The Student Room Group

Architecture at Plymouth or Nottingham Trent? Help, please...

Hey!
These days I am all the time wondering what should I do. Damn it :redface: I didnt expect it would be so hard..I really want to make the right choice.. I got unsuccessful from Northumbria, which was my greatest desire, now I dont know what to do. I have offers from Huddersfield, Plymouth and Nottingham Trent, still waiting Queens Belfast ( if somehow I get in I will choose belfast, but I have no chances for an offer as I cant go for an interview there, I am not from the UK, and I think they wont accept digital portfolio).
However, I am now considering the offers from Plymouth and Nottingham Trent, I think Huddersfield is not that good uni for architecture. I would really appreciate some help and advices. I am soooooo confused :confused: What do you think would be the best choice?!? :rolleyes:
Reply 1
Please...someone?!? Anyone? :frown:
Reply 2
I would say Nottingham Trent is more respected than Plymouth. But it depends on what you want from your degree, Plymouth is know for its art related degrees, so if your art is a strong point I would choose Plymouth. From what I've heard about Trent they have just upgraded all of their equipment and so it has really good facilities which would obviously be useful for the degree, and is a good sign for the quality of the teaching of the degree. But I completely agree that these two are by far the best, if you can achieve the grades go for Plymouth of Trent, depending on which you would feel is right for you.
Claire888, where does the impression that Plymouth and Trent have better architecture courses than Huddersfield come from?

@TriGiii
I'm from Newcastle and looked around Northumbria University before deciding to come to Huddersfield.
As a Huddersfield University Architecture student, call me bias but the course is apparently under-rated. It is quickly gaining recognition from employers, and external examiners for it's students work.

Here you will be pushed to your potential. The tutors all have their individual approaches to Architecture, which gives you diverse and deep perspectives. This helps you to find what constitutes your design interests in this vast field.

As far as facilities go, a lot of investment recently went into our basement workshop equipment including a new laser-cutter that can cut through steel.

Then there's the Architecture International course. During my stay here I've done a urban study of Berlin, Toured Holland and I'm currently doing my final project after analysing Melaka, Malaysia. Aswell as this there are probably as many foreign students on the course as well as British which brings an even richer enviroment...

There's loads more,
If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask

- Dean :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Van-der-Vord
Claire888, where does the impression that Plymouth and Trent have better architecture courses than Huddersfield come from?

@TriGiii
I'm from Newcastle and looked around Northumbria University before deciding to come to Huddersfield.
As a Huddersfield University Architecture student, call me bias but the course is apparently under-rated. It is quickly gaining recognition from employers, and external examiners for it's students work.

Here you will be pushed to your potential. The tutors all have their individual approaches to Architecture, which gives you diverse and deep perspectives. This helps you to find what constitutes your design interests in this vast field.

As far as facilities go, a lot of investment recently went into our basement workshop equipment including a new laser-cutter that can cut through steel.

Then there's the Architecture International course. During my stay here I've done a urban study of Berlin, Toured Holland and I'm currently doing my final project after analysing Melaka, Malaysia. Aswell as this there are probably as many foreign students on the course as well as British which brings an even richer enviroment...

There's loads more,
If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask

- Dean :biggrin:

What I've highlighted is one of the reasons why I think it is less respected. It is not generally known for architecture, which isn't a particularly good sign. Honestly I don't know a great deal about it (so don't take too much offence, sorry if I have offended you) but I never looked at it because of the general opinion of architects I talked to when on work experience. All I can say is if you get architecture students from any of these places they will all have good things to say about their university, so don't make a decision on this alone. Choose by where you believe YOU will fit in most.
No worries, I don't take offence :smile:

Not all students are happy with their course and like I said, call me bias, i.e. I acknowledge I am not in a position where I have experienced all of the universities so I suppose I'm in a similar position as Cliare888.

I can say FIRST HAND Huddersfield has provided me with a liberating environment and all the objective things I said above about the international course and facilities still stand. One way I can fairly compare the universities is through the standard of work they produce but you can make that call yourself if you visit. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Muscovite
I would say the University of Nottingham is far better than Nottingham Trent University, why don't you apply to some redbricks instead? :smile:

They have already applied, as they have offers. And I'm sure they already realise this as it is well known
(edited 12 years ago)
I visited the University of Nottingham stand at Ecobuild a couple of weeks ago and spoke to some of the students. I agree with Muscovite University of Nottingham is better than Trent. If you're going on media reputation redbricks generally come out on top for all sorts of reasons but it is not always the case and could add to the confusion.

If you're looking for elite schools of architecture UCL and the AA are the most highly acclaimed. More so than Cambridge for example.

Here is an example of work from Huddersfield from 2 years back: http://www.presidentsmedals.com/Project_Details.aspx?id=2603

Where do your interests in architecture lie? What do you like? What allures you to the subject?
Reply 8
Hi! Thanks a lot to all of you for the quick response (: I have a great affinity for art, physics and especially math. Thats why I decided to study architecture. Now I am 50 -50 Plymouth I like because it is more art orientated (I am more for the art) and Trent - well they have good facilities. Are these universities so bad because when I chose them I thought they are quite good. I read some forums and ranking lists .... I know these unis are not the best but.. I didnt want to shoot for the stars and then end up with no opportunities. So now I have to choose between this ones and I dont want to take the wrong decision.

Original post by Muscovite
Yeah sorry didn't read the post properly
Although if they did know it - they should have worked for the grades to go to a redbrick, call me an elitist though :ninja:

I did know which are the best ones and what grades they expect, but it was unthinkable that I can get into a readbrick. Actually, I was a good student (I am in a gap year now) in my country the grade system is different but normally converted to the UK's I have something between AAB and AAA. However, I think it would have been quite impossible to get into Bath, UCL, Cambridge or some other really good ones because I didnt have art classes at school (but I had private lessons)which is a big disadvantage. My counselor said that even if I had the highest grade it just wont be the same for the universities as AAA, because I havent studied in the UK and amm- its not that respected :frown:
Original post by TriGiii
Hi! Thanks a lot to all of you for the quick response (: I have a great affinity for art, physics and especially math. Thats why I decided to study architecture. Now I am 50 -50 Plymouth I like because it is more art orientated (I am more for the art) and Trent - well they have good facilities. Are these universities so bad because when I chose them I thought they are quite good. I read some forums and ranking lists .... I know these unis are not the best but.. I didnt want to shoot for the stars and then end up with no opportunities. So now I have to choose between this ones and I dont want to take the wrong decision.

I did know which are the best ones and what grades they expect, but it was unthinkable that I can get into a readbrick. Actually, I was a good student (I am in a gap year now) in my country the grade system is different but normally converted to the UK's I have something between AAB and AAA. However, I think it would have been quite impossible to get into Bath, UCL, Cambridge or some other really good ones because I didnt have art classes at school (but I had private lessons)which is a big disadvantage. My counselor said that even if I had the highest grade it just wont be the same for the universities as AAA, because I havent studied in the UK and amm- its not that respected :frown:

Plymouth Plymouth Plymouth !!! :tongue: I loved it when I went to the open day and the course sounded great and the work studios are big the city is lovely and it's all close together no buses needed plus you will have me as a course mate :wink: haha jokes but good luck with making your decision if you pick Plymouth add me :biggrin: http://www.facebook.com/nickwmoores also me and a friend have organised a pre freshers night out if your interested in coming probably just after results day good chance to make some friends before hand even tho there will be plenty of time in Freshers :tongue: good luck with results and exams :smile:
I'm from plymouth..

Don't come here please.

Thanks
Original post by TriGiii

Also I just read your on gap year so you don't need that luck for your exams :tongue: but have fun on your gap done anything fun? Also I never did Art either and they really didn't mind that at Plymouth and even after speaking to some of the third years they hadn't and they learnt so much it doesn't matter if you haven't got an art background there their to get it out of you and help you and teach you. Where as I felt at a lot of other unis they expect you to have done art at A level and be able to do lots of amazing pieces before you start and I didn't there I felt I'd get all the help I needed and I wouldn't struggle and fall behind and the ranking doesn't do it justice they've jumped up after new course leader and I reckon it will be carrying on that way.
Reply 12
Wow. Thanks for all posting up replies. I thought no one would ever write :biggrin: However, I actually got into Queens Belfast - unconditional. It was so unexpected :smile: and I so happy. So I didn't have to choose between Plymouth and Trent because Belfast is what I want. Thanks again and for the invitation NickW-Moores. :Pp

Quick Reply

Latest