The Student Room Group

Attempted abduction of 10-year-old girl caught on CCTV.

I think this is just terrible. Luckily the guy who did it was caught. Who in their right mind would let their ten year old daughter and 2 year old son walk down a street together alone though?

[video]http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/jul/20/abduction-10-year-old-girl-philadelphia-video[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Scary, but I think most kids are allowed to walk down a street when they're 10; I was. Leaving a 2 year old in her care was negligent though.

Funny thing is if this was a rape thread, you would have a million angry posters chiding you for blaming the victim ... but that reaction seems to only be reserved for rape, bizarrely.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by B-Man.
Scary, but I think most kids are allowed to walk down a street when they're 10; I was. Leaving a 2 year old in her care was negligent though.

Funny thing is if this was a rape thread, you would have a million angry posters chiding you for blaming the victim ... but that reaction seems to only be reserved for rape, bizarrely.

I am not blaming the parents solely for the attempted abduction. However, parents need to be responsible. It's lovely to think we can let children wander the streets but the hard truth is you will be putting them at a risk. Apart from anything else the 10 year old was looking after a 2 year old. That doesn't seem responsible to me.

I would never let my children wander the streets like that unless they were taking public transport etc... my parents always made sure I walked to school with a friend or older brother.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RobertWhite

I would never let my children wander the streets like that unless they were taking public transport etc... my parents always made sure I walked to school with a friend or older brother.

The children had gone to the local store and were on their way home, they were hardly "wandering the streets"
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
The children had gone to the local store and were on their way home, they were hardly "wandering the streets"

That makes it much more acceptable. I still don't agree with a 10 year old looking after a 2 year old though.
Reply 5
I still don't agree with a 10 year old looking after a 2 year old though.

I agree that 2 is a bit young to be looked after by a 10 yr old
Reply 6
I think this is just terrible. Luckily the guy who did it was caught. Who in their right mind would let their ten year old daughter and 2 year old son walk down a street together alone though?

[video]http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2012/jul/20/abduction-10-year-old-girl-philadelphia-video[/video]

The moron thinks he can abduct a little girl just by lifting and carrying her? He runs away like a bitch once he realises it wasn't going to work :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by I Came
The moron thinks he can abduct a little girl just by lifting and carrying her? He runs away like a bitch once he realises it wasn't going to work :tongue:

And in broad daylight!
Reply 8
In South Philadelphia, born and raised.
Reply 9
Original post by Marshyy
In South Philadelphia, born and raised.

LoL
Reply 10
It didn't look like he tried very hard.
I think the parents have some blame for this.
A 10 year old going out with a 2 year old is just irresponsible behaviour from the parents.
What on earth were they thinking? :lolwut:
I agree that the 2 year old should not have been outside without an adult - being supervised by a 10 year old is just not good enough. But I was walking to school by myself when I was 10 - so I can understand why a 10 year old would be out alone. But if it's for any other reason than walking to school, nipping to a corner shop or playing near their house then something is wrong. Regardless, ultimately the blame falls on the sick man who tried to take the kid - we wouldn't have to worry about kids being outside alone if people like that didn't exist.
That was horrible to watch :cry2:

I don't think the parents are to blame. 2 years old is a bit young I admit - but the 2 year old wasn't the one being kidnapped it was the girl. And 10 isn't that young really, I was walking to school by myself from 6.
(edited 11 years ago)
How awful. I don't blame the parents very much though. 10 year old looking after 2 year old IS a bit young, however it was broad daylight and we don't know how far away they were from home. I regularly took my little sister (5 years younger than me) to the park across the road, even when I was only 8, 9, 10...
Is it wrong that I found the whole video a bit funny to watch? Not because abductions are funny or anything, but just because that guy's attempt must go down as one of the most inept and pathetic attempts at being evil, ever.

Quick Reply

Latest