The Student Room Group

How did you react when you were dumped?

When I was dumped I reacted badly I was broken hearted I felt sick, I didnt sleep I didnt eat I lost so much weight that I ended up in hospital being accused of starving myself when actually I just didnt care much for food and never felt hungary. I cried constantly I jsut gave up caring I didnt care about life or anything I have never experienced such a dark part of my life like this, I was however totally in love with this guys with other breakups I just didnt give a crap tbh.,

How did you all react when you got dumped?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
basically near enough the same...but events that occurred made me really angry to say the least.
I behaved exceptionally hostile and aggressive towards him with little care for my own dignity. Looking back I still hurt but it was my first love, so first true breakup. I just behaved inline with how I felt, the next breakup (lol hope not, but being young lol..) will be handed hopefully with more control and logic :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
When I was dumped I reacted badly I was broken hearted I felt sick, I didnt sleep I didnt eat I lost so much weight that I ended up in hospital being accused of starving myself when actually I just didnt care much for food and never felt hungary. I cried constantly I jsut gave up caring I didnt care about life or anything I have never experienced such a dark part of my life like this, I was however totally in love with this guys with other breakups I just didnt give a crap tbh.,

How did you all react when you got dumped?

At irst a bit similar to you, it's weird that you don't feel hungry or tired or anything. Anyway after about 2 months I deleted her number and facebook because she was always posting new pictures and stuff, and since then I have completely forgotten about her :smile: My first break up too and it SUCKED! But it does get better, I promise!
Original post by Rainbows!
basically near enough the same...but events that occurred made me really angry to say the least.
I behaved exceptionally hostile and aggressive towards him with little care for my own dignity. Looking back I still hurt but it was my first love, so first true breakup. I just behaved inline with how I felt, the next breakup (lol hope not, but being young lol..) will be handed hopefully with more control and logic :smile:

This sounds a bit like my first breakup.

My second breakup was much easier. I watched Scrubs for three days solid (Scrubs is my happy programme) then I had placement for the next four days, all 12 hour shifts.

Then I was fine.

The second breakup was a long time coming though. It also helps knowing that you came through it once and was all the better for it, so you can get through it again.
First one: I was completely broken. I didn't eat, I didn't sleep, just cried and cried all day, all night- didn't go out side, wouldn't really venture out of my room. It took me 2 months to even crack a smile. I was so sad my chest used to just ache.... I blamed myself entirely and tortured myself going through the details, what I could have done better, what I should have done. Then I got so annoyed with it all that I just couldn't look at him, I couldn't talk about him so I tried to cut all contact I had with him... it worked till I next saw him again (every day at uni) - that was the hardest and most depressive year of my life... watching and waiting for him to meet someone else and break my heart again.

Second one: Majorly angry as he left me for another girl. We argued, I was very distressed and quite verbally abusive towards him at time- but i didnt feel even a 10th as agonized as the first time.
Reply 5
Original post by Little Hobbit
This sounds a bit like my first breakup.

My second breakup was much easier. I watched Scrubs for three days solid (Scrubs is my happy programme) then I had placement for the next four days, all 12 hour shifts.

Then I was fine.

The second breakup was a long time coming though. It also helps knowing that you came through it once and was all the better for it, so you can get through it again.

Aha, i've been told the first breakup hit you like a train lol. Hopefully they get easier, in fact they must, it couldn't have went any worse!!
Yeah I'm sure this is the case. At least the second time you know what to expect, while the first time you geniunely think you'll never be happy again, which is rather illogical! :smile:
My first relationship didn't last long, but I got to say I was in tears for a few hours after she dumped me. However, even though we very rarely see each other we're still very much great friends (for life, I hope :smile: )
It was very much out of the blue; I didn't see it coming.
I went about my daily routine - work, study, watch TV, read etc. - and it was only a couple of days afterwards, when I absent-mindedly missed him and was halfway through texting him that I realized.
Yes, it sounds stupid, but I was absolutely broken after that. My confidence was shattered, I thought it was all my fault and I simply wasn't good enough.
I came up with a list of things I wished to say to him; I wanted to scream, call him all sorts of names, even wanted to ask why. But then I thought how pointless it would all be; what's done is done, after all.

It took me about three months to get over him, but now I'm much better. Honestly, if there's one thing I can say to anyone going through a rough break-up, it's the fact things will get better, cheesy as that sounds.
Reply 9
If a Women ever dumped me, i'd have to dust off the back of my hand!
Reply 10
Well good for you! I always blame myself aftet break ups too. Nice to know i. Not the only one thay feels like im not good enough. I need to stop questioning guys about why etc they are leaving when they do because I just feel embarrassed now :-(

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
It was at a time when everything in my life was at its worst. I was completely silent for about 5 minutes when she said it (must have been awkward!). Haven't been able to feel strongly about anything ever since, or if I have then the emotion doesn't last very long. But it wasn't just the break up, a lot of other things were happening around the same time. I hate the numb feeling, it makes enjoying something seem very difficult. Now when something tragic happens, I suddenly can't feel anything at all - completely numb, and I don't know why.
This one time was fine about it, didn't feel anything, got back to my flat and actually collapsed on the floor bawling my eyes out (yeah real manly), thought that was it done, then came the Long Lost Week.

I was surprised I was able to get anything done, the weekend after the break up felt like the longest in my life, the week after was **** mostly because I kept seeing her (in the place me and my friends hang out) and I had uni work to do, somehow got it done and reasonably well, but at the time it was in a way a useful distraction.

Think I'm still getting over it to be fair. Only recently can I say I don't care. Just glad I didn't make any bigger a mug out of myself as I felt, in hindsight though she didn't do anything wrong and I didn't either we were just on different pages.

This other time she did it at a party with all my mates, even though I knew it was coming from the day before's discussion.

Was drunk and it was sorta public so I wasn't too chuffed about it for the rest of the night, but went back to town with mates, bugged me for a week then pretty much got over it.

Just depends some a real **** some are tolerable, hopefully most will be like the latter. Though I think I prefer being the dumper rather than the dumpee.
Reply 13
I cried and cried for days on end, stopped eating i was never hungry and lost alot of weight, there was never a reason either so i spent every single second blaming myself and going through any thing i could have changed about myself or done differently, it's been 2 months now and im finally starting to see the light lol
Cried for days, blamed other people for it happening, didn't eat or drink, secluded myself from everyone and just stayed in my room all the time and now I have serious trust issues with relationships although we didn't break up due to cheating or anything so I'm pretty confused as to why I have this issue with guys :s

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
I've most often been the one doing the dumping, for which I've found strategies which ensure I will leave feeling on top (which I've been writing about on my blog - not sure if I can post links on here, but the link is on my profile - I would warn some people (men in particular), that they may not like some of what they read, but others will find it fun). But I have been dumped a couple of times, and it's definitely a blow at the time. But if you have sufficient self-belief (as I think I do), and see a relationship as a bonus rather than a necessity, then it needn't be devastating.

Going through relationships and break-ups is part of life - it can hurt and be humiliating (or you can hurt and humiliate someone), but that's inevitable. Being able to deal with that is part of growing up, I think.
It's been about 2 months since my first breakup and I'm still not entirely over it. I was seriously upset about it, blamed myself for everything and anything that I deemed went wrong and just stayed in my room all day.

The worst part is that I was recently told by her friend that she was having doubts since February (after she told me she was having doubts for around a month before the breakup). So that made me really feel like I could've done something to help her doubts but she got the idea in to her head and stuck with it rather than bring it up with me. Then she began telling me that she's been with other people and that really didn't help the situation.

But day by day I'm getting better.
Reply 17
I hate the word dumped. It makes me imagine myself hanging onto my ex's back until he finally decides to get rid of me and dumps me on the ground.

At first I was very sad. I missed the texts and phone calls and always having someone there for you. Also the stupid little things such as having someone to spoon when you go to sleep and someone to watch films with etc bugged me. My personality kind of deflated. I'd been so happy for ages that it was unusual to feel so unhappy and I couldn't bring myself to be myself.

Then I got a back bone and got on with life. Gym, good friends, amazing family and an education are now my focuses in life and i'm loving it. :biggrin:
Reply 18
When he actually walked away from my house, I shut the door and started crying against it. I ended up sat on the sofa inconsolable for about ten minutes whilst my brother looked at me like :K: That night I had to go to work, I was okay for a while but if any one asked me if I was okay, I dissolved into tears. I soldiered on for a couple of days as I had my Portfolio Interview for Uni two days after. After that I did get a little depressed, I didn't take the best care of myself. My friends started texting me so much more and invited me out loads, so I focused on them. I re-dyed my hair (I was bright red during the relationship, so went back brunette) and joined the gym. Got a little healthier and fitter and got myself into Uni all by myself. After a month or so I was fine.
Reply 19
Original post by conniebee
When he actually walked away from my house, I shut the door and started crying against it. I ended up sat on the sofa inconsolable for about ten minutes whilst my brother looked at me like :K: That night I had to go to work, I was okay for a while but if any one asked me if I was okay, I dissolved into tears. I soldiered on for a couple of days as I had my Portfolio Interview for Uni two days after. After that I did get a little depressed, I didn't take the best care of myself. My friends started texting me so much more and invited me out loads, so I focused on them. I re-dyed my hair (I was bright red during the relationship, so went back brunette) and joined the gym. Got a little healthier and fitter and got myself into Uni all by myself. After a month or so I was fine.

I think changing your outside (I.e getting fitter and dying your hair etc) really helps give you confidence again. I got addicted to the gym and although I was only a size 8 before, I felt much more confident when meeting new people, as I was happier with my body and exterior. I'd advise people who have broken up recently to do something like this. It gives you a drive. :biggrin:

Quick Reply