The Student Room Group

PWC HEADSTART - Good or Not so good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think its between 18 and 19k
Reply 21
bassamband
Does anyone know what the starting salary for People on the Head Start Programme in London?
Thanks

I've PM'ed you.
Reply 22
Singh_87
I've PM'ed you.

Reply 23
I got told at a PWC open day, that once u have completed your headstart programme, and got your qualifications, you can do a disseration and submit it to Oxford Brookes and you will be awarded a degree in Accounting
dups45
I got told at a PWC open day, that once u have completed your headstart programme, and got your qualifications, you can do a disseration and submit it to Oxford Brookes and you will be awarded a degree in Accounting

Very true - this does not only apply to PWC though, anyone with an ACCA qualification can submit for this degree, it is a good way to balance out the choices, I think.

edit - I actually only know this is true for new starters, not sure whether those already qualified are offered the same deal?
Reply 25
ww.accaglobal.com should have more info
for the degree you need to complete the second stage papers and they will form the mark of your degree
Reply 26
bband
Does anyone know what the starting salary for People on the Head Start Programme in London?
Thanks

Anyone? :smile:

In particular the starting salary, the salary for the 3rd year and once you've qualified with ACA.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 27
dups45

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9374483#post9374483
Reply 28
OP - consider looking at PWC's flying start program, http://www.pwc.com/uk/eng/car-inexp/tg/flying-start.html . You get a head start and a degree at the same time :smile:
Reply 29
both are really good ways to get into accoutnancy
Hi, the starting salary for those on HEADstart is around £19,000. PwC does give HEADstart students access to the Choices Benefits, which can include leasing cars as well as pension, extra time off, health insurance or extra money.
It's hard to say whether not hvaing a degree will hinder your future career, although I have been told that getting the ACCA is as good as a degree and that it is actually possible to get a degree after studying if you felt you really needed it.
University will leave us all in loads of debt. I am on the PwC scholars scheme and I would recommend doing the gap year for experience. I am not sure that auditing is really what I want to do and this taster 7 months is good beause I am not focusing too soon. Also.. the social side of university? It's got to be worth going just for that!
Reply 31
Disney .. i don't know whether this is still relevant as you may have already accepted the place (and if you have welcome to the firm), but im on the Headstart programme at the moment.

From someone who has though about this, and now works for the firm on the Headstart programme, i would say that not having a degree within the firm does not mean anything. I work along side the graduates in assurance and do exactly the same work as them, to exactly the same standard (as well as this in-charges have always seen me as an associate anyways).

Also, as part of the ACCA qualification, there is an option to carry out an extra project and get a BSc. (Hons) degreee from the Oxford Brookes university (which I intend on doing purely for the CV).

If you have any Q's give me a shout.
Bwilson803
Disney .. i don't know whether this is still relevant as you may have already accepted the place (and if you have welcome to the firm), but im on the Headstart programme at the moment.

From someone who has though about this, and now works for the firm on the Headstart programme, i would say that not having a degree within the firm does not mean anything. I work along side the graduates in assurance and do exactly the same work as them, to exactly the same standard (as well as this in-charges have always seen me as an associate anyways).

Also, as part of the ACCA qualification, there is an option to carry out an extra project and get a BSc. (Hons) degreee from the Oxford Brookes university (which I intend on doing purely for the CV).

If you have any Q's give me a shout.

I've got a couple of quick questions as I've been looking into these sort of schemes as an alternative to University.

Whats your workload like, bwilson? (Typical working hours say)
How have you found the exams?

Cheers in advance!
Reply 33
Hey there ...

Workload depends on the time of year ... for example our busy season is coming up in January and there is usually a few late nights during then (Jan to March). In terms of the amount of work you are given, it depends on the person and how quickly you take everything in, its very much geared around your development, and making sure that you have a bit of a challenge in the work you do.

In terms of he exams, I haven't found them that bad ... have had one today in fact. They are deffinately doable, it's just a case of putting the work in and making sure that you make the most of the tutors at college ... PwC pay for you to do every course there is for a paper with Kaplan Financial (i.e Tuition, Progress Tests, Revision, Question Based revision and mock exams).

Anything else you wanna know, give me a shout.
Reply 34
Hi guys

Ive just been accepted for the 2008 HEADstart role in Tax based in London.

Anyone else due to start this year????
Singh_87
Yep, I am. The company is great, and PwC do invest alot in you. They provide you with real work experience, not simply photocopying documents. Yea, I am at MK...

ALL big4 firms provide you with REAL w/e, you do the SAME thing in just a different company

to the OP - on the KPMG scheme I have met a manager at the age of 23 as well, i would say accountancy is based on performance - if you are dead set on a career within audit for example and you perform excellently throughout THERE IS NO REASON WHY THEY WILL NOT PROMOTE YOU

put it like this, partners are responsible for getting in clients so to speak, now if you are an excellent worker/manager etc etc and there is another person for that role who is not as good but has a degree - the firm will choose you as at the end of the day you will bring in more business
Reply 36
YouAreWhatYouEat
ALL big4 firms provide you with REAL w/e, you do the SAME thing in just a different company

I was speaking about PwC as a company in general. Although all of the Big 4 may offer similar work, I have heard of experiences (in many lines of work) where you are just left to do the most boring un-insightful tasks.
i got a 2:2 from a top 3 university in economics, and pwc said i can apply for this programme, and not graduate tax as i didnt get a 2:1,so i have to do att etc, is it worth applying for even though its for people who just finished a-levels?
Reply 38
I think you'd be crazy to skip university. What happens if you don't actually like accountancy? or you get made redundant in another recession?

Not to mention the fact that university can really help you mature and develop (as well as all the other fun parts). Hell you might find something even more interesting you want a career in.

A degree gives you flexibility - it gives you options and frankly in times like these you'll want all the flexibility you can get. University is hard (especially if you take a tough subject) but it'll make you more confident about your abilities - you don't want to feel inferior to your colleagues because you never tested yourself at the highest levels. If you can do the accountancy exams you can get through university.
Reply 39
Hey

Has anyone been accepted on to the Headstart Tax programme, I have an assessment day coming up and not too sure what to expect???? PM me! Also let me know if you are enjoying it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply