The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Lord Huntroyde
I go to a fully selective grammar - they are state schools.

grammar schools = state schools? :confused:
Reply 61
TheWolf
grammar schools = state schools? :confused:

Yes.
Lord Huntroyde
Yes.

OK.

It's clear that I got my terminology wrong, I assumed that state schools were just comprehensive schools.

But nevertheless, grammar schools are clearly not the same as comprehensive schools - i.e.) they are much more posh, better facilities, teaching etc.

My terminology was wrong.
bono
OK.

It's clear that I got my terminology wrong, I assumed that state schools were just comprehensive schools.

But nevertheless, grammar schools are clearly not the same as comprehensive schools - i.e.) they are much more posh, better facilities, teaching etc.

Indeed. I like it the way universities pretend they are taking a greater number of poorer students because they use the %State, when in reality most of these people are quite wealthy grammar school kids.
happysunshine
Indeed. I like it the way universities pretend they are taking a greater number of poorer students because they use the %State, when in reality most of these people are quite wealthy grammar school kids.

HAHA, so all the time this "50% of state schoolers" is actually mainly posh grammar school people?! haha, this is funny.... (OXBRIDGE)

I always thought that 50% figure was bog standard comprehensive schools, as I thought state schools only meant comprehensives. haha, what a con.

"we accept state schoolers with open arms" - yes, the rich ones who go to grammar schools. :rolleyes:
bono
HAHA, so all the time this "50% of state schoolers" is actually mainly posh grammar school people?! haha, this is funny.... (OXBRIDGE)

I always thought that 50% figure was bog standard comprehensive schools, as I thought state schools only meant comprehensives. haha, what a con.

"we accept state schoolers with open arms" - yes, the rich ones who go to grammar schools. :rolleyes:

Yup, that's exactly it. They think that we are of the same parental income etc. when that isn't the case at all.

I do think they should have %Comp. %Grammar %Independent but at the good universities the %Comp will probably be low and make them look class selective rather than selecting the brightest which obviously more will go to the independents and the grammars.
happysunshine
Yup, that's exactly it. They think that we are of the same parental income etc. when that isn't the case at all.

I do think they should have %Comp. %Grammar %Independent but at the good universities the %Comp will probably be low and make them look class selective rather than selecting the brightest which obviously more will go to the independents and the grammars.

I would love to know the % of comprehensive school kids who go to oxbridge.
bono
I would love to know the % of comprehensive school kids who go to oxbridge.

Me too. I bet it's very low and I can guarentee there wont be any information. Maybe they should do their little tables by parental income.
happysunshine
Me too. I bet it's very low and I can guarentee there wont be any information. Maybe they should do their little tables by parental income.

Yes, it's just all fiddled statistics.

I would also like to know the % of students from comprehensive students whose parents earn under 30k a year - After all, it shouldn't matter, because it's about potential, and theres that lovely access scheme as well. :rolleyes:
Reply 69
bono
OK.

Why would grammars be posh? Mine isn't

We have worse facilities than most comps due to the fact that the present government are very anti-selection.
Lord Huntroyde
Why would grammars be posh? Mine isn't

We have worse facilities than most comps due to the fact that the present government are very anti-selection.

The majority are far superior to comprehensives. No way can a grammar school can be seen in the same light as a bog standard comprehensive, generally.
bono
The majority are far superior to comprehensives. No way can a grammar school can be seen in the same light as a bog standard comprehensive, generally.

And it's not just facilities, it's better teaching due to peers being more willing to learn and I have no evidence but teachers more willing to teach.
happysunshine
And it's not just facilities, it's better teaching due to peers being more willing to learn and I have no evidence but teachers more willing to teach.

Exactly.

And to huntroyde: Many grammar schools have kids who pay to go to that school. And this is many.
Reply 73
bono

The standards are better, but not the facilities, unless a grammar built extra facilities just before 1997.
Reply 74
bono
Exactly.

And to huntroyde: Many grammar schools have kids who pay to go to that school. And this is many.

No, at a grammar no one pays to go. Absolutely no one.
Lord Huntroyde
The standards are better, but not the facilities, unless a grammar built extra facilities just before 1997.

I can guarantee you that the average grammar school will have:

a.) better quality teaching
b.) better facilities
c.) some students whose parents pay for them to go to that school.

Than an an average comprehensive school.
Lord Huntroyde
No, at a grammar no one pays to go. Absolutely no one.

So why does 2776 go to Leeds Grammar school, where some students pay to go to that school?

And why is it that when I lived in another area, the grammar school there had students who paid.

And why is it on deinra's profile she put "fully selective grammar school", which clearly implies that some are not full selective. i.e.) some cough up the dosh.
Reply 77
bono
So why does 2776 go to Leeds Grammar school, where some students pay to go to that school?

And why is it that when I lived in another area, the grammar school there had students who paid.

And why is it on deinra's profile she put "fully selective grammar school", which clearly implies that some are not full selective. i.e.) some cough up the dosh.

Some private schools have the word grammar in their title but are not grammar schools, ie. they are not state schools. You are confusing the 164 true grammar schools and private schools which have the word grammar in their name.
Reply 78
bono
I can guarantee you that the average grammar school will have:

a.) better quality teaching
b.) better facilities
c.) some students whose parents pay for them to go to that school.

Than an an average comprehensive school.

a) is probably right, b) right in some cases possibly, c) is completely false.
Lord Huntroyde
a) is probably right, b) right in some cases possibly, c) is completely false.

What the hell?

Some private schools have "grammar" in their name?!

Aaaargh, confusion!!!

Latest