The Student Room Group

Higher French Discussion Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

I'm starting revision this afternoon :colondollar:
I'm just going to try and memorise directed writing phrases and fancy words for response writing, and watch a couple of films.. I'm really worried about tomorrow now!
Does anyone think the directed writing will be on a pen pall? I pray the listening is easy!! :frown: ;(

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm pretty certain that something will be based on sport/health, given the fact it hasn't come up in ages and the English close reading was based on the Olympics.. (I know they're not the same subjects, but still!) :s-smilie:
I'm hoping I'm wrong though.. given the fact I was off for almost the whole of that topic..
Reply 103
Original post by rawragee
I'm pretty certain that something will be based on sport/health, given the fact it hasn't come up in ages and the English close reading was based on the Olympics.. (I know they're not the same subjects, but still!) :s-smilie:
I'm hoping I'm wrong though.. given the fact I was off for almost the whole of that topic..

I hope not :/ I've always been rubbish at the health topic, but having a quick look through past papers there hasn't been much on health for a few years.

Other than that, I'm pretty confident :biggrin:
Reply 104
Some advice needed guys! How long should I take to do the writing and the reading in paper one eg how do you split up the time bearing in mind that you have 1h40m overall

Good luck guys!
Original post by aroy45
Some advice needed guys! How long should I take to do the writing and the reading in paper one eg how do you split up the time bearing in mind that you have 1h40m overall

Good luck guys!

my teacher advises people to spend about an hour on the reading, then fourty minutes on the writing, but it honestly depends on which one you excel at out of the two.
for example, I'm considerably better at reading and translation so the reading portion only takes me around 40 minutes, while I make a lot of slapdash mistakes during writing so need the extra time on writing to go through slowly and check it carefully.

it depends on you really :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by aroy45

Good luck guys!

Normally I give it an hour for the reading and the rest for the directed writing.
Good luck tomorrow everybody! :biggrin:
Reply 108
How did everyone get on today? :biggrin:

I thought today overall went well for me :smile:

Reading: I thought it was an absolute gift of a reading in all honesty :biggrin:
DW: I was very very happy as only last night I decided to learn a description of a job out of a textbook :colondollar:
Listening: Um.. it was alright? I found it mumbly and very fast in the middley bits so not sure if my points are totally right :s-smilie:
RW: I totally messed it up, our exam started at 11.20 but I forgot this and on the listening sheet it said it finished at 12, so basically by the time I'd got a bit into my writing I thought I only had ten minutes to do it.. oops! Also, it was all in the present tense D:
Ok, thought the translation was quite hard. The directed writing wasn't what I was expecting.

Reply 111
Yes, I thought the paper was overly simple compared to other years. Reading was straight forward took no more than 15 minutes, with the directed writing I think I got carried away and wrote 4 full a4 pages haha. Listening was a gift and was just like the 2000? listening where it was similar vocab :smile: then the essay of which I hadn't revised was good and got it all finished in about 25 minutes :biggrin:

Reply 112
I thought overall the Reading was pretty good. It wasn't too challenging.
The translation had a wacky first sentence? What did people get for that? The rest was fine.
The listening was ok start and end but in the middle I didn't hear some stuff so I had to guess.
The directed writing and personal response essays were fine - had some phrases memorised which worked well. Managed to finish both papers in good time so I am quite pleased!

Only art left which is in 8 days so I have some free time to tidy and organise my room and do some sewing! Yay!
Original post by auberjean
I thought overall the Reading was pretty good. It wasn't too challenging.
The translation had a wacky first sentence? What did people get for that? The rest was fine.
The listening was ok start and end but in the middle I didn't hear some stuff so I had to guess.
The directed writing and personal response essays were fine - had some phrases memorised which worked well. Managed to finish both papers in good time so I am quite pleased!

Only art left which is in 8 days so I have some free time to tidy and organise my room and do some sewing! Yay!

I couldn't work out what the "part" was in the first sentence of it, I thought it was maybe some form of partir but then it said "share" in my dictionary and I couldn't work it out :s-smilie:
in the listening I got stuck on the why was it difficult to make friends and who helped her get over it questions, as I only really got one thing for each?
I took it as part of partir so put something like; so, she goes away with one of them or something along those lines!
Yeah I had the same trouble with finding 2 marks for those questions! I also struggled with the second question on what the other advantage of coming to Scotland was?
Original post by hannah94xx
I took it as part of partir so put something like; so, she goes away with one of them or something along those lines!
Yeah I had the same trouble with finding 2 marks for those questions! I also struggled with the second question on what the other advantage of coming to Scotland was?

I immediately thought it was partir and wrote that she takes one of them, but thought that sounded a bit child catcher-esque so decided to change it to share, so I wrote she shares her time with them? :colone:
I think that the second advantage was that she could see how young people live in Scotland :smile:
oh.... I'm not sure- do you know how anyone else translated it? Ah that makes sense thank you :smile: i didn't catch what they said at all so just guessed :s-smilie: ... wrongly haha!
Does anyone have any predictions on what the grade boundaries will be?

Original post by hannah94xx
oh.... I'm not sure- do you know how anyone else translated it? Ah that makes sense thank you :smile: i didn't catch what they said at all so just guessed :s-smilie: ... wrongly haha!

majority of people did what I did, but I'm pretty sure that it being a conjugation of partir is correct (google translate also assures me), so well done :smile:
it's okay, it was just one mark! I'm sure it won't have made a big difference overall :biggrin:
Original post by rawragee
majority of people did what I did, but I'm pretty sure that it being a conjugation of partir is correct (google translate also assures me), so well done :smile:
it's okay, it was just one mark! I'm sure it won't have made a big difference overall :biggrin:

Aw thank you :smile: and yeah thats true! I think I did alright at most of the rest of the questions so fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending