The Student Room Group

OCR English Literature F661

Is there ANYONE doing this exam next month? I've been looking around at it seems like so few people are actually taking this exam...
I'm really stressed out because this year there are new set texts, so there aren't even practice papers I can do, and I'm not too sure how to revise properly :frown:

Is there anyone who's also having trouble revising? I don't know how many quotes I should now or what themes I need to look out for...

And I'm doing The Turn of The Screw/Yeats for my set texts if anyone's interested

Scroll to see replies

YES!
I'm having the exact same problem!
I have no idea what quotes to learn for anything, my teachers have given me made up questions, but i'm really nervous about the exam.
I'm hoping that they'll be lenient because this is the first year of the exam?
I'm doing Frankenstein and Browning- Browning's poems are literally 4 pages long -_- so I can't even memorise them???
Reply 2
Aghhhh my teacher's gave me some made up questions too but I'm really stumped..

How many quotes from Frankenstein/poems can you remember?
I am sort of okay with the novel, but I can't get my head round poetry! :s-smilie:
Original post by garyheehee
Is there ANYONE doing this exam next month? I've been looking around at it seems like so few people are actually taking this exam...
I'm really stressed out because this year there are new set texts, so there aren't even practice papers I can do, and I'm not too sure how to revise properly :frown:

Is there anyone who's also having trouble revising? I don't know how many quotes I should now or what themes I need to look out for...

And I'm doing The Turn of The Screw/Yeats for my set texts if anyone's interested

Original post by GodfreySaker
YES!
I'm having the exact same problem!
I have no idea what quotes to learn for anything, my teachers have given me made up questions, but i'm really nervous about the exam.
I'm hoping that they'll be lenient because this is the first year of the exam?
I'm doing Frankenstein and Browning- Browning's poems are literally 4 pages long -_- so I can't even memorise them???

Hey, I'm doing this too - so glad to not be alone! :smile: I'm also doing Frankenstein, and Thomas as well, which is just mental nonsense :wink:
I really dislike how there's no past questions as well, so worried for this exam, especially as the quotes and notes are so hard to memorise :s-smilie:
Good luck anyway guys :smile:
Aghhhh my teacher's gave me some made up questions too but I'm really stumped..

How many quotes from Frankenstein/poems can you remember?
I am sort of okay with the novel, but I can't get my head round poetry! :s-smilie:

I can only remember very few, we've been doing timed questions in class and it's not that bad.
The novel for me is killing me, there are so many more themes to know quotes from. And you get one poem in the exam, so you can basically make up some stuff for that?
:confused: English this year has made me want to drop it x1000000
Reply 5
I'm doing Frankenstein and Emily dickinson D: Stressing out about learning frankenstein quotes off by heart. Anyone found any good revision notes for either?
Reply 6
YES! I'm doing Thomas and Frankenstein....any ideas?! I'm just making notes on all I can! I'll do an essay tonight as well methinks.
Doing Thomas and the secret agent - exam text has left me dying and my class seems like the only one in the country to do it

PLEEEEASE SOMEBODY OUT THERE TALK TO ME ABOUT CONRAD I KNOW NOTHING!
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm doing Jane Eyre and Emily Dickinson. The poems are annoying me and somehow we're supposed to memorise 500 pages?
The least they could do is give us the book. :/
Also does anyone have any ideas what the question may be for either? Any predictions on the poem that will come up?
Reply 9
Original post by AmberJade123
I'm doing Jane Eyre and Emily Dickinson. The poems are annoying me and somehow we're supposed to memorise 500 pages?
The least they could do is give us the book. :/
Also does anyone have any ideas what the question may be for either? Any predictions on the poem that will come up?

They didn't even give you the novel? :s
Original post by sara :D
I'm doing Frankenstein and Emily dickinson D: Stressing out about learning frankenstein quotes off by heart. Anyone found any good revision notes for either?

Advanced yorke notes for frankenstein is good, and sparknotes for basic points and themes. The thing is, is that hardly anyone does Frankenstein at a level so we basically have to choose the quotes ourselves :|
Apparently the exam board is quite chill about how correct the quote is, just as long as it means the same thing, for example, "eternally miserable" as opposed to "miserable eternally" or "I am a fallen angel" as opposed to "I am rather your fallen angel" etc
PS sorry about any typos, I'm on my iPod.
I'm doing Dorian Gray and Thomas. Poetry seems all good (i think) past Q not too bad but for the novel we haven't even finished studying it yet and the made up questions we've been given seem awful! Dreading the exam :frown:
Original post by gingernat
YES! I'm doing Thomas and Frankenstein....any ideas?! I'm just making notes on all I can! I'll do an essay tonight as well methinks.

Same as me :smile: No idea how to even start revising! How annoying is Thomas?! :tongue:
Original post by deadlypepperpot
Hey, I'm doing this too - so glad to not be alone! :smile: I'm also doing Frankenstein, and Thomas as well, which is just mental nonsense :wink:
I really dislike how there's no past questions as well, so worried for this exam, especially as the quotes and notes are so hard to memorise :s-smilie:
Good luck anyway guys :smile:

I'm doing Frankenstein and Browning. Is really annoying how there are no past papers! The Quotes for Frankenstein I have found hard but also remembering a few quote from each poem:/ My teacher told me to find the 'neon words' for each poem, she also said that quotes for Frankenstein don't have to be really long or 100% accurate.
Good luck everyone:smile:
Just wondering - when it says in poetry questions "discuss with reference to other poems that you have studied" how many does that mean? :s-smilie: My one teacher says to discuss the one they give you and then compare and contrast against one other. But then another teacher says to focus on the one they give in the question, and then refer to lots of the other poems briefly in passing. What've your teachers said? Cheers!
Original post by MikeDHopkinson
Just wondering - when it says in poetry questions "discuss with reference to other poems that you have studied" how many does that mean? :s-smilie: My one teacher says to discuss the one they give you and then compare and contrast against one other. But then another teacher says to focus on the one they give in the question, and then refer to lots of the other poems briefly in passing. What've your teachers said? Cheers!

The head of English in my school said compare it to at least three. If the question says poems then it should be more than one(?)

I'm doing Jane Eyre and Yeats and I've only just begun revision! I'm fine with Yeats but I'm sooo stuck on Jane Eyre! Like, I know we do themes and context and all of those, but I don't know what quotes to revise/memorise. I'm also trying to go by the AOs but the fact that my teachers have literally only just started telling us what to do in the exams is scaring me and pissing me off! I got one of the best results in my class for my coursework (92% :ahee:), but I don't know if I should be expecting more than a D/C grade at this rate! Argh! I'm so pissed off! I mean, I know it's not just my teachers' fault but I just wish they gave us some guidance earlier in the year! All we've ****ing been doing was reading the poems and book, and watching three ****ing Jane Eyre movies! :rant: Argh! Sorry for the rant. :innocent: I'm only starting to realise the position I'm in. I absolutely love English, I just wish I knew what I was doing! :cry2:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16

I'm doing Yeats and TTOTS too :smile:

I am finding it so difficult to revise for, I've done a few exam questions set by teachers and have tried to memorize as many quotes as I can.

However I find it to be so daunting...I hate it :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by stoppy123
I'm doing Yeats and TTOTS too :smile:

I am finding it so difficult to revise for, I've done a few exam questions set by teachers and have tried to memorize as many quotes as I can.

However I find it to be so daunting...I hate it :frown:

Finally, someone actually doing the same texts as me! :tongue:
I'm really worried about the TTOTS exam...
Do you just learn quotes you can use for most questions or do you just learn loads? I'm worried about fitting all this info in my head :/
Crapping it about this exam, doing Frankenstein and Yeats...it's Yeats I'm worrying about the most though D:

Started on learning quotes and critics for Frankenstein and I've got a few stuck in my head now, but there's no way I'm even going to remember Yeats' stuff...

Which idiots idea was it to make it a closed book exam? :/ It's English Lit. for God's sake, we need the text to write about it! :frown:

Also, anyone know any grade boundaries for this exam?
Reply 19
Finally, someone actually doing the same texts as me! :tongue:
I'm really worried about the TTOTS exam...
Do you just learn quotes you can use for most questions or do you just learn loads? I'm worried about fitting all this info in my head :/

I'm doing Yeats and TOTS as well...Yeats will be fine but what themes are you learning for TOTS? I'm one of about half our class who's actually read the book but I'm completely at a loss as to how I'm doing.

We've also done precisely 3 essays on it which we all got poor marks for, any advice on how to structure cause our teacher hasn't given us any?

And for critical analysis do we have to quote or can we just give an overview? Same applies for linking to other poems in Yeats...

aah so much stress

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending