The Student Room Group

Tom Daley twitter troll arrested.

Scroll to see replies

Are people like Tom Daley oblivious to the block button!?

Tom retweeted it for attention, if I received death threats I would first block them then flag him up about it - you can even report tweets, can't you?

#celebrities
Reply 61
Irony of him threatening to get sky news done for harassment at the same time as he threatened to kill everyone is an absolute touch.
What law did he break? I think we should get rid of it.
Original post by AnthonyShock
There are drug addicts on the streets in my area beating up innocent people and the police don't do anything about it.

They shouldn't be concerning themselves with petty trolls, there are bigger fish to fry.
Usually because the best they have to go on is low-grade circumstantial evidence and know arresting the drug addict would lead to an expensive court case that wouldn't even achieve a conviction, and if it did would merely act as a small blot on an already incredibly blotted resume, or an unpaid and tiny fine.

This is in the media, fits the description of section 5 and so they'll take it to court.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by When you see it...
What law did he break? I think we should get rid of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harassment,_alarm_or_distress

it's a really bloody useful law for the police to do their job tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 65
a quick google search for the troll in question seems to suggest that this may not be an isolated case from him..

Still not sure it is enough to warrant an arrest, but yea.
If you're arrested for a racist tweet, I see no reason why you shouldn't be arrested for that kind of tweet.
Do we have any freedom of speech anymore? Punishing people for what they say, is a step towards tyranny.
(edited 11 years ago)
These things never happened when twitter wasnt produced. Such a shame as Britain goes through all that effort in setting up the Olympic games, then you see idiots making a fool of themselves on social networking sites.
Funny, police send a nab-squad to pick up a guy saying mean things on the internet but god help me if my place gets burgled, if I see an officer it'll be for ten minutes and never hear from them again.

Olympics have really messed up the UK's priority, life goes on outside of London and it's Olympic venues.
Original post by Libertarian_Walrus
Do we have any freedom of speech anymore? Punishing people for what they say, is a step towards tyranny.

It's not the same when you direct your freedom of speech towards someone in a distressing matter. Hence he was arrested for hasrrassment.
Original post by Golden_Boy786
you see idiots making a fool of themselves on social networking sites.

I think this has been happening since before MySpace.
Reply 72
Regret following this story as I've now ended up clicking around twitter, finding out who people like Olly Riley are and seeing just how ****ing vacuous everyone on there seems to be. I'm glad social networking only really caught on once I was out of my teens because I can imagine it just making me feel incredibly isolated and alone if I were 16 again.
I think when more details come out it will be clear why he was arrested. As I said earlier in the thread, this guy was sending genuine death threats to other users for months beforehand, the Tom Daley tweet was tame compared to some of the stuff he posted, I did post a link to some of the tweets at the bottom of page 3. I full support freedom of speech, but when you're sending genuinely distressing and threatening things to specific people over a period of time that's overstepping the line.
Reply 74
I wonder if his arrest is also related to an abusive video he uploaded to youtube a few weeks ago where he was saying threatening things towards another twitter user- the video has been blocked overnight which makes me think that it is involved.
Original post by Jono404
Regret following this story as I've now ended up clicking around twitter, finding out who people like Olly Riley are and seeing just how ****ing vacuous everyone on there seems to be. I'm glad social networking only really caught on once I was out of my teens because I can imagine it just making me feel incredibly isolated and alone if I were 16 again.

:giggle:
Original post by Jono404

Yeah, try knowing him in real life... :facepalm:
Reply 77
It's disgusting what was said to Tom Daley on twitter and I think its right that he is punished (banned and named and shamed in the media maybe) but if it was anyone else (i.e just a regular twitter user getting all of those tweets) then the police would probably do nothing about it.
Reply 78
Original post by lukas1051
Yeah, try knowing him in real life... :facepalm:

He's playing the victim regarding what was said about his sister (which is harsh) but there are screens of him insulting girls and the like.
Reply 79
The purpose of Freedom of speech is primarily to ensure you don't 'mysteriously disappear' when speaking out against government or large authorities.

The freedom of speech is not necessarily a license to be able to abuse public individuals with your morally repugnant filth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending