The Student Room Group

Would you rather have a degree or a guaranteed job?

I find myself having to make a decision between going into full time education and getting a degree or accepting a place in an apprenticeship which guarantees that I will get a job after a four-year period. Considering that some people with degrees dont even have jobs, I'm thinking; apprenticeship, but there's only so far up the career ladder an apprenticeship can take a person. So would U just be content having a well paid job or would U rather take ur chances and get a degree, if U were in my shoes ?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A degree; a guaranteed job now doesn't mean a guaranteed job in the future.

I'm not saying a degree wil guarantee you a job, but it will open more doors for you in the long-term.
Reply 2
Original post by damilola
I find myself having to make a decision between going into full time education and getting a degree or accepting a place in an apprenticeship which guarantees that I will get a job after a four-year period. Considering that most people with degrees dont even have jobs, I'm thinking; apprenticeship, but there's only so far up the career ladder an apprenticeship can take a person. So would U just be content having a well paid job or would U rather take ur chances and get a degree, if U were in my shoes ?

First what apprentiship do you want to do and what degree as well. Also tge stats for grad employment is actually good no a large amount are unemployed.
Reply 3
I find myself having to make a decision between going into full time education and getting a degree or accepting a place in an apprenticeship which guarantees that I will get a job after a four-year period. Considering that most people with degrees dont even have jobs, I'm thinking; apprenticeship, but there's only so far up the career ladder an apprenticeship can take a person. So would U just be content having a well paid job or would U rather take ur chances and get a degree, if U were in my shoes ?

Not at all true, sure there are grads struggling to find jobs but the word 'most' is a huge exaggeration.

It's very hard to give any meaningful advise on this without knowing which university, which degree and which apprenticeship. On the whole I think degrees hold long term value, but it depends on you and your goals.
Reply 4
After just finishing my degree, I'd definitely say get a job / apprenticeship and work your way up.

My mates who didn't go to uni are all well above where I'd enter in the organisation with my degree now and have the experience employers are looking for now a days
I think you'll start seeing better job prospects in 3 years time than today unless the Eurozone goes completely tits up. Despite the figures it feels a whole lot better now than it did when I graduated. People I graduated with were having their job offers removed for all sorts of reasons and it was just absolute chaos. A lot of recruitment freezes have ended though the pace is still slow.
Degree, education is the thing I value the most in my life. :smile:
Reply 7
Ok, saying most graduates don't have jobs is an exaggeration on my part, sorry. I've got an apprenticeship offer from BP or university to study chemical engineering.
A degree. I really value learning and mental challenges and honestly couldn't imagine life without it.

Chemical engineering is a very good degree to have. It's mentally challenging but the hard work will pay off - not to mention that chem eng graduates are the highest paid i think!
Reply 9
Ok, saying most graduates don't have jobs is an exaggeration on my part, sorry. I've got an apprenticeship offer from BP or university to study chemical engineering.

Tbh, if you're going doing chem eng, BP probably is where you're going to want to end up.

I'd always choose university because of the non-academic development you get, and also the experience of being at university, being independent, meeting lots of young like-minded people, and really, the last freedom you really have before you start work.

Anyway, you might not have to choose between both - BP definitely do internships, you might be able to ask for some sort of arrangement where you do summer internships while studying for uni. That would be the ideal situation!
Personally, if it's a reputable and structured apprenticeship, I'd take that unless there was some pressing reason to go to university; if a time comes in the future where a degree is necessary for further advancement, you could always take time out to do one then, but when you finish it you'll have the massive advantage job hunting of prior experience. Some companies might let you do part -time uni study as well :dontknow:
It would depend entirely on the pay and conditions and future prospects of the job. If they didn't match or exceed what I would hope for from a degree, I would rather take my chances in the graduate job market.

I am not at all the sort of person that pursues education for the sake of education; I view it as an investment.
Reply 12
What qualification are you getting out of your apprenticeship? I know people who have done mechanical engineering apprenticeships that have given them a higher qualification, which they are now working towards degree level with in their own time.

My cousin also got some vocational higher qualification on some apprenticeship with Kent uni, working some days and attending classes other days, now he has an electrical engineering job in Kent on salary with his employer funding him on getting his degree 2 days a week in classes.

I have some experience in the field of mechanical engineering, and from my experience (admitidly limited) hands on knowledge/ experience is just as if not more valuable than theory knowledge.
Reply 13
I think that this is the apprentiship that op is thinking of doing
http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9023239&contentId=7043237

There isn't a guaranteed job afterwoulds. It's either a two or three year schemes you get two qualifications.
(edited 11 years ago)
depends on the person... i would take the degree because it'd be in something i am interested in and would hopefully lead me in the direction of the job i want... but if you would rather a job in the apprenticeship's field then take that.

also, education isn't just about the job.

as for the job market, you have no idea what it'll be like in 3 years time.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by non
First what apprentiship do you want to do and what degree as well. Also tge stats for grad employment is actually good no a large amount are unemployed.

10-15% unemployed with about a third doing non graduate, unskilled work, wouldnt say they're theyre great figures
Reply 16
Original post by non
I think that this is the apprentiship that op is thinking of doing
http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9023239&contentId=7043237

There isn't a guaranteed job afterwoulds. It's either a two or three year schemes you get two qualifications.

I can't open the link so I dunno if it's the same one but my apprentice scheme is a 4 year course and it has at least a 85% chance that I will get a job afterwards, provided that I do well in college and projects.
Reply 17
Original post by chloemo14
Personally, if it's a reputable and structured apprenticeship, I'd take that unless there was some pressing reason to go to university; if a time comes in the future where a degree is necessary for further advancement, you could always take time out to do one then, but when you finish it you'll have the massive advantage job hunting of prior experience. Some companies might let you do part -time uni study as well :dontknow:

This is what I'm thinking, I could get a degree later on doing part time study. It'll be hard but I hear that if u do well, the company could let U go off and get a degree and maybe even sponsor U.
Original post by hiding12
10-15% unemployed with about a third doing non graduate, unskilled work, wouldnt say they're theyre great figures

Depends what your course is mind. If you do a subject that has a pretty much related field(for example Accountancy or Law) then it's less likely you'll be unemployed or in unrelated work.

OP, I take the degree. Life is about so much more than getting a job. You'll have more opportunities when you're a student than in the rest of your life plus you'll probably get a job at the end of it.
Reply 19

Since the apprenticeship seems to be in the main field you want to go into it does make it more lucrative.

I think a degree is better though for the options it gives you in the future, applying to almost any job now the entry requirements nearly always say have a 2:1 or be educated to a degree level

I didnt go to uni way back when and its giving me problems now

Quick Reply

Latest