The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brianop
Looking at your other options, it was probably the dumbest thing to do to make durham your insurance.

Erm not really, UCL is london and I don't want to go to Uni in London (didnt realise until after I applied), Warwick had STEP offer, St Andrews nah. I acknowledge Warwick>Durham but surely not by that great a margin.
Original post by maths134
Erm not really, UCL is london and I don't want to go to Uni in London (didnt realise until after I applied), Warwick had STEP offer, St Andrews nah. I acknowledge Warwick>Durham but surely not by that great a margin.

If you being the 'target' theory then he's got a point. Warwick and UCL are targets, Durham are not and in terms of Maths Warwick>>> Durham, only inferior to Cambridge. I'm sure the Warwick STEP offer is relatively low?
Original post by Tsunami2011
If you being the 'target' theory then he's got a point. Warwick and UCL are targets, Durham are not and in terms of Maths Warwick>>> Durham, only inferior to Cambridge. I'm sure the Warwick STEP offer is relatively low?

I've already declined it , now I have Camb as firm and Durham as insurance. i just wanted to know what my chances were like if I end up at Durham?
Reply 8563
hi all,

This maybe quite specific, hope some of the german/UK students can help me. How do you rate the chance of getting in to consulting with a A&F Bsc from Warwick vs. a Management Bsc from WHU?..I personally prefer Warwick for its international reputation but worry about my chances due to so many other top schools in the U.K. WHU at least has an outstanding employability rate within Germany in these industries. However, eyeing that I want to do a MBA or do an international Masters later, I am not whether I would be disadvantaged by a WHU degree.

How do you rate Warwick vs. WHU?
Reply 8564
Ok
(edited 11 years ago)
No one answered... is a Maths degree from Durham sufficient for IB?
Reply 8566

No one knows the secret percentages. Maths --> Quant-like = good, Durham --> Quite a few from Durham get in to IBs = good. So it won't hold you back too much, but it doesn't matter whether you're from Cambridge or Durham, if you're not gonna make the extra effort, then uni name won't save you. Too many variables here.
Reply 8567

Don't get me wrong, it is certainly good enough for IB..but a maths student from the others would have it that extra bit easier.
Original post by TomasK
No one knows the secret percentages. Maths --> Quant-like = good, Durham --> Quite a few from Durham get in to IBs = good. So it won't hold you back too much, but it doesn't matter whether you're from Cambridge or Durham, if you're not gonna make the extra effort, then uni name won't save you. Too many variables here.

Original post by Brianop
Don't get me wrong, it is certainly good enough for IB..but a maths student from the others would have it that extra bit easier.

Thanks, I thought this was the case, i just wanted to know it was still humanly possible and not totally out of reach (ie if no connections etc). So thanks for replying.
Original post by liydpb
MSc Economics Nottingham or Warwick Master Business (Accouting finance stream)

As I only got an 2:1 so I cant get in lse. Which one of above grant me more chances to get into IBD in Banks ?

Warwick
I've already declined it , now I have Camb as firm and Durham as insurance. i just wanted to know what my chances were like if I end up at Durham?

Still very possible. Yes, declining some of your other choices in hindsight may be a bad decision, but Durham is fine - gets about 4 times less into banking than UCL. Basically, you just need to work your way into the top few people at Durham and then you should be able to get interviews.
Original post by Brianop
Ok so what about:

Biology at Warwick, Biology at Durham, Biology at Exeter, Theology at Exeter for an investment banking position (Front office and middle office)?

Please don't quote this comment in your response. Cheers

Going to quote you anyway. Warwick is the best for IB (FO and MO), even though Exeter and Durham are as good as it for biology. Whether you study biology or theology won't matter.
Reply 8572
Might sound stupid, but could you break into investment banking with an LSE actuarial science degree?
Reply 8573
Original post by JoeFo
Might sound stupid, but could you break into investment banking with an LSE actuarial science degree?

yes its a very good degree.
Reply 8574
Would a BA in geography (focussing more on human geogaphy) from King College London.. Be a degree that could get me a job in the city - banking/finance/stockbroking
Reply 8575
Would an msc in advanced computer science from cambridge/ucl be good enough for quant positions?
Reply 8576
Medicine ?
Reply 8577
Original post by bmqib
Would an msc in advanced computer science from cambridge/ucl be good enough for quant positions?

I'm not sure some would some wouldn't. I've heard that some roles ask for phd students but im sure you can do something good with a msc.
For anyone in the know, in terms of pre-university internships/work exp what would look better on the CV out of the following.. 3 weeks at DB in a BO role or 6/8 weeks in FO at a second tier bank.
Reply 8579
Original post by Tsunami2011
For anyone in the know, in terms of pre-university internships/work exp what would look better on the CV out of the following.. 3 weeks at DB in a BO role or 6/8 weeks in FO at a second tier bank.

Surely 6/8 weeks in FO at 2nd tier.

Latest

Trending

Trending