The Student Room Group

Any 17/18 year olds from London?

Hey guys

Are there any 17/18 year olds in London with car insurance right now? I turn 17 this month and I'm ready to pass my theory and all of that stuff.

My biggest worry isn't the test, it's insurance. I've looked at almost every possible car, I put my dad as main driver and me as secondary. I always say either the car is parked in locked garage or on the street, I go for 0.8-1.2 engines. I've tried 1990s, 2004 fiestas and none of them get me anything below ÂŁ7000. I live in the EN4 area of London.

Any help guys? Having a car is urgent for me, since I need it to help my parents and a job too. I've been reading around and trying for months and months now, when I try to get a quote I put myself as a year older, so I can get an idea.

I don't know, maybe it's impossible to have a car here in London at my age. $*!%! I hate this city >_<

I don't care how the car looks, or about features, although air conditioning would be nice. I'd go with a Daewoo Matiz or ANYTHING. As long as it's not pink, I honestly don't care.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you sure you're not doing something wrong? even with a brand new car my insurance wasn't that high

besides, although i don't know your situation, you don't really need a car round london. And if your insurance really is about 7000, then not getting a car will be helping your parents
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure. If there's anything else I can try just let me know.
Dad as main driver + you as secondary..

That's why....

Being a named driver is only really cheaper when your dad already has insurance.

My mates go theirs for ÂŁ2000 ~ being a named driver, but their parents already had insurance..
Reply 4
Check your estimated miles. I accidentally had mine at 30,000 when I meant 3,000.
Reply 5
Nothing helps. I've tried being the main driver and my miles were also set to 3k.

Am I doomed?
OMDZ ME TOO
IM A GUY INSURANCE = ÂŁ5,OOO FOR A FIAT PUNTO 2002.

The car i want on the other hand is a ford fiesta
Reply 7
insurance is a nightmare! the quotes i receive are ridiculous. The lowest ive got so far is 4k and that's without the dreaded smartbox fitted.
Reply 8
I'd be happy with ÂŁ3000 the cheapest I can get ÂŁ11,000 with Nissan Micra. I think I'm destined not to drive :frown:
in Hendon (NW london)

ÂŁ260 TPO, 17yo, 0 NCB, on L plates Yamaha SR125
ÂŁ215 TPO, 18yo, 1 NCB, Honda Bros 400 (full licence)
ÂŁ315 TPFT, 19yo, 2 NCB, Honda Bros 400

:smug:
Reply 10
how about you get on the bus?
i was seventeen when i first got insurance and my parents added me to their policy so it came to around ÂŁ1.8 for the three of us. hope that helps :smile:
try ingenie or insurethebox or one of them - annoying as **** having a box in your car but saves a ton of cash usually
Original post by oh_1993
how about you get on the bus?

What about if we can't use the bus. I'm not spending cash on train were i will be stuck next to some guy stinking of BO.

Or what about taking the bus late in the night at around 11, waiting 30mins at the bus stop. Only to get on to see a drunken man talking to himself trying to hump my leg. (Happened to me before and im a guy).
Reply 14
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
What about if we can't use the bus. I'm not spending cash on train were i will be stuck next to some guy stinking of BO.

Or what about taking the bus late in the night at around 11, waiting 30mins at the bus stop. Only to get on to see a drunken man talking to himself trying to hump my leg. (Happened to me before and im a guy).

Why would you not be able to use a bus? They would be cheaper and far more frequent and reliable if people used them more instead of buying a car and getting in their way. People driving who don't need to are the problem.
Reply 15
I NEED a car. My mum is disabled and I need to drive her to appointments and places that her carer can't take her.

If I was alone, using the bus would be alright-ish I guess, just as I do now. But I'd need the car for my job too.
Original post by oh_1993
Why would you not be able to use a bus? They would be cheaper and far more frequent and reliable if people used them more instead of buying a car and getting in their way. People driving who don't need to are the problem.

You ever tried getting from croydon to hackney on just a bus?

You ever tried getting to crawley from croydon using a bus?

London is a big city takes a few hours to get from one side to another which on the other hand in a car would take half the time. Also i would like to say that young individuals that live in london usually like to venture out of their own city. You should note oyster cards only work in london, so if your out side of london no free bus fare, you will also be limited to what areas to go to, since most of the the time trains,buses may not go by your destination (not fun walking for 40+mins were there's no side walk etc).
(edited 11 years ago)
See my PM. (didnt want to post all details of my insurance on an open forum!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me
You ever tried getting from croydon to hackney on just a bus?

You ever tried getting to crawley from croydon using a bus?

London is a big city takes a few hours to get from one side to another which on the other hand in a car would take half the time. Also i would like to say that young individuals that live in london usually like to venture out of their own city. You should note oyster cards only work in london, so if your out side of london no free bus fare, you will also be limited to what areas to go to, since most of the the time trains,buses may not go by your destination (not fun walking for 40+mins were there's no side walk etc).

I agree it is a pain using buses in London, but still if you drive when you don't strictly need to you are making it even harder for the people who have no choice. It seems in the case of the OP it would be necessary to use a car but what irritates me is people at my college who complain about getting stuck in traffic on the way to college in their cars and about parking issues when there is cheap, fast 10 minute bus to college that goes right past their house.
Reply 19
Original post by Matthew320
I NEED a car. My mum is disabled and I need to drive her to appointments and places that her carer can't take her.

If I was alone, using the bus would be alright-ish I guess, just as I do now. But I'd need the car for my job too.

Motab?

Quick Reply