The Student Room Group

Summer

Hey all,
I've applied to various summer schools, but got rejected from them all as they are designed for people from disadvantaged. I've got a tonne of work experience and volunteering and haven't a clue what to do over my 6 week summer.
Any advice would be appreciated D; I wanted to do a nuffield bursary but missed the deadline, as I found out about it afterwards.
What shall I do?
Aisha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apply for ISSI 2013 for next summer! Google it.
Original post by AishaTara
Hey all,
I've applied to various summer schools, but got rejected from them all as they are designed for people from disadvantaged. I've got a tonne of work experience and volunteering and haven't a clue what to do over my 6 week summer.
Any advice would be appreciated D; I wanted to do a nuffield bursary but missed the deadline, as I found out about it afterwards.
What shall I do?
Aisha

As someone who did one of the courses aimed at medical applicant (I did Medlink) I can assure you that you'll find a lot more about the profession through direct volunteering and shadowing than you will through the commercial courses. What could you do over summer? Just carry on with what you're doing. You're not missing much.
Reply 3
Original post by Dislocator
Apply for ISSI 2013 for next summer! Google it.

http://www.issibern.ch/ this?
Reply 4

Whoops no haha,

this - http://davidson.weizmann.ac.il/en/issi

almost all expenses paid for month long trip to Weizmann institute of science in Israel, 3 weeks doing research with current leaders in the field - you get to choose what you research from the available labs, weekend trips to jerusalem and places, then 4th week spent in the judaen desert camel riding and on expeditions
Reply 5
Whoops no haha,

almost all expenses paid for month long trip to Weizmann institute of science in Israel, 3 weeks doing research with current leaders in the field - you get to choose what you research from the available labs, weekend trips to jerusalem and places, then 4th week spent in the judaen desert camel riding and on expeditions

sounds good! have you been on this? also any idea what safety there is like?
Reply 6
Original post by AishaTara
sounds good! have you been on this? also any idea what safety there is like?

I'm going this July, safety wise we're not exactly staying in the Gaza Strip, I think there are guards with us when we're in the desert, and we have a doctor with us. From what people have said on past camps, they always said they felt safe!
Is any of this really necessary for you to decide that you want to study medicine or for you to write in your personal statement, or talk about at interview? I think admissions will be equally impressed by people who just volunteer in a caring environment for the six weeks instead of doing expensive courses.
Reply 8
I'm going this July, safety wise we're not exactly staying in the Gaza Strip, I think there are guards with us when we're in the desert, and we have a doctor with us. From what people have said on past camps, they always said they felt safe!

oh wow, go for it then :smile: how many people get chosen to go?
If I was you I'd try and get a voluntary job, might have left it too late for the summer now though. If you already have one pick up extra shifts. :smile:

Other useful things you can do is read some medical books so you can get your head around the ethical scenarios that might come up in interviews. I recommend this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complications-Surgeons-Notes-Imperfect-Science/dp/1846681324/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338478139&sr=1-1
Original post by MattKneale
Is any of this really necessary for you to decide that you want to study medicine or for you to write in your personal statement, or talk about at interview? I think admissions will be equally impressed by people who just volunteer in a caring environment for the six weeks instead of doing expensive courses.

I agree 100%. People seem to be caught up in a silly attitude of trying to obtain as much impressive sounding work experience as they can. It's not how much you did or how cool sounding your work experience was, it's what you gained from it! What you can reflect on, what you can tell others you learnt was important in doing that job well. To be able to do that, you really don't need a whole lot. I had 2 days in a GP practice and 3 days in A&E. I got in! :biggrin:
Whoops no haha,

How is that relevant to Medicine in any shape or form? I'm pretty sure you won't dare mention that at an interview
Reply 12
Original post by SuperFantasticB
How is that relevant to Medicine in any shape or form? I'm pretty sure you won't dare mention that at an interview

Does the whole 6 weeks need to be spent doing something relevant to you application? I just went on holiday after my AS levels. And I would mention it at interview, after my A levels I went on safari and scuba diving in South Africa, and I talked about it (I was still planning it at the time) at interviews. Shows you know how to have fun.
Reply 13
Why don't you work on your extra-curricular activities, they are just as important. Start a new sport or playing a new instrument? Take up a new hobby?
Reply 14

Erm a month long medical research internship at one of the best universities in the world? Looks great on your CV / something different from everyone else. Lots of doctors do scientific research... there's a lot of science in medicine. It would be great to talk about at interview... why wouldn't it be? Science heavy med schools like BMAT/Kings would love it, or med schools that ask about your interests etc...
Reply 15

She said she was thinking about a Nuffied Bursary, which is also scientific research - or is that irrelevant to medicine and blasphemy to talk about at interview too?
What about just enjoying your summer holidays? Sure do some work experience and voluntary stuff too (I have a weeks worth of work experience which I'm looking forward to!), but why don't you just spend time with your friends or go to the beach for the day or something? Not everything you do has to be medicine related :tongue:
Reply 17
Erm a month long medical research internship at one of the best universities in the world? Looks great on your CV / something different from everyone else. Lots of doctors do scientific research... there's a lot of science in medicine. It would be great to talk about at interview... why wouldn't it be? Science heavy med schools like BMAT/Kings would love it, or med schools that ask about your interests etc...

But surely you wouldn't have a clue what was going on because it would all be wayyyyy above AS level?

OP, no need to do anything. After AS I just did a couple of weeks work experience (was all I did) and had fun! After A2 I had fun, and looked for a job and carried on volunteering and most importantly, had FUN. Seriously, listen to the people saying you don't need to do all this stuff. I know it sounds impressive to other applicants, but admissions people know that a lot of these things don't teach you anything about medicine. You might as well just go on holiday with your friends rather than pretending you know what some medical research people are talking about.
Reply 18
Original post by twelve
But surely you wouldn't have a clue what was going on because it would all be wayyyyy above AS level?

OP, no need to do anything. After AS I just did a couple of weeks work experience (was all I did) and had fun! After A2 I had fun, and looked for a job and carried on volunteering and most importantly, had FUN. Seriously, listen to the people saying you don't need to do all this stuff. I know it sounds impressive to other applicants, but admissions people know that a lot of these things don't teach you anything about medicine. You might as well just go on holiday with your friends rather than pretending you know what some medical research people are talking about.

Its for post A2 students only, so could be good for interviews if you were taking a gap year!
Reply 19
Its for post A2 students only, so could be good for interviews if you were taking a gap year!

It does look interesting, but it sounds just like school to me... How much was that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending