The Student Room Group

Snooker

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mau5
Oh dear. :facepalm2:

Ali_Carter_Monday_Final_847275.jpg

snooker facepalm
Sports personality of the year gotta be ronnie this year.
Original post by green.tea
Sports personality of the year gotta be ronnie this year.

In an Olympic and footballing European Championships year, I'd consider that highly unlikely.
Original post by marcusmerehay
In an Olympic and footballing European Championships year, I'd consider that highly unlikely.

Is redgrave at the olympics? No. Therefore must be ronnie.
Original post by Gary Barlow
I have no tolerance for these miscreants, i even saw an occasion where a player fluked a shot and did not apologise to his opponent.

Nah but in all seriousness theres been quite a few more rowdy drunkards in who bowl in after getting kicked out the pub and cause a ruckus, spilling drinks on tables and the like.

I've avoided my local snooker club over the last few weeks because of the expectation that everybody will be in there having a go because they saw 30 minutes of it on the tv :lol:
Is redgrave at the olympics? No. Therefore must be ronnie.

That's a very blinkered view, as the last three Olympics have provided award winners (Redgrave in 2000, Holmes in 2004 and Hoy in 2008).

They haven't even been contested yet, and being on English soil only makes it all the more likely an Olympian will win it.
That's a very blinkered view, as the last three Olympics have provided award winners (Redgrave in 2000, Holmes in 2004 and Hoy in 2008).

They haven't even been contested yet, and being on English soil only makes it all the more likely an Olympian will win it.

5 gold medals tho. Beckham won it once and he was an overpaid **** with a stupid voice who cost us that argentina game. Ronnies calling that 147 was up there with ali at his greatest.

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD TO RONNIE!
(edited 11 years ago)
5 gold medals tho. Beckham won it once and he was an overpaid **** with a stupid voice who cost us that argentina game. Ronnies calling that 147 was up there with ali at his greatest.

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD TO RONNIE!

Ronnie didn't get a 147 though as far as I know - that was Stephen Hendry I thought?
Ronnie didn't get a 147 though as far as I know - that was Stephen Hendry I thought?

[video="youtube;uAyAdzsirE0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAyAdzsirE0[/video]
[video="youtube;uAyAdzsirE0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAyAdzsirE0[/video]

But that's from two years ago? :dontknow:
But that's from two years ago? :dontknow:

Lifetime achievement award. :smile:
lol Ronnie should win it as he is one of the few sportmen who actually have a personality.

Can't wait for the olympics where every athlete will give the most scripted interview answers under order of Seb Coe's Stasi.
"So Chris Hoy, thats a great win there."
"Yeah, just want to thank everyone at team GB, my trainer, my mum & dad for believing in me, all the supporters who came out, my sponsors at kellogs for giving me the fuel to win and most of all Kirkpatrick Macmillan for inventing the bicycle and making this race possible" zzzzzzzz

England will no doubt be average in the euros so i dont see any of them winning it. But yeah, it will go to some model athlete in the olympics.
Does the public not get tired of this "yeah it's amazing" attitude given by sports people.

Stephen Hendry may pick up a gong seeing as he's retired, lifetime contribution or something if that even exists.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ronnies speech would be better.

"must mean a lot to you getting this award ronnie"

"Na, not really. I just came for the free drinks really. Jensen button shouldve got this. At least his sport isnt totally boring."

"I see. Any reason your wearing a towel on your head?"

"Why not"
I liked how alex's daughter called snooker boring. I got the impression she was very grateful to ronnie for what he did there. He's a good guy.
I think the best thing for snooker would be to have uk champs just for uk players. China champs same. How is it a uk championship with chinese players? Itd be good for chinese snooker too because their players would get tournament experience. I see no point at all to a german open. Americans dont have uk open baseball. In basketball anyone can compete in the world champs and set up their own stuff for domestic and regional comps.

What about Ding 2005?
Original post by Raiden10
What about Ding 2005?

You could have a ranking open in each country with a top 100 player and a non ranking championship the winners of which compete in a re worked masters.
That's not very conducive to raising the profile of snooker in other countries though.

The Asian snooker bodies will want to host the big UK names as much as we want to host theirs.
That's not very conducive to raising the profile of snooker in other countries though.

The Asian snooker bodies will want to host the big UK names as much as we want to host theirs.

My idea means they can do that and also encourage their own talent along with a high profile televised national tournament.
Been on form with my playing the past couple of days.

A question to anyone who plays semi competitively. Do you score higher breaks playing against a better or worse opponent?
Played a friend who's newer to the game today and i couldn't break over 15. Whereas yesterday i was fairly consistently making 14 - 20 against a friend who's a good player.
I put it down to the balls being scattered everywhere against the newbie each game, rather than spotted colours.
I think the best thing for snooker would be to have uk champs just for uk players. China champs same. How is it a uk championship with chinese players? Itd be good for chinese snooker too because their players would get tournament experience. I see no point at all to a german open. Americans dont have uk open baseball. In basketball anyone can compete in the world champs and set up their own stuff for domestic and regional comps.

Back in the early 1980s only the world championships counted towards the ranking list - the results from the previous three counted, 5 for winning, 4 for ru, 3 for SF, 2 for qfs and 1 for last 16.

Back then until 1984 the UK championships was only open to players who held a British passport. It was only when they started offering the ranking points for other events that the UK became a ranker and had to open up to all.

The Chinese national championships don't have to have any non Chinese players as its not a ranking tournament.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire

Quick Reply

Latest