chemistry got no offers so now I'm doing an A level in chemistry in one year so it's doable. Also some of those foundation courses will require a fourth subject at AS.
Reply 7656
Sorry OP, did you say that you've been offered a place to study an Anatomy degree at Liverpool?

Ignore person that said you haven't got another 3 years to waste, there are going to be many application cycles for years to come, you're not missing out by waiting a while to get your application top-notch if medicine is what you really want. People go into med at any age. Plus extra time = extra accumulation of work exp/ volunteering/ extra-curricular/ relevant employment.

If I didn't misread your post about anatomy at Liverpool then I suppose doing a degree and going for GEM could be an idea? Bearing in mind some GEM uni's look at your school grades, would definitely be worthwhile re-sitting GCSE English and Maths either way. Or look into access courses or places that offer med entry following a science foundation year? (I know nothing of these so be worthwhile you researching your options).
Reply 7657
On the Liverpool university website it says that students that complete the human anatomy course would be fully equipped to compete for graduate entry to medicine and dentistry and I currently have a scholarship to study human anatomy this September but I don’t know much about graduate entry to medicine. I asked an advisor in college and she explained that graduate entry is highly competitive and it is usually self-funded. I come from a low income background and I don’t know if I could cope financially if there wasn’t any funding available. I just don’t want to make a decision I’m going to regret and really don’t know what to do.
I would be willing to take chemistry along side my GCSE's if that would be best, I just didn't want to limit myself because then I couldn't apply for any foundation courses, I wasn't too sure if the university would accept me doing chemistry as it is outside of my two years?
thanks once again x
Reply 7658
Original post by omlette
Sorry OP, did you say that you've been offered a place to study an Anatomy degree at Liverpool?

Ignore person that said you haven't got another 3 years to waste, there are going to be many application cycles for years to come, you're not missing out by waiting a while to get your application top-notch if medicine is what you really want. People go into med at any age. Plus extra time = extra accumulation of work exp/ volunteering/ extra-curricular/ relevant employment.

If I didn't misread your post about anatomy at Liverpool then I suppose doing a degree and going for GEM could be an idea? Bearing in mind some GEM uni's look at your school grades, would definitely be worthwhile re-sitting GCSE English and Maths either way. Or look into access courses or places that offer med entry following a science foundation year? (I know nothing of these so be worthwhile you researching your options).

hello, yes I have a place to study anatomy in September I also have been offered a place at Liverpool to study physiology but I have kept that as my insurance. I just don't want to make a choice I could end up regretting for potentially the rest of my life. I have had a look on the internet and have found several pre-med courses that do accept the wrong mix of a-levels with one subject so I was hoping to apply for these once I have my Maths and English high enough. x
Reply 7659
Original post by myyrh
Access courses are specifically for those who haven't done any A levels.

Not 100% true, some of them just have lower entry requirements. I think UEA is BBB? Not sure.

Latest

Trending

Trending