The Student Room Group

Economics at Cambridge. Would I Get in??

Hi, quick question to all. Throughout my GCSE'S I was literally the naughtiest kid in the year, never revised was predicted all a*'s but of course didn't get them. I got 3a's 6b's and 2c's. Since then I have done my as levels and put my head in the game as I was also one of the most intelligent kids. I did my Jan exams and got A 95%C1, unit1 chem 92%, and economics unit1 94%. This is all a's i'm sure I will get a's in the may exams. If I was to work hard with a really decent personal statement and A economics A/A* (next year in maths), A Chemistry and A (a/s level further maths) Would I have a chance to get in to Cambridge? Could I go there and tell them what I was like in my GCSEs or has that literally ruined alll my chances? Thanks all, really appreciate it!!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

A friend of mine has mediocre GCSEs, a couple of A's, no A*s, and he has an offer from Cambridge. So sure.
"really decent personal statement"

No.
Reply 3
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
A friend of mine has mediocre GCSEs, a couple of A's, no A*s, and he has an offer from Cambridge. So sure.

Thanks, gives me a bit of hope and confidence. Was just a query, anyway, but that makes me happy! God bless x
Reply 4
A level Az, what is wrong with you? You sign up to this website to get so much negative feedback and to make people feel bad. Congratulations, you must be so happy with your life! Haaa
Original post by alex7892
A level Az, what is wrong with you? You sign up to this website to get so much negative feedback and to make people feel bad. Congratulations, you must be so happy with your life! Haaa

Erm no, i'm just saying it like it is, you need more than a "really decent" personal statement to get into Cambridge, it has to be exceptional. I'm not going to bull**** and say you're going to get an offer because chances are slim for everyone. As far making people feel bad, would you rather I told you a "really decent" personal statement was good enough? Because that would be lying. I have to be cruel to be kind. Lastly, don't worry about my life, because yours isn't sounding too great at the moment. Good luck getting the grades.
Reply 6
Haa mine is great thankss got my friends, the good grades and everything I could want. And you could of just said "you need a really decent personal statement" to begin with, but no. Probably because your jealous of all these people who are better than you, like me. I mean did you not see my UMS scores, there good, so don't know why your saying my life is bad. I'll just go apply for Southampton or something it's near and still v. decent. Can't wait to hear YOUR bull**** reply. LOL at you mate.
Reply 7
Look at all your neg, hahahahahaha, blatantly hated!
Reply 8
Hi, quick question to all. Throughout my GCSE'S I was literally the naughtiest kid in the year, never revised was predicted all a*'s but of course didn't get them. I got 3a's 6b's and 2c's. Since then I have done my as levels and put my head in the game as I was also one of the most intelligent kids. I did my Jan exams and got A 95%C1, unit1 chem 92%, and economics unit1 94%. This is all a's i'm sure I will get a's in the may exams. If I was to work hard with a really decent personal statement and A economics A/A* (next year in maths), A Chemistry and A (a/s level further maths) Would I have a chance to get in to Cambridge? Could I go there and tell them what I was like in my GCSEs or has that literally ruined alll my chances? Thanks all, really appreciate it!!! :smile:

It's definitely worth an application, and hopefully your reference will be able to convey the switch in attitude which is reflected in your AS results.
Haa mine is great thankss got my friends, the good grades and everything I could want. And you could of just said "you need a really decent personal statement" to begin with, but no. Probably because your jealous of all these people who are better than you, like me. I mean did you not see my UMS scores, there good, so don't know why your saying my life is bad. I'll just go apply for Southampton or something it's near and still v. decent. Can't wait to hear YOUR bull**** reply. LOL at you mate.

I really hope this entire comment was meant to be satirical. If not then you should probably hedge your bets about getting in to Cambridge.
Reply 10
Original post by A level Az
Erm no, i'm just saying it like it is, you need more than a "really decent" personal statement to get into Cambridge, it has to be exceptional. I'm not going to bull**** and say you're going to get an offer because chances are slim for everyone. As far making people feel bad, would you rather I told you a "really decent" personal statement was good enough? Because that would be lying. I have to be cruel to be kind. Lastly, don't worry about my life, because yours isn't sounding too great at the moment. Good luck getting the grades.

Original post by Groat
It's definitely worth an application, and hopefully your reference will be able to convey the switch in attitude which is reflected in your AS results.

Original post by AtomSmasher
I really hope this entire comment was meant to be satirical. If not then you should probably hedge your bets about getting in to Cambridge.

Was just angry I'm sorry dude was just being an idiot. I didn't know why you had to be so negative towards me wasn't up for that man.

And thanks for the reply guys really appreciate it thanks all x

Look at all your neg, hahahahahaha, blatantly hated!

No, I'm not jealous at all LOL, I already have A*A*a A levels completed and will hopefully manage to get two more A's. And get over yourself, your UMS scores are nothing special, unit 1's are always easier than the rest.

Southampton is average, so it suits you. Apply to Southampton and, if you're lucky enough to get an offer, take it, because no way in hell are you getting into Cambridge with that attitude. They'll see right through your bs during interviews.

And lastly, you have more negs than me on this thread right now, so I guess more people hate you :smile:

LOL @ you :lol::laugh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Your a freak you don't even know me, bet your an ugly little loser haha and give a **** about neg... loooool

I reckon you're in with a good shot. You'll never know unless you apply. :P Good luck.
Reply 14

Your grades don't make it impossible. Your apparent grasp(or lack thereof) of the English language may, however, be a problem.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Slumpy
Your grades don't make it impossible. Your apparently grasp(or lack thereof) of the English language may, however, be a problem.

*"Apparent"? :tongue: that was a little ironic :colondollar:
If you don't try you'll never know.
Reply 17
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
*"Apparent"? :tongue: that was a little ironic :colondollar:

Christ, I should really proofread when I'm being a dick. I can't even blame the hockey because nothing much was happening at that moment!:p:
Reply 18

I would've said you had a decent chance since your AS ums is pretty good and GCSEs aren't very important anyway. However, don't be overconfident - there's no need for that kind of attitude. Economics at Cambridge is also one of the most competitive courses and almost everyone applying will have similar grades to you, and most likely better GCSEs to put it in context for you.

Make sure you don't appear arrogant in your interview. Comfortable with the topics but not arrogant.
Original post by A level Az

pfft Cambridge personal statements are easy if you are a narcissist... just saying

Quick Reply

Latest