The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by crazychef
I was interviewed there and it is a fair walk away... Everyone was very friendly though :smile: Not mad on the pastel sofas in the jcr...

Oh tell me about it, sorry about those, that purchase was out of our hands :frown:

Original post by dbmag9
I had to run there for interview once, it was not fun. Then spent five minutes trying to find the actual entrance. :p:

Applicants: nothing in Oxford is actually far; within two weeks of arriving a 15-minute walk genuinely seems like a massive trek.

Why didn't someone send you in taxi? Hugh's has a massive taxi budget for interviews simply for this purpose hahah and we had so many lost applicants during interview week this year :colondollar:

the truth in Oxford is though that everything is 20 minutes away (if you walk fast enough/get a bike . . .)
Reply 81
2 Questions;

Do people use bikes at Oxford?

Anyone here doing maths at Oxford? Interested in what this is like.
Original post by james22

Yes, alot. Can be dependent on which college you are at though, I live quite central and some of my friends have not felt the need to obtain one yet.. However if you are a pedestrian in Oxford, expect to be constantly in fear for your life from the constant swarm of student cyclists (especially just before/after lectures begin/end).

Good day sir, what would you like to know? :biggrin:
Reply 83
Original post by james22

I could not function without my bike. See earlier comments suggesting my college is probably nearer Birmingham than the Bodleian Library
Original post by dbmag9
Aww, boring. Make up a ridiculous/inappropriate/amusing question. :yep:

Hmm, since I can't sleep- How's the drug trade?

What do people eat? ( I know a Cambridge engineer who survives on crumpets, lol)

Do y'all keep your bikes outside all night?

I told you I had no questions :tongue:
What an awesome thread!

I have one question.. Does anyone play golf at Oxford? If yes, do you know how often and how expensive it is? I'm trying to decide whether to bring my equipment from Denmark.. :smile:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
This question's really random, but I was wondering: how good do you need to be to get into the university orchestras? (I play viola.)

Looking for the 'most pointless question to have before you've even got the grades' award.
The answer to this question is going to be very different for you than it is for me :tongue:
Reply 87
Original post by james22

lol - i think Oxford is actually saturated with bikes. If there were any more bikes, people would have to start taking them into lectures with them because there are no free bike racks/railings. Ever.
Original post by Razzmatazzi
Yes, alot. Can be dependent on which college you are at though, I live quite central and some of my friends have not felt the need to obtain one yet.. However if you are a pedestrian in Oxford, expect to be constantly in fear for your life from the constant swarm of student cyclists (especially just before/after lectures begin/end).

Good day sir, what would you like to know? :biggrin:

Hey, :biggrin: How are you finding the work load currently in maths (you're in the first year right?).
Original post by AnimalSpirit
I have one question.. Does anyone play golf at Oxford? If yes, do you know how often and how expensive it is? I'm trying to decide whether to bring my equipment from Denmark.. :smile:

http://www.ougc.com/

:sheep:
Reply 90
Original post by james22
2 Questions;

Yeah, Oxford is filled with bikes. I haven't got one myself yet since I don't have to go too far (read: further than 15 minutes walk) for anything, but since both maths and philosophy are moving to a new site near Somerville I'll have to get one eventually.

Original post by Your New Shoes
Hmm, since I can't sleep- How's the drug trade?

What do people eat? ( I know a Cambridge engineer who survives on crumpets, lol)

Do y'all keep your bikes outside all night?

I told you I had no questions :tongue:

No idea about prices relative to elsewhere, but at least one friend of mine manages to stay supplied in termtime. What people eat depends a lot on where they live, I imagine; I eat most of my food in hall, since it's cheap and plentiful (four-course lunch for £2.70 - win), but next year I'll probably have a more convenient kitchen and will live slightly further away from the hall, so I might end up making more of my own food. For people who do that it's just the regular student fare, and there are a lot of threads about it.

Merton has a bike shed (featured on the cover of the Logic Manual, no less); I suspect most colleges have similar things. But pretty much every railing in Oxford has bikes on it too.

What an awesome thread!

Oxford has cuppers (inter-college) Quiddich; pretty certain they have golf. :p:
Original post by dbmag9
Yeah, Oxford is filled with bikes. I haven't got one myself yet since I don't have to go too far (read: further than 15 minutes walk) for anything, but since both maths and philosophy are moving to a new site near Somerville I'll have to get one eventually.
Where abouts do Philosophy lectures take place?
Original post by Ja-m-ie
I'll add my wisdom too :smile:

Where I'm at Magdalen and most freshers are in The Waynflete (which is above sainsbury's - extremely convenient!).

We have a laundry room on the third floor that is operated by a laundry card that we top up.

Using the washing machine (7kg) is £1.20 ish and the dryer (about 9kg?) is £1.60 ish.

:hi:

Original post by mabelbarc
Id like to know if the city has a good night life? If the interview is as scary as everyone makes it out to be? What the accommodation for Freshers is like? How many hours a day do they do work? and how many hours is spent inside lectures?

if i think of more i'll add them haha :P

I can only answer the interview one but it really, really wasn't scary! I had two and was really nervous in the first one but still enjoyed it, and actually thoroughly enjoyed the second one :smile: mock interviews help put you at your ease, so I was used to explaining and justifying stuff to random tutors, and I didn't get put off if I turned out to be wrong.
Original post by physicsfuntimes
My boyfriend's a first year chemist, he has enough time for the sports he wants to do (though ended up dropping one as it took too much time, he was supposed to go at least three or four evenings a week, so it can be a factor sometimes). Us scientists never get to any of the day things... I know many scientists who row in the mornings, and most sports I know (any that are remorely serious) have day and evening sessions so you can attend at least one, usually more, a week. And usually a weekend one too.

What an awesome thread!

You are such a pensioner :tongue: Should have gone to St. Andrew's :wink:

Relevant questions: is it generally okay for non-drinkers? I know it's a stupid question, but I'm trying to come up with some.

How do you avoid procrastinating and getting everything done on time?

How do you stay organised and alive despite the workload?

Are any of you in relationships with people at other unis? If so, how often do you see each other?
Original post by such_a_lady

Relevant questions: is it generally okay for non-drinkers? I know it's a stupid question, but I'm trying to come up with some.

How do you avoid procrastinating and getting everything done on time?

How do you stay organised and alive despite the workload?

Are any of you in relationships with people at other unis? If so, how often do you see each other?

It's totally fine for non-drinkers, don't worry :smile:

I found that procrastination simply wasn't an option. There's such a lot of work, and such a lot of fun stuff to do outside work, that I found it natural to settle into a routine of studying. Beware the temptation to pull all-nighters too often, though - once you've done it once it becomes an option for next time... And always talk to a tutor if you're having real problems :smile:
Original post by Frankie

Original post by Frankie
It depends on your course, as a medic I'm pretty busy so I don't have time for too many extra curriculars, its common to do 1 or 2 though :smile: 2 language courses...that might be a bit much but you are there for 3 years, so do one then the other! Its absolutely fine to join a society/club for 1 term/1 year, then do something different the next time :biggrin: ultimately it depends on your course and how organised/good at timekeeping you are.

Some do, you would probably have to check with someone who goes to the college you are going to/want to go to

Ooh - you’re a medic :grin: This might sound a bit silly, but I'm slightly confused over the move from pre-clinical years into clinical; if you're accepted for pre-clinical (as in, you get your offer) am I right in assuming there's no guarantee you’ll be accepted into clinical? And if this is the case what is your entry to clinical school dependant on? (I.e: passing of end of year exams/ academic record etc).

Pensioner? No way! Golf....athlete! :biggrin:

Not that St. Andrews would have bothered me :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Pensioner? No way! Golf....athlete! :biggrin:

God, you sound just like Sven. You two should get married and have golf-obsessed, economically-minded European babies O.o

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ECONOMISTS
God, you sound just like Sven. You two should get married and have golf-obsessed, economically-minded European babies O.o

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ECONOMISTS

Let me correct you on that.. We should not be married and have babies! :s-smilie: :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest